Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
The most asinine piece of overengineering

that I've ever seen in my entire life is this:

The bloody maf bracket is almost 100% impossible to put back on the car. Its absolutely mindboggling how absurdly complex this part is.

It serves NO purpose other than to keep the maf from moving around too much.

Hey dickbag engineers at MB...couldn't do it any better than this?

Just spent like 2 hours trying to get this back on, and I still had to modify it.

FUUUUUU
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Seems like a lot of work to clean the MAF sensor. Maybe this is why it is not cleaned and just replaced when it fails.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Good one Oliver.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i would agree with the 'overengineering' if the maf is supposed to be cleaned every 3k miles, or 5k miles or something. it's not designed for regular maintenance, so why should it be easier to clean? otherwise it's like saying your engine is overengineered because you can't wipe off your cylinders with a rag after an oil change.
though the air filters could be easier to replace, i will say that
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Corsa9000
Seems like a lot of work to clean the MAF sensor. Maybe this is why it is not cleaned and just replaced when it fails.
Well cleaning has been proven to prolong them. P.S. You still have to remove this "bracket from hell" when you do a MAF replacement.

Originally Posted by bigben320e
This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Good one Oliver.
Thanks man! I was looking at this thing forever. I was at the MB parts counter, and me and the parts guy were amazed at just how many different latches, snaps, angles, and annoyances this thing has. The way it attaches to the intake is another thing.

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
i would agree with the 'overengineering' if the maf is supposed to be cleaned every 3k miles, or 5k miles or something. it's not designed for regular maintenance, so why should it be easier to clean? otherwise it's like saying your engine is overengineered because you can't wipe off your cylinders with a rag after an oil change.
though the air filters could be easier to replace, i will say that
I agree that its not supposed to be mucked with much. That said, literally its just a brace to keep an 8 oz maf tube from moving around too much.

If I were designer for a day, I would have made the alu tabs on the intake bigger, and put holes in them. Then put holes in the tabs on the bracket.

Put two bolts in the tabs, and you're done.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
great post

Originally Posted by Oliverk
Well cleaning has been proven to prolong them. P.S. You still have to remove this "bracket from hell" when you do a MAF replacement.

Thanks man! I was looking at this thing forever. I was at the MB parts counter, and me and the parts guy were amazed at just how many different latches, snaps, angles, and annoyances this thing has. The way it attaches to the intake is another thing.

I agree that its not supposed to be mucked with much. That said, literally its just a brace to keep an 8 oz maf tube from moving around too much.

If I were designer for a day, I would have made the alu tabs on the intake bigger, and put holes in them. Then put holes in the tabs on the bracket.

great post,if your not a weapons system tech writer you should be one.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
This guy has no clue.

He has successfully cleaned the temperature sensor.
The MAF sensor is in the plastic housing and for a good reason, since the surface would be destroyed if somebody trys to clean it.

Cheers, Frank

Last edited by Frank_S500; 09-19-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Angry

I will need to change my air filters in the morning in the CLS. I noticed a a little rough idle, so I may need to clean my MAF too.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Frank_S500
This guy has no clue.

He has successfully cleaned the temperature sensor.
The MAF sensor is in the plastic housing and for a good reason, since the surface would be destroyed if somebody trys to clean it.

Cheers, Frank
Frank I'm not sure who you're referring to. I didn't take the pictures.

That said, spraying the maf with maf/elec. cleaner can solve a few poor running problems.

The surface of a maf is a hot wire, and it doesn't get destroyed at all.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 AM

That said, spraying the maf with maf/elec. cleaner can solve a few poor running problems.

http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...-MAF-5x100.jpg

This is the temperature sensor.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:42 AM

Hi Olli.

The picture above the spray can, this is the temperature sensor.

Whole unit consists of two parts (seen in the picture before), the temperature sensor, and the hot film air mass sensor (inside!) the plastic housing.

