Looking into the W220 S600...info please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Looking into the W220 S600...info please

Well, within the next 6 months or so I plan on getting back into a Benz. I've been thinking about a W211 E55. Probably like a 2003 with 60-80k miles, since my budget will be under the $25K for payment.

I recently noticed that 2003 S600's are about the same price as the E55's. I can't pass up the sound of a V12TT.

I know the E55 is faster/lighter, but I want to hear all the good things about the S600's

Are they too heavy to be a fast car, do they feel heavy? How is the suspension on these cars?

The car I have now has about 300hp, so I know I'd love the 493 in the 600.

Can someone tell me some major problems these cars may have? Are they more or less expensive then an AMG to fix? I know quite a bit about the E55's, I just need to know more about the S600.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
I bought a 2005 S600 recently and think its a dream to drive. I have been driving bmw v12s for last 7 years and felt they were the best until I drove the 600TT. It took me some time to get used to the silent power of the benz.... you don't feel the power like you do in a bmw (something I had gotten accustomed to).

The 600 comes with all the features standard... my favorite being the ride height feature which comes in real handy over rough roads and city streets (the salt has torn up alot of streets here in chicago). The same road that was a nightmare in some cars becomes virtually unnoticeable when car is at maximum height. The car is ideal for passengers... the seats are about as comfortable as BMW. From reading old posts my understanding is the 600 uses a special hydraulic suspension that simulates the air ride of the S500 but feels much sportier.

I believe the 600 is probably faster at higher speeds than the E55... it ramps up so fast that it becomes really hard to keep an eye on the speedometer. It doesn't feel like a heavy car with the ABC Sports mode on... but I'm still not comfortable pulling cuts passed a 100 on it... mostly cuz its too powerful. If you are not careful you can easily rear end the guy in front of you.

If you are a lead foot, be prepared to stop for gas every other day. I don't think its that pricey because I'm usually only filling 16 gallons.

The 600 is supposed to be under rated, it actually outputs close to 540 hp (according to some members of this site). I have a hard time judging it as the power just sneaks up and you don't really feel like you are going that fast even at 130 mph.

The stereo in the car is unfreakin believable... I wonder if they used the same kind of stuff in the maybach. I really love the surrond sound. If anyone knows if other cars have stereos that are remotely similar please let me know... because I am near dumb founded by the one I have. I used to be the guy who would strip the stereo out of the car once I got it and through some subwoofers in the trunk.

The look and finish is pretty nice... I love the thick gloss coating on the wood panels but not sure if its particular to just the 600.

My favorite line I read somewhere on the forum is "the 600 seperates the men from the boys."' There is something to that.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Reckless
I bought a 2005 S600 recently and think its a dream to drive. I have been driving bmw v12s for last 7 years and felt they were the best until I drove the 600TT. It took me some time to get used to the silent power of the benz.... you don't feel the power like you do in a bmw (something I had gotten accustomed to).

The 600 comes with all the features standard... my favorite being the ride height feature which comes in real handy over rough roads and city streets (the salt has torn up alot of streets here in chicago). The same road that was a nightmare in some cars becomes virtually unnoticeable when car is at maximum height. The car is ideal for passengers... the seats are about as comfortable as BMW. From reading old posts my understanding is the 600 uses a special hydraulic suspension that simulates the air ride of the S500 but feels much sportier.

I believe the 600 is probably faster at higher speeds than the E55... it ramps up so fast that it becomes really hard to keep an eye on the speedometer. It doesn't feel like a heavy car with the ABC Sports mode on... but I'm still not comfortable pulling cuts passed a 100 on it... mostly cuz its too powerful. If you are not careful you can easily rear end the guy in front of you.

If you are a lead foot, be prepared to stop for gas every other day. I don't think its that pricey because I'm usually only filling 16 gallons.

The 600 is supposed to be under rated, it actually outputs close to 540 hp (according to some members of this site). I have a hard time judging it as the power just sneaks up and you don't really feel like you are going that fast even at 130 mph.

The stereo in the car is unfreakin believable... I wonder if they used the same kind of stuff in the maybach. I really love the surrond sound. If anyone knows if other cars have stereos that are remotely similar please let me know... because I am near dumb founded by the one I have. I used to be the guy who would strip the stereo out of the car once I got it and through some subwoofers in the trunk.

The look and finish is pretty nice... I love the thick gloss coating on the wood panels but not sure if its particular to just the 600.

My favorite line I read somewhere on the forum is "the 600 seperates the men from the boys."' There is something to that.
Wow! Great info. Thanks.

Sounds like a very nice car, I'm sure that's an understatement.

I like that last statement. I think it may be time to make the jump into manhood

So do these cars have 24 spark plugs??

