Are you suppose to hear turbos on s600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600
Are you suppose to hear turbos on s600?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forums and I have a couple of questions. I just got 2003 S600 (I think it's all stock) and was very surprised by the lack of power this car has. I was on the highway and the car acted as if it had regular 6 cylinder engine in it. Are you suppose to hear those twin turbos? Even when I floored the gas pedal, it was very slow to get to 80 mi/hr. I also have the Check Engine light on, is it possible that when that light is on, the car kicks in some sort of safety feature that prevents car from getting full power? It's just hard to believe that almost 500 hp car is so slow. I just sold 2006 s4 (V8 340HP) and it was lightning fast. Heck, my wife's Lexus IS 250 is much quicker I will be taking it to the dealer to check that light out in the next few days but I thought I post it here too to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you very much for any ideas.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
yes, you are in limp mode.

but no, you will not hear the turbos.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
That doesn't sound good, you can definitely hear the turbos, especially when you come off the gas and they wind down.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by dvi469
Hi All,
I'm new to the forums and I have a couple of questions. I just got 2003 S600 (I think it's all stock) and was very surprised by the lack of power this car has. I was on the highway and the car acted as if it had regular 6 cylinder engine in it. Are you suppose to hear those twin turbos? Even when I floored the gas pedal, it was very slow to get to 80 mi/hr. I also have the Check Engine light on, is it possible that when that light is on, the car kicks in some sort of safety feature that prevents car from getting full power? It's just hard to believe that almost 500 hp car is so slow. I just sold 2006 s4 (V8 340HP) and it was lightning fast. Heck, my wife's Lexus IS 250 is much quicker I will be taking it to the dealer to check that light out in the next few days but I thought I post it here too to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you very much for any ideas.

why are you flooring it to 80mph with the check engine light on? That may not be a very good idea.

I hope you are prepared to open your wallet
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM

2003 S600
I just took it for a spin... So, when I put the pedal to the floor it starts pretty quick and quickly shifts into the 2nd gear. If I keep the pedal to the floor, the RPM goes all the way to the red line before shifting into the 3rd. Now, if I don't keep the pedal to the floor, it shifts through all 5 gears just fine but is very slow to gain speed.
I also stopped by the autoparts store and they scanned for codes and got these 2: P0305 and P0300
I got the car yesterday from non MB dealship with as-is warranty. I can go back to them but I doubt they can do anything about it (of course I can return the car, but from reading the forums, it doesn't look like a serious problem, maybe just some bad sensors) - I would just hate to get away from the deal - carfax records for this car look just fine.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
I got the car yesterday from non MB dealship with as-is warranty. I can go back to them but I doubt they can do anything about it (of course I can return the car, but from reading the forums, it doesn't look like a serious problem, maybe just some bad sensors) - I would just hate to get away from the deal - carfax records for this car look just fine.
For the love of Christ if you can return it then do so right away, do not pass go and do not collect $200.

The costs to repairs these V12s are not for the faint hearted and rule number one...A cheap Mercedes is most expensive car you'll ever own.

Don't be fooled into thinking that because you're buying it cheap that you're getting a good deal. These things can be expensive to deal with as it is without buying one with problems!

Also, what kind of a dealer sells a car with a Check Engine light on?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

S600
I dont hear my turbos and we have the same car and mine is very fast really to damn fast.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
it could indeed be something simple, like a bad sensor or defective accelerator pedal. But if you have the option of just returning the car, DO IT.

Maybe they will offer to fix the problem and discount the price if you bring it back.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
I just took it for a spin... So, when I put the pedal to the floor it starts pretty quick and quickly shifts into the 2nd gear. If I keep the pedal to the floor, the RPM goes all the way to the red line before shifting into the 3rd. Now, if I don't keep the pedal to the floor, it shifts through all 5 gears just fine but is very slow to gain speed.
I also stopped by the autoparts store and they scanned for codes and got these 2: P0305 and P0300
Clearly you have no idea what you are getting in to. For instance, just because "carfax records for this car look just fine" does not mean the car is not a major lemon.

Like others have said, undo the deal and return the car if you can. Stick to Honda and Toyota until you have a better understanding of just how expensive it can be to repair a V-12 biturbo Mercedes.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
P305 and P300 are codes for misfire on cylinder #5 and random misfires. If the car was in limp mode, then it's most likely the Voltage... crap, I don't remember what it's called, even though I was looking at it last night on epc.net... (The big square box between your air boxes, the one with an electrical connector coming out of it) is likely bad. If it's got a black plastic top, then it's the old version, the new version has a metal top.

Expect to pay a pretty penny for it. Call your dealer and ask them what the box is Retailing for.

Of course, it may be something as simple as spark plugs. If it's spark plugs, then you're looking at about $15 per spark plug (NGK IFR's) at NAPA and you'll need 24 of them. If you have the dealer do them, you'll shell out a good 6-800 dollars. And if you do them and are not careful, plan for another ~1,200 dollars for a new coil, depending on which coil you screw up when you pull it off, if you're not careful.

Get some sort of work history on the car. The V12's are relatively expensive to maintain (as it's been said in this thread before).
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever there's gas in...
Return the car before you learn your lesson the hard way! There are other inexpensive S600tt's out there just be patient!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
pics of the car first, then we will all determine wether to return or keep the S600...lol
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM

s 55 amg
i dont know much about the biturbos but i dont think your supposed to hear the turbos i think you mite have some sort of boost leak