Cheers, Frank

Last edited by Frank_S500; 09-20-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
yeah, the guy took a pic of the wrong wire, but he does recommend that you need to spray both sides, which would get to the hot wire.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM

yeah, the guy took a pic of the wrong wire, but he does recommend that you need to spray both sides, which would get to the hot wire.
That does not make it better.
Any cleaning attempt damages the film. (There is still no wire inside)

Exchange is the only solution.

Cheers, Frank
Old 09-20-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
i thought this thread was going to be about the (alleged) "cup holder" in the W220 front console.

Cup holder? That's no stinkin' cup holder!

it looks like some mechanical engineering student's senior year project to design a pop-up holder for a crumpled tissue, except that a crumpled tissue is too heavy and would fly out when cornering.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos

Cheers, Frank
agree to disagree.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM

2002 S430
Great post, can you explain modification?

Hi, Oliver
Thanks for a really great post!!! I have been searching for days for a detailed description because of this bracket. This gives me 90% confidence that I could now do mine. Can you please elaborate just a little bit on getting the bracket back into the car? What did you modify?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
You know, I'm not sure If I remember what I modified, but I'm pretty sure I shaved down the latch in the center. If you snap a pic of it, I can show you what I did.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet

Cheers, Frank

This joker does not know how the MAF sensor works. He thinks the diode is a temperature sensor. I guess this is where some would interject "LOL". Reading, research, could help, but is likely not an option for him. Ignore his advice. Replacement is the solution only when it fails, or if you are prone to believe the dealership, and choose to foolishly part with your money. The MAF can be cleaned, and cleaning it works.

He thinks, and spews as gospel, that the diode is a "temperature sensor". The diode senses nothing. The diode is a component of the MAF, and it is a heating element. It heats up, and other components of the MAF measure its rate of cooling. This is how it determines the "mass", since hotter air and colder air have a different mass, and cool at different rates. That' is why it's called a "mass air flow" detector. Get it? If the diode, just the diode, gets dirty, then it will heat and cool at a different rate, and produce an inaccurate reading, and your MAF detector will not be working correctly.

Believe him, and unnecessarily shell out a few hundred to the dealer, and learn nothing. Follow the directions in the instructional, and clean your MAF for short money, and LEARN about your car. Simply put, his advice on the MAP is wrong--but, I think most of you already know that.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
You can't clean your MAF... who knew?

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPT8rL0noYg

Bosch MAF proper cleaning
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2Y44Np8VM
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HP3nu6hn8

Anyways, I've cleaned the MAF on every car I've owned (except the BS) and it works. Don't be a dummy - clean your MAF before buying a new one.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 AM

Car
I thought the cupholder was overengineered...
Old 11-28-2010, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pancho
This joker does not know how the MAF sensor works. He thinks the diode is a temperature sensor. I guess this is where some would interject "LOL". Reading, research, could help, but is likely not an option for him. Ignore his advice. Replacement is the solution only when it fails, or if you are prone to believe the dealership, and choose to foolishly part with your money. The MAF can be cleaned, and cleaning it works.

He thinks, and spews as gospel, that the diode is a "temperature sensor". The diode senses nothing. The diode is a component of the MAF, and it is a heating element. It heats up, and other components of the MAF measure its rate of cooling. This is how it determines the "mass", since hotter air and colder air have a different mass, and cool at different rates. That' is why it's called a "mass air flow" detector. Get it? If the diode, just the diode, gets dirty, then it will heat and cool at a different rate, and produce an inaccurate reading, and your MAF detector will not be working correctly.

Believe him, and unnecessarily shell out a few hundred to the dealer, and learn nothing. Follow the directions in the instructional, and clean your MAF for short money, and LEARN about your car. Simply put, his advice on the MAP is wrong--but, I think most of you already know that.
Originally Posted by clkwork
You can't clean your MAF... who knew?

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPT8rL0noYg

Bosch MAF proper cleaning
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2Y44Np8VM
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HP3nu6hn8

Anyways, I've cleaned the MAF on every car I've owned (except the BS) and it works. Don't be a dummy - clean your MAF before buying a new one.
Very good posts...