S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003S600 and 2002c320s
Howard, good luck with your new S. I just came upon this forum and I wish I had seen it earlier before you purchased your car. I have had my S600 for just over four years and it has just over 60k Km. So far I have replaced Abc pump, ABC valve body, ECU, ignition coils, both front struts, ABC line, left front headlight, transmission mounts, engine mounts and other normal maintenance and wear items(tires, brakes, etc). I am almost afraid to add up all the bills but it probably averages out to $5,000 per year. I noticed most of the advice was that it was going to be expensive to maintain but nobody put a dollar amount to it so I thought this might help. To me, the pleasure of driving the car makes it worthwhile and I hope it does for you, too.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Post Update: S600 came home today.

Hi all,

As planed we went to pickup the car today.

Snow gave us little trouble as highway 402 was closed. We took a city road then drove on highway 401 but five plows blocked the way. We followed the plows at 40km/h speed.
We have to travel 200km to pickup the car and need to go back before 5:30 pm to pickup my little daughter from day care.

Although we are late the delivery process is smooth without any surprise.
But since we are late we didn't go to MB bodyshop to have the rust checked. Maybe next Friday.
Good enough, on the way back we picked up another set of AMG wheels for winter tires.

Double checked the tire pressure and we headed home. I drove the S600 and my wife drove the Volvo.
S600 runs flawlessly. Not that quiet as I imagined though. I guess the Bridgestone is not as good as Michelin.
I always prefer Michelin. On my Volvo I have Primacy MXV4 for summer and X-Ice for winter. For S600 I'm going to mount Pilot Alpin for the winter. Then buy Super Sport in spring.

Road condition is much better in the afternoon and we arrived day care on time.
Everything went smoothly. Kids played around the Benz. My elder daughter seems enjoy the back seat very much, the mirror and the reading light which are only available in front seat before.

One thing shows a big difference between S600 and XC70. I used to drive my XC70 everywhere in all different weather, as a all wheel drive I always have confident handling wintery road. But as a rear wheel drive, S600 need more of my attention to avoid skidding. I almost stuck in a parking lot where has too much snow. But I think after putting on snow tires this will be improved.

So I think we got a perfect combination: Drive XC70 when there is rain or snow and XC70 is also good when we need buy over sized stuff as it's a wagon. Other time we could enjoy S600's luxury, .

By the way, as Broce reminded I'm going to replace the Transmission Electric Plug which has little bit leaking now. Electric Plug and 1 liter of Transmission fluid on the floor. Will do it this weekend.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by RedC320S
Howard, good luck with your new S. I just came upon this forum and I wish I had seen it earlier before you purchased your car.
To me, the pleasure of driving the car makes it worthwhile and I hope it does for you, too.
Thanks RedC320S for sharing your experience. Your repair list is indeed long and heavy.

Hope I can always catch those issues when they were not growing bigger or getting too costly.

A mechanic told me that there is a life cycle for cars. When they are new they can last 100kkm with little issues. But if you want to keep the runing you need spend a lot to push them over 100kkm. Then you will again have period of trouble free. When you approching 200kkm big bill is coming to make them pass this mark too, on and on.

Indeed, for S600 TTV12, ignition & ABC suspension are two area sucking money. Here is what I think to avoid spend too much on there areas:
- Check ignition coil areas regularly to avoid any engine oil damange;
- Change spark plugs every 60k miles;
- Watch out for oil leaking for any ABC suspension parts;
- Replace suspension oil & filter regularly;
- In addition Transmission and Differential oil also good to be replace regularly;

I believe preventative maintenance can reduce big issue hence lower long term cost.

Thanks.

Howard

Last edited by haoz129; 01-14-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
...been following this post since its inception. Congrats, you seem to know what to do to keep her strong and provide you with blissful service.

Down in FL there are a few in the high teens, and an S55 for 14K...

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2791819307.html

I wonder what surprises this^^ example has in store.

Haoz, please upload a pluthera of pics, especially interior shots of the rear doors, wood trimmings, alcantara... Photobucket them then post here.

I haven't had the pleasure to sit in an 03+ 600, is it a whole lot better than an S430 in terms of interior plastics?

