S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Mirror shakes at high bass tunes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Carrera 2008
Mirror shakes at high bass tunes

I have set the audio settings to the pre-set program of "POP" in the command system.

I have noted that at high bass notes the LHS door mirror shakes. Is MB cutting costs everywhere.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:35 AM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
Actually, that is a good thing. I have been into car audio for over 15 years, and the fact that the mirror "shakes" is due to the depth of the bass tones. MB has a damn good subwoofer that comes standard.

I have added subs to all my cars, and if the mirrors DON'T shake, then I add more power.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:54 PM

Porsche Carrera 2008
Originally posted by Taurian

I have added subs to all my cars, and if the mirrors DON'T shake, then I add more power.
LOL

If I wanna shake it up I take my old land crusier for a ride. For me MB is solid engineering and a sahaky mirror is out of equation. Others of course may like it differently.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Depend on who's saying it. Some said MB is cutting corners here and there to save money. But I don't think anything should shake when the road surface is smooth.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:59 PM

The way that the MB sound system is put together, the accoustics enable the music surrounds the whole cabin, creating an environment where no matter where you sit, or how your head is turned, the music sounds the same. With these kinds of accoustics at high volume, something is bound to rattle.

But I think you should look at how loud you are playing your music. Keep in mind that the sound waves travel throughout the whole car sending vibrations throughout the metal. It's only natural for mirrors to do what you are complaining about. If this annoys so much then either adjust your bass settings and/or turn your music down.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
In that case, you must be listening to your music VERY loud. I am not here to tell people what to do. I just don't want anyone to hurt their inner ears. Long time in loud music would cause some damge to your ears. Say it's loud enough to shake the outside mirror. That never happened in my coupe, even when Pink Flyod was playing at their best.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:40 PM

MB G500
My mirrors shake when I play music with a lot of bass; however, the music has to be playing really loud. My G500 is pretty solid, so I am guessing this isn't due to cutting costs, just an effect of a good sub...
Old 06-24-2003, 10:50 AM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
No brainer

The speakers in the doors are about 15 inches from the mirror. Unless the car doors have dynomat or some other sound dampening material used in show cars or recording studios, bass is going to travel! Ever hear a car next to you...thumping away????

It has ZERO to do with manufacturing. The doors are so solid on the S Class.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:47 PM

This guy has done nothing but complain ever since he bought the car. IMO, the things that he complains about are so trivial.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
i actually noticed this today when driving my dads S. I listen to a wide range of music- from brian mcknight to midtown and all american rejects to lil jon and the eastsideboys. Lil jon songs shake the mirrors a lot. Brian Mcknight songs sound soo good in the car- its like the system was made for rnb songs- nice bass and nice highs.

Anyone know the specs on the bose system?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by ajayz
Probably agianst the reccomendation of others but IMO not high enough. If our Lexus which is around 9 years old has tigher and deeper bass response AND sharper highs, I would expect something a tab bit better in a newer car which also costs more!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Lexus has Mark Levinson systems and there's no way in hell that Bose can even match the sound quality. The best I've heard for flat response is BMW's Harman Kardon Logic 7 system. I believe the new E-Class has it, too, and the S-Class really should as well.

As good as some stock systems are, they're really no match for aftermarket setups. I have an Eclipse setup in my Passat and it's much more detailed than any high-end stock cars I've heard. I'd have to hear the new Audi A8 though as I heard that its Bose system improved. Still though, Bose is quite mediocre. I read this quote on an Audi forum "No highs, no lows, it's Bose." Hehe...those Audi folks are quite correct.

Porsche Carrera 2008
Originally posted by internet_mafia
This guy has done nothing but complain ever since he bought the car. IMO, the things that he complains about are so trivial.
I was simply sharing my experience with the board. Sad to see you found them trivial.

In any casez thanks to all for there f/b.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:19 AM

Porsche Carrera 2008
i actually noticed this today when driving my dads S. I listen to a wide range of music- from brian mcknight to midtown and all american rejects to lil jon and the eastsideboys. Lil jon songs shake the mirrors a lot. Brian Mcknight songs sound soo good in the car- its like the system was made for rnb songs- nice bass and nice highs.

I know Bose systems from Home theater point of view. They normally dont share the speaker specs, particularly the frequency respone curves with the end buyer.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by mercsd
I know Bose systems from Home theater point of view. They normally dont share the speaker specs, particularly the frequency respone curves with the end buyer.

hmm, I wonder why- do they have something to hide?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:24 PM

Mercedes S430 '00
According to most of my audiophile friends, the mantra "Bose Blows" is the standard. As far as home theater goes, there are much better speakers for the price you pay for Bose.

Search on any audiophile forum, the results are the same. Bose spends a lot of money on marketing their "superior" speakers to uninformed consumers.

The same goes for the speakers in our cars. Keep in mind, even Bose stock is better than the crap MB could have given us so I'm not complaining. But, compared to the other aftermarket car audio products out there, Bose doesn't stand a chance. That's why they focused all their energy in selling their speakers and processors direct to car manufacturers. It's a two pronged marketing strategy. They talk up their home theater products to the point of mythical strengths, then use their ignorant consumer base as a basis to sell OEM to Acura, MB, etc...

Ok, I'll step off my anti-Bose soapbox now.

In answer to your original question, have the dealer look at the retaining bolts that hold the mirror to the actuator. If its loose, you may get more vibrations than "normal." If everything is tightened, then maybe you have to turn down the music or the bass. There's only so much a car can take. In addition, as much as MB touts their quality control, some cars are just not built as tightly as others. You may have been one of the 1 in 3,000+ cars built that's not quite as tight as all the others...LOL.

Good Luck.

Dizzy
Old 06-27-2003, 08:11 PM

Porsche Carrera 2008
hmm, I wonder why- do they have something to hide?
Well, u can see their excuses on the following link:

http://www.bose.com/products/auto/faq.html

They claim that new parameters in sound technology has been developed which is beyond us mere mortals.

Last edited by mercsd; 06-27-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by mercsd
Well, u can see their excuses on the following link:

http://www.bose.com/products/auto/faq.html

They claim that new parameters in sound technology has been developed which is beyond us mere mortals.

The best tests of a Bose system’s sound quality aren’t a list of specifications, but your ears.

Well I guess to most here, they've failed that test also.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Lexus has Mark Levinson systems and there's no way in hell that Bose can even match the sound quality.
Nakamichi here Old body LS :p Oh how i feel awkward saying that.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by vraa
Nakamichi here Old body LS :p Oh how i feel awkward saying that.
Hey, Nakamichi is excellent, too! Their aftermarket head units are extremely clean though they look a bit outdated. Still though, beats the hell out of Bose.

Last edited by Karma; 06-28-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by Karma
Hey, Nakamichi is excellent, too! Their aftermarket head units are extremely clean though they look a bit outdated. Still though, beats the hell out of Bose.

Outdated or not, I'm afraid that after i get the car and something goes wrong I won't find parts to replace it. No matter, i'll manage it out.

And for the Bose, don't they pride themselves on name and such yet they have almost no certification from anyone?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mark Levinson (Madrigal) option is basically $1250, though on the LS430 it is typically coupled with other items in a package.

That excuse page on the Bose site is pathetic! I would be ashamed if I was Amar Bose. But then, he sued Consumer Reports after they gave his 901 speakers a good review but also said the instruments "tended to wander about the room." (No, this is not a joke -- the review was good!). Although the case was eventually tossed out, Bose kept it alive for 16 years with all the appeals, etc. Imagine what 16 years of litigation cost Consumer Reports in lawyers' fees.