I'm not thrilled about the gas mileage it gets. I don't want it to be the main reason I get rid of it one day...but that power is what I'd love.

540...Wow! That's awesome. I do have somewhat of a lead foot. That's why I ask about suspension and if it feels like a heavy car. I like to pass people on the interstate when they go the speed limit in the left lane. I try not to drive crazy though. I'd think I'd feel grown up in this car...which isn't a bad thing....It's time to anyhow.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
Wow! Great info. Thanks.

Sounds like a very nice car, I'm sure that's an understatement.

I like that last statement. I think it may be time to make the jump into manhood

So do these cars have 24 spark plugs??

I'm not thrilled about the gas mileage it gets. I don't want it to be the main reason I get rid of it one day...but that power is what I'd love.

540...Wow! That's awesome. I do have somewhat of a lead foot. That's why I ask about suspension and if it feels like a heavy car. I like to pass people on the interstate when they go the speed limit in the left lane. I try not to drive crazy though. I'd think I'd feel grown up in this car...which isn't a bad thing....It's time to anyhow.
Yes, 24 spark plugs. You need to disassemble a lot of things in order to get to them...

You really need to drive a car that has ABC suspension like the S600 does... it's something wicked. When you flip on ABC Sport, the car corrects 95% of body roll... it does not feel like a heavy car in any way.. rock solid around turns. Acceleration is like going down a steep hill on a roller coaster.. the power is smooth, and is smooth as butter, no jerking, neck twisting, etc.. but once the turbos are up to speed pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh see ya later!

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oxygen
Yes, 24 spark plugs. You need to disassemble a lot of things in order to get to them...

You really need to drive a car that has ABC suspension like the S600 does... it's something wicked. When you flip on ABC Sport, the car corrects 95% of body roll... it does not feel like a heavy car in any way.. rock solid around turns. Acceleration is like going down a steep hill on a roller coaster.. the power is smooth, and is smooth as butter, no jerking, neck twisting, etc.. but once the turbos are up to speed pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh see ya later!

Good luck!

I think I'm sold...Now I just have to find one I can afford.

What other cars have this ABC suspension? And where can I find more info on this suspension other then doing a search of course.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I think I'm sold...Now I just have to find one I can afford.

What other cars have this ABC suspension? And where can I find more info on this suspension other then doing a search of course.
Cool.. don't forget that with a simple ECU and TCU flash upgrade, BMC filters, IC pump, upgraded IC coolant lines and maybe a little exhaust work you will be cranking out 640HP and 775LB-FT Torque.. and thats up from the stock 493HP and 590LB-FT Torque.

If you were in the NY area I could have shown you the car you would be sold. I have a few other things as well as the stuff listed above under the hood too.

As far as ABC goes..

My post about it: https://mbworld.org/forums/3304983-post41.html

Some stuff you can do as preventative maintenance: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...rol-rodeo.html
Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I think that you will find a lot of great information on this forum, along with a bunch of random stuff and lots of bad grammar and spelling (sort of ironic, considering this is the Mercedes S-Class forum.. )

I believe that pictures speak a thousand words on here and most of the time people get harshly judged for some reason lol I don't know why but it's usually funny..
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's awesome. I wanted an S65, but I see that the 600 can also get up there as well and are much cheaper.

That is some crazy HP and TQ. Later I'll look up all of those parts.

And to think....I was in Maine a little more then a year ago. I'm in the Coast Guard, so there's no telling where I'll be in the next couple years.

I was reading a post in the E55 threads, it seem someone had the exact same questions I had, and you sold him on the 600 also.

I already knew I wanted 600, I just had to hear it from the people that owned them.

Have you have any problems with the car? Or know of any really bad issues?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Have you have any problems with the car? Or know of any really bad issues?
The only problem is located between the seat and the steering wheel hahaha but seriously no and no... just get a CPO with a warranty.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think that you will find a lot of great information on this forum, along with a bunch of random stuff and lots of bad grammar and spelling (sort of ironic, considering this is the Mercedes S-Class forum.. )

I believe that pictures speak a thousand words on here and most of the time people get harshly judged for some reason lol I don't know why but it's usually funny..

I have been looking around so far, and have learned a lot that I'll take into consideration.

I'm on here a lot and hope to get more info. I like your pic of your Benz in your sig. I hope to have one as nice someday
Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only problem is located between the seat and the steering wheel hahaha but seriously no and no... just get a CPO with a warranty.

Good one! I would most likely be the weakest link in this case.

Sounds good thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Reckless
The 600 comes with all the features standard...
Not quite. Distronic, Keyless Go, 4 place seating, rear ventilated seats, electronic trunk closer, heated steering wheel and obviously the AMG and appearance packages were not standard. The 600 comes very well specced up...

