S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

iPod solutions for the W220: Anyone tried Bluetooth options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
iPod solutions for the W220: Anyone tried Bluetooth options?

So I've got an '04 and looking to try and make the iPod thing clean and easy.

I tried those radio transmitter things (got to try the easiest ones first!) but it was utterly useless so put it on the back burner for a while.

My wife has a VW Golf (completely different I'll admit) and we found a Blitzfire system where it went into the back of the stereo in place of the CDC and it works rather nicely, the cable sneaks up under a piece of trim. Charges the iPod and the sound quality is excellent. Was hoping I might be able to get a similar deal for the W220, albeit something that doesn't take the CDC out of use.

My W220 has the OEM MB Bluetooth system fitted in it (in place of the Motorola V60) and I wondered whether anyone has used a BT system to avoid messing about with cables and audio places. They look reasonably priced but am thinking about the mechanics of it.

Any help would be great!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Well the GW500 for MOST works really well. CHeck post from Skylaw as he has the system in his car.

I've had a lot of success just using the DVD drive to make 4gb of mp3's so I just never ordered the GW unit.

As far as the bluetooth, I've been pretty happy with mine, I have th same as yours and it has work with every phone I've tried to pair it with so far. Are you having problems with yours?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Sorry should have worded it better....The phone works fine but I was thinking of using the Bluetooth capability for something like this:
http://www.google.com/products?q=ipo...N&hl=en&tab=wf
Or am I completely off base?

If it does work I assume the sound quality would be a lot better than the radio transmitter things....

Might have to do some reading up on the GW500 unit. Looks nice and clean. 400 Euros isn't bad either...and then install...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Oh I see what you were getting at. Unfortunately there is no support for bluetooth audio via comand it only used for the phone interface.

BTW Skylaw posted a great install giude for the GW unit. I think I saved it as a pdf somewhere if you can;t find the original. You should PM him I'm sure he still has it. The install was pretty simple but there was some work around you had to do with the SAT or Phone module if I remember correctly but it's just the MOST connection so it's still a pretty easy install.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
A2DP (basically, a Bluetooth standard supporting high fidelity stereo over Bluetooth) is not supported by the V60 puck or the "Puck with Tail" as i understand it. The GW 500 would be the best way for you, since you already have functioning Bluetooth for your phone.

The Gateway 500 post is at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...mentation.html and the menu operation and more hints getting up & running are at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2471051. Because MBWorld limits the amount of time available for editing, and because the original posts were "evolutionary" (posted as we learned more about the system) you may find the thread at http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.p...073#post189073 a little easier to follow. It was edited after the problems encountered had been solved, and it is less chopped up.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-18-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Thanks for the information guys

I think the Dension system is the way to go and at $400 or so for the unit a good deal for what it does. I'll take a look at Skylaw's install guide but frankly I'm utterly useless when it comes to this kind of stuff so will probably recruit my father-in-law or shock horror, a car audio place, to do it.