S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

video cd's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
video cd's

can we watch video cds on our non dvd nav units?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
Originally Posted by windsor acr
can we watch video cds on our non dvd nav units?
I never realized videos could be on CD format?

Are you talking pre-2004 nav units? If you're talking watching a DVD movie, I think only the DVD-based units from Europe can do that.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM

s600
yes on a 2003 unit

I was thinking of burning CD with video on it and just wanted to know the file format to use
Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
Are you in Europe or N.A.? Your profile doesn't say.

Like I said, if you're in USA, you can't watch any video file format. Even to get cd's to play I have to burn them with the right program etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM

s600
north america, so i guess no video for me...

thanks for your help
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 PM

2005 S500 4 Matic
Hey folks. I have an S500 4matic 2005. I've owned her a little over a year. The stereo unit says I have DVD but when I put one in, I can only hear it, can't see it. This is with the car in park. Anyone know what's up with it? Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
(SIGH). Yes, Frank - this has been written up often. A quick trip through your COMAND manual will yield conflicting results that will confuse you. Despite the instructions for DVD video from pages 65-69, it is page 70 that finally provides the actual situation for U.S. specification COMANDS: "In order to avoid driver distraction, the video function is disabled and no images will be shown on the COMAND screen."

Only the Euro spec COMANDs will display video (and then they must be tricked to display it while the car is moving). U.S. units must have equipment added to display video; I'll let you search for the many writeups already here regarding that issue.

All you can play on a U.S. spec unit is the audio track of a DVD (but the sound quality is superb from music DVDs), or else DVDs recorded with mp3 audio tracks (I have my entire 30 GB iTunes library reduced to mp3 and recorded on 2 DVDs - but since I installed a Dension Gateway 500 iPod interface, I just use my iPod, with music imported in high quality formats).

If you don't have a COMAND manual, there is one at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 AM

2005 S500 4 Matic
Thanks Sky appreciate the direction. I may check out the system you have as a matter of convenience and upgrade to the oem system. I don't have Bluetooth or DVD capability. If I can add these, keep my satellite radio and nav, I'll have everything I'm looking for.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frank,

Adding the OE MHI phone system to your car can be expensive; it will integrate well, but it costs. It's a very long writeup, but see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html and look especially at permalinks 1 and 5. You may find Keith Valentine, mentioned in the first post, a good source of parts.

With the OE MHI setup, you can use the Dension Gateway 500 for iPod connectivity. That is my setup - OE MHI and the Gateway 500; I am very happy with it. See http://www.mbca.org/forum/how-integr...se-mb-ipod-kit for the most recently-edited installation writeup; it's also at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ml#post2376586. One advantage of the Gateway 500 is that you can keep your CD changer functionality.

Dension offers the BTA 1500 Bluetooth add-on for the Gateway 500; adding it, together with the Gateway 500 would be far less cost than adding OE phone equipment and the GW 500, but in order to use the BTA 1500 you must be monitoring the GW 500. That can be a real pain.

Two companies, mObridge and CarTronics, offer combination units for iPod and Bluetooth integration. You may find these offer the best and least expensive solutions to add both iPod connectivity and Bluetooth capability simultaneously. They will integrate better than the BTA 1500 does with your system, but unfortunately you also give up your CD changer. A source of this equipment is forum contributor and sponsor InCarTronics (CarTronics).

You can also see that I don't think highly of Dension's installation instructions for the Gateway 500 - but once it's in, it's great. The competing units offer much better installation guides on video.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM

2005 S500 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Frank,

Adding the OE MHI phone system to your car can be expensive; it will integrate well, but it costs. It's a very long writeup, but see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html and look especially at permalinks 1 and 5. You may find Keith Valentine, mentioned in the first post, a good source of parts.

With the OE MHI setup, you can use the Dension Gateway 500 for iPod connectivity. That is my setup - OE MHI and the Gateway 500; I am very happy with it. See http://www.mbca.org/forum/how-integr...se-mb-ipod-kit for the most recently-edited installation writeup; it's also at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ml#post2376586. One advantage of the Gateway 500 is that you can keep your CD changer functionality.