Last edited by VMAX7; 01-14-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Congrats!! I too noticed the road noise when I first bought my car, and I actually had Michelin Primicays.. the ones you have. I have Hankook now and they are a much smoother and quieter tire.. I could actually feel the smoothness difference, it was strange! Very quiet too.. I think if you take care of your car and don't beat it senseless it will be alot easier to maintain.. I've seen cars fall apart and the same car just a different one last forever.. a friend of mine has one that is 11 years old and has had hardly anything done to it besides routine.. that actually scares me, but it happens..
Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 AM

2003S600 and 2002c320s
Howard, the repairs on my car are all common issues (maybe with the exception of the headlight) with these cars. Keep it long enough and you will see. For example, to replace the engine mounts, it takes 20 hours of labour to replace $400 worth of parts.....the engine had to be lifted out to get at them!! One thing you will find is that the car is so quiet and vibration free that you will immediately notice the slightest thing wrong with it. And yes, my car has received as much "preventive maintenance" as practical. Things happen....I had a flat tire that cost me $1000... Had to replace both rear tires, Michelin PS2s 275 x40 because the puncture was on the corner of he bead and both tires were about half worn. The difference in diameters between new and worn would have stressed the differential. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Vmaxx
I haven't had the pleasure to sit in an 03+ 600, is it a whole lot better than an S430 in terms of interior plastics?
there ARE NO INTERIOR plastics in a 600. every surface including the dash and all door panels are completely leather wrapped!!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by tusabes
there ARE NO INTERIOR plastics in a 600. every surface including the dash and all door panels are completely leather wrapped!!
well, the vents for the hvac, the door window surrounds, the cups behind the door handles and other little things are plastic, but for the most part this is true.

Even the rear package tray and cups for the rear headrest are stitched leather.

Love it in my car and wouldn't buy another without it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 AM

opposite-lock...
I'll 2nd Keith 8-)... tho again - w/ such a small selection set up thar, you got a decent discount and went into it very informed / prepared.

***CONGRATS HOWARD***

man, that must feel GOOD

Damn, I cannot fathom going to p/u a 'new' car (and RWD @ that!) in a snowstorm... schnikies. You musta been holepuckered the entire way home - white knuckles, at least.

Great choice in snows, and agreed about Pilot's being the cat's @$$ in tires. They're pricey, and muuuuuuuch pricer than I'd normally consider splurging for on rubber that I'm destined to destroy in short-order - but - in this application I feel running anything 'less' isn't worth of the car's stature... and... they DO wear much more iron-like than other makes.

and Super Sports are simply ****!

Wonder how many of us are dumb enough to run these in snow (moi!)??? Think I'll start a thread.

Anywho, clear the codes and report back what re-emerges and we'll go from there.

Rust - remember my earlier suggestion... if you know the shop who did the shoddy repair... hold them accountable. At the least, ask them to work with you on it - split it or something. That's unacceptable, and they should be disgraced honestly.

Also agreed - PICS STAT!!!... or vote to BAN 8-)! Tho I'm not one to talk, I've yet to shoot anything good of mine - SOON! Stoopid seller-pic in sig still 8-/ been too farkin busy w/ holidaze 'n bdaze - last one is TODAY... phew. Mebbe pics tomorrow, dunno tho low of 9*F tonight, yargh.

Again, congrats - great to have you amongst us.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by Oliverk
well, the vents for the hvac, the door window surrounds, the cups behind the door handles and other little things are plastic, but for the most part this is true.

Even the rear package tray and cups for the rear headrest are stitched leather.

Love it in my car and wouldn't buy another without it.

If 'those' areas were leather they'd not last long against fingernails

I chuckled audibly when noting not only are the visor mirror 'doors' alcantara... they're also alcantara on the INSIDE when you flip them open - hilarity.

Even the light switch and power seat surrounds - leather

It provides such an overall sumptuous feeling of exoticism and awesomeness being ensconsed in such - heck even the seat belt latch 'booties' are stitched leather.

I also dig the deviated color for the alcantara B pillars - the black is a nice touch. Alcantara healiners... has me frequently pondering wayz to suspend mesself nekkid from them - but - that'd just be weird. Or would it?

Nutty stuff, love it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vmaxx
...been following this post since its inception. Congrats, you seem to know what to do to keep her strong and provide you with blissful service.
, Thanks Vmaxx for following the thread.

S55 would be a nice choice too, which I serious considered. And as Grane mentioned v8 (M113 & M113K) got much better score reliability wise. Ignition is the weak part of the V12, but I believe they are both respectable for their engine block and structure.

Enjoy to see all choices you guys have, but I don't have that lucky living on the other side of the boader, talking about buying cars.

As requested, some quick pictures attached.
1st picture is with my Volvo XC70 beside. You can see XC70 is higher and better for offroad.
And my daughter like the mirrors for rear seat very much.

Enjoy your weekend.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2031.jpg   My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2032.jpg   My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2033.jpg   My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2034.jpg   My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2035.jpg  

My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-img_2036.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM

As Vmaxx requested for rear door trim, here is one more pic.

Have to feed the kids, will report more details later.

Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
The car looks marevelous, I hope everything works out.