I don't know how different the 600 sound system is to the rest of the range but my father's current A8 has a B&O system which is fantastic. Knocks spots off the pretty good Bose one he had in his S500.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Go v12, All the way. Especially if you have never owned one. They are the smothest engines in the world since they are perfectly balanced and do not need couter weights. I have owned 850 and a 750 bmw's and dont get me wrong, bmw v12's are fantastic. But, after test driving a recent model mercedes v12 (2002) on my god. It was like a driving a well orcastrated symphony than a engine. Not to mention you already have enough power to mop the floor with 95% of the cars out there. Stay with a v12. I found a few of them on yahoo auto when i was looking and cars.com. Be patient, do carfax's. Then enjoy.

Last edited by vmystikilv; 02-10-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is there another place besides autotrader and cars.com that is a good place to find cars?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Is there another place besides autotrader and cars.com that is a good place to find cars?
mbusa.com , or is that too obvious?

Exotic Motors have a very nice '05 S600 with 45,000 miles on it for $29,900!! The listing doesn't have pictures but they sent them to my email. It doesn't have the AMG sport package but looks great, and debadged for extra stealthiness
http://www.exotic-motors.com/detail-...0-3837587.html

Last edited by Fraser; 02-11-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Fraser

Exotic Motors have a very nice '05 S600 with 45,000 miles on it for $29,900!! The listing doesn't have pictures but they sent them to my email. It doesn't have the AMG sport package but looks great, and debadged for extra stealthiness
That is a fantastic deal from a very reputable car dealer.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport

Illinois=Rust and Snow.

No Sport Package=****

30k= I wish I saved my $$ and waited another year who knew it would deprieciate 10-15k
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
yahoo.com and Ebay.com. Also, you can try craigslist.com for your local area or search in houston, dallas, atl, & etc from craigslist
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Gondon
Illinois=Rust and Snow.

No Sport Package=****

30k= I wish I saved my $$ and waited another year who knew it would deprieciate 10-15k
Just because it is for sale in Illinois doesn't mean it has resided in Illinois.

Personally I prefer the sport packaged 600s but in certain colours (like silver) they still look great with the 600 exclusive wheels.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'll be frank.

You can't afford this car unless you have at least the purchase price ready for repairs.

yeah...its like that.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I'll be frank.

You can't afford this car unless you have at least the purchase price ready for repairs.

yeah...its like that.
After market warranty?

The 600 I posted above has the last few months of factory warranty on it so you should be able to pick up an aftermarket one for not much money.

I met a guy last month who had an '04 CL500 with a Fidelity Platinum (?) warranty he picked up for a couple of thousand dollars when the factory one expired. Said they were excellent covering costs to replace the rear roller shade when that had problems and such. From the majority of posts I've read here it makes a lot of sense to own one of these with a decent warranty.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, from my experience a warranty should be bought for every Benz.

I've tried most all of these sites already, and haven't found much. The one at exotic motors sounds good though.

I have to have one with the sport package, which I assume includes the amg body kit???

They look too plain and boring to me without it.

Last edited by xlr8tin; 02-11-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600
Well, from my experience a warranty should be bought for every Benz.
+1

My car is at the dealership right now. The ABC pump has failed. The "ABC Visit Workshop" came up on my display in the am and by the afternoon it changed to red on the display and said "drive carefully." Anyhow, they say the part alone is $1,600.00. I'm glad I have a warranty!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
After market warranty?

The 600 I posted above has the last few months of factory warranty on it so you should be able to pick up an aftermarket one for not much money.

I met a guy last month who had an '04 CL500 with a Fidelity Platinum (?) warranty he picked up for a couple of thousand dollars when the factory one expired. Said they were excellent covering costs to replace the rear roller shade when that had problems and such. From the majority of posts I've read here it makes a lot of sense to own one of these with a decent warranty.
sadly very few include the ABC suspension, which is one of the biggest issues with these cars.

That can run at least $5k to fix (not even the whole thing), so a new owner should be prepared for that.

For $26,000, he is buying the first model year, with fairly high mileage. In essence a bargain basement car. As you all know, a cheap MB can be the most expensive MB you'll ever own.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
sadly very few include the ABC suspension, which is one of the biggest issues with these cars.

That can run at least $5k to fix (not even the whole thing), so a new owner should be prepared for that.

For $26,000, he is buying the first model year, with fairly high mileage. In essence a bargain basement car. As you all know, a cheap MB can be the most expensive MB you'll ever own.
Do you know any that do include the ABC? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking into the W220 S600...info please