Dension offers the BTA 1500 Bluetooth add-on for the Gateway 500; adding it, together with the Gateway 500 would be far less than adding OE phone equipment and the GW 500, but in order to use the BTA 1500 you must be monitoring the GW 500. That can be a real pain.

Two companies, mObridge and CarTronics, offer combination units for iPod and Bluetooth integration. You may find these offer the best and least expensive solutions to add both iPod connectivity and Bluetooth capability simultaneously. They will integrate better than the BTA 1500 does with your system, but unfortunately you also give up your CD changer. A source of this equipment is forum contributor InCarTronics.

You can also see that I don't think highly of Dension's installation instructions for the Gateway 500 - but once it's in, it's great. The competing units offer much better installation guides on video.
Thanks Sky, let me ask your opinion on a new conslidated plug in system, aftermarket. One that handles all this right out of the box. pro - con?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My personal preference is to keep things OE as much as possible - but again, it's a preference. There have been lots of happy campers who have installed double DIN nav/video systems. However, that usually also involves replacing everything on the fiber optic ring (all audio components - CDC, amp, satellite radio, etc) as well as phone (of course, you already don't have one). You may be less than thrilled with your Bose speakers if you change out the amp and COMAND unit; the amp contains the active equalization curves that Bose set up for audio quality in the type of car in which it was installed, and you lose that. Plus, Bose uses 2-Ohm speakers, where the industry generally uses 4-Ohm. That can place constraints on your choice of amps. A full replacement can be expensive - and you can spend a LOT on speakers, amps, audio processors, and the like. While you might get a Kenwood, a Pioneer, or an Alpine head unit that has all the features "right out of the box" it is the additional changes you'll need to make in audio that will cost. Plus, you'll have to shop carefully if you want to retain steering wheel button control of the audio systems.

As an aside, there are now audio interfaces that will allow you to keep a COMAND unit, but replace the Bose amp (see, e.g., http://www.mbca.org/forum/it-possibl...ptic-systems-0). However, you may still need a very high quality audio processor to restore the optimized active equalization you lose by removing the Bose amp. However, I'm going to leave further discussion to audio professionals who know far more than I do about such changes.

What you will get by replacing COMAND with a drop-in unit is a much better, more updated nav system (I love the Kenwood Excelon series, which uses Garmin's operating system and displays for maps; they're great), MUCH better "yellow pages" (Points of Interest in the MB system), often better compatibility with newer Bluetooth phones, and DVD video display (I question the sanity of drivers watching DVD video while operating a car, but sometimes it pleases a front seat passenger and can make installation of rear seat displays easier).

But as I said, there are happy campers out there who have done it. There are several good contributors who have repeatedly posted advice on such systems - JBondox is one, and you can tell from responses to his posts others who know what they're talking about - and those who don't. Use the advance search feature to look at his posts on audio.

One thing you'll need to do is deal ONLY with high-end car audio shops having Mercedes experience. It's not a teeny bopper audio project.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-26-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added a bit fuller explanation of some items
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Good answer Skylaw!! Although we carry "drop-in" replacements for the factory system, I personally discourage clients from using them if they already have the factory COMAND. If they have a lower end Audio20/50 it makes more sense, but when you have the COMAND already, just add the features you want - most clients tend to be happier that way.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM

2005 S500 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Good answer Skylaw!! Although we carry "drop-in" replacements for the factory system, I personally discourage clients from using them if they already have the factory COMAND. If they have a lower end Audio20/50 it makes more sense, but when you have the COMAND already, just add the features you want - most clients tend to be happier that way.
Guys, this is why this forum is top notch. The most complete honest answer you can get. And sky, thank you for doing all the research , confirming it and sharing it. I have my answer
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM

S430
Im selling my euro command for W220(yes you can watch DVD in motion).
if anyone interested in PM me