NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!! 2004 Mercedes S 430 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes S430 4matic

Hello everyone.
I have 2004 Mercedes s430 4matic. I have a problem with fron strut. It has knocking sound in a front while driving . No malfunction display. Mechanic says its front struts. He replaced ball joints, but noise is still there. He advised me to change both struts. Car has 58000 miles. PLEASE advise.
Sincerely
Shalva

Last edited by shalva; 04-08-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM

06 CLK500, 06 S430 4-Matic Sport
Best bet would be to change up the struts in the front and the back, Ive had bad experinces in the past when I have changed just one or two and left the others alone. For example, I had an S2000 and replaced the passenger side front strut w/o replacing the rest. Needless to say I had issues with the car leaning to the right because the strut was a different adjustment then the rest, and also because the other 3 had been broken in at the same pace thereby resulting in a misalignment of the suspension which could never be fixed, and I had to part ways with the car because it was too much to deal with on a car with no traction control.

IMHO you have a great car with relatively low miles, buy some replacement struts for all 4 sides and you shouldnt have this issue for another 100,XXX miles.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jovan101
Best bet would be to change up the struts in the front and the back, Ive had bad experinces in the past when I have changed just one or two and left the others alone. For example, I had an S2000 and replaced the passenger side front strut w/o replacing the rest. Needless to say I had issues with the car leaning to the right because the strut was a different adjustment then the rest, and also because the other 3 had been broken in at the same pace thereby resulting in a misalignment of the suspension which could never be fixed, and I had to part ways with the car because it was too much to deal with on a car with no traction control.

IMHO you have a great car with relatively low miles, buy some replacement struts for all 4 sides and you shouldnt have this issue for another 100,XXX miles.
So do you have any idea on what ONE airmatic costs let alone all 4? I think I paid about $1200 just for the airmatic strut then a couple hundred more to have it installed. So maybe that isn't such great advice. Just replace the bad strut and you will be fine. I had the same problem on my 2000 S500 it knocked from the strut. Some how it came apart on the inside and I was just driving along casually nothing crazy at all. About $1600 later I was all good!
Johan
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM

2004 Mercedes S430 4matic

Thank you for your advise. I really don't know what to do? One says it's struts. others says it's Lower control arms, because bushings rubbers are torn up little bit and it's moving up an down, front and back. It should be steady right???
My mechanic changed ball joints and engine mounts already, But nothing. noise is still there. I think everybody tries to rip you off. Front right strut is brand new and left is original. Before I got car owner changed. my question is - How soon strut can go bad after installing? Some sayes it's not that easy to brake strut, it should be really high miles on a car (mine has only 58000Miles). If anybody can advise me what to do I'll appraciate all efforts.

Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Shalva
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by shalva
Thank you for your advise. I really don't know what to do? One says it's struts. others says it's Lower control arms, because bushings rubbers are torn up little bit and it's moving up an down, front and back. It should be steady right???
My mechanic changed ball joints and engine mounts already, But nothing. noise is still there. I think everybody tries to rip you off. Front right strut is brand new and left is original. Before I got car owner changed. my question is - How soon strut can go bad after installing? Some sayes it's not that easy to brake strut, it should be really high miles on a car (mine has only 58000Miles). If anybody can advise me what to do I'll appraciate all efforts.

Sincerely,

Shalva
A bad bushing can very well cause a knocking sound. There shouldn't be any "play" movement with the control arms. I would also check your outer tie rods. When those are worn, you'll have play in the steering and can get knocking sounds when steering. Just make sure everything else checks out before you fork out $$$ for a strut.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
My makes a knocking sound sometimes when turning from extreme left to extreme right...
Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by Oxygen
My makes a knocking sound sometimes when turning from extreme left to extreme right...
Not sure about lock-to-lock. I have a bad outer tie rod (right side) and am able to replicate the knocking sound by steering quickly about a 1/4 turn back and forth. It was confirmed by some play in the front wheels when off the ground.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 PM

2000 S430
try another shop for a second opinion. If its the bushings have them show you them while the car is on the lift.

I heard the bushings can go bad and instead of replacing the bushings they just replace the whole arm.

Check ebay Deutsche parts is pretty good
Old 05-07-2009, 03:52 AM

2002 SLR
Originally Posted by shalva

Sincerely,

Shalva
its the struts i know
i have 2 sets here brand new for your car if you want ?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
There shouldnt be any consequences of replacing just one or two struts, the car is designed to automatically adjust ride height on each shock, so dont worry about that. One shock can run $500 from arnotts if you do it yourself, or $1200-$1700 from an indy or from MB really. Each strut should come with a 12 month warranty. Why are you so sure its the shocks?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM

2002 SLR
i had the same problem