On a side note, Bruce from Beck is selling his:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...rabus-car.html
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
CONGRATS HOWARD!!!

ive been following this thread for a while now, welcome to the family!!

thanks for sharing the pictures, i too love the satisfaction of my wifey and son sit comfortably and relaxed.. even better in a S600!!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Looks like either the radio or ash tray has been changed.. they don't match.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Car looks outstanding! Thanks for the clarity. Now I can send my brother the link and shut him up regarding "cheap" materials in a 600...

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
As long as the radio and A/C works, forget the ashtray. I'm sure it's been changed, the car is almost 10 years old.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Car
That is a beautiful car must be intoxicating
Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Congrats!! I too noticed the road noise when I first bought my car, and I actually had Michelin Primicays.. the ones you have. I have Hankook now and they are a much smoother and quieter tire.. I could actually feel the smoothness difference, it was strange! Very quiet too.. I think if you take care of your car and don't beat it senseless it will be alot easier to maintain.. I've seen cars fall apart and the same car just a different one last forever.. a friend of mine has one that is 11 years old and has had hardly anything done to it besides routine.. that actually scares me, but it happens..
Got you, Cmpcpro.

Yes, like the old saying told: if you take care of the car, it will takes care of you.
Actually we treat the cars as family member, they will never get neglect.

I didn't realize the color difference, , what sharp eyes you have, thanks for bringing this up. There is a stored code about Ash Tray and I think you called it right on.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by RedC320S
Howard, the repairs on my car are all common issues......
Got you, RedC320S.

Yes, those things happen. Parts need to be replaced, not whether or not, but when. Especitially anything like you mentioned.

I do always worry about tires. They are working in the most tough situation which is not predictable. They have to be changed in pair to protect differential and keep the car stable.
For me I have All Wheel Drive, some tire shop even recommend changing 4 tires if one is broken, . But base on my understanding, for Volvo AWD, just change a pair and put new pair in the front axle according to Volvo AWD characteristic.
Old saying suggest new pair on rear axle though.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
I'll 2nd Keith 8-)... tho again - w/ such a small selection set up thar, you got a decent discount and went into it very informed / prepared.

***CONGRATS HOWARD***

man, that must feel GOOD
Again, congrats - great to have you amongst us.
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
If 'those' areas were leather they'd not last long against fingernails
Nutty stuff, love it.
Thanks, man.

I do feel GOOD but still with cautious.

My daughter wanted to try the 'new' car so I drove her to piano lesson on Friday. I really didn't think there will be that much difference between AWD & RWD. I used to pull my XC70 out and head into snowstorm no matter how heavy it is.
One more lesson learned.

Actually I try not to drive it until I get under the car and have everything inspected by myself.

I always try to buy Michelin and hesitate to save money on tires. As mentioned tires are working in tough condition and they are so important. No matter how good engine or brake you have they all need tires to take effect.

Yes, I'll take it back to the shop who did the repair.

If the weather get better I'll bring my Nikon and shoot more pictures.

Agree with you, in and out, S600 is really, superb. Like the dealer said at last before we drove away: You bought a phenomenon car.

It's my pleasure to stay with all of you guys in this great forum.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
The car looks marevelous, I hope everything works out.

On a side note, Bruce from Beck is selling his:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...rabus-car.html
Thanks, Das Geld.

Bruce's Brabus is a awesome S600. Really a great deal I believe.
Again, sigh, not practical for me to buy cars from States.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by classyS
CONGRATS HOWARD!!!

ive been following this thread for a while now, welcome to the family!!

thanks for sharing the pictures, i too love the satisfaction of my wifey and son sit comfortably and relaxed.. even better in a S600!!
Thanks, ClassyS.

Hope you get a S600 in the near future, what ever a 2003-2006 or 2007 after.

Yes, wife and son, that's why you bought good car for.
I always thank to my car when they bring my wife and kids from bad weather or long trips. Solid car make me feel no worry after wife drive away.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarboyS
That is a beautiful car must be intoxicating
Thanks, CarboyS.

Yes, love it and even smile to myself when thinking about it, .
How can I describe it: Little boy's dream come true.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 PM

And now you can hook your ipod up to your Aux port in the glove box! Your's is the only year W220 to have it! Not to mention you could bluetooth that car for a few hundred bucks..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 AM

2003S600 and 2002c320s
Howard, if you are driving in snow/ice/cold please, please get a set of winter tires. All seasons are just no good in the cold. I am in Vancouver and use Michelin Pilot Alpins for the winter. They provide a lot more grip, especially for our high torque cars and they are a quiet running tire. Our cars are decent in the snow if they are properly equipped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.