S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Mid-life crisis hits critical mass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup. I tell certain people that come to me "It's $5K, but if it was $10K you should buy it anyway...you CAN NOT LOSE."

There aren't a lot of cars like that, but I see hundreds and hundreds of claims on thousands of cars I've written plans for, so I know which ones are virtual locks.

And even if you buy a plan that does not pay out at 100%, is it a waste of money? Let's see:

Assume the plan is $5K for 4 years. Let's say nothing catastrophic happens in those 4 years, but along the way you file $3.5K in claims for typical MB stuff.

Now your actual cost for the 4 year warranty was $1500. So you've paid less than $400 per year to protect yourself against engine, trans, and other potential horrendously expensive failures.

You've also probably enjoyed the car more, driven it harder, and driven it for more miles knowing you were protected against major problems.

Is that worth it? I think it is, especially on an AMG car where engine failure claims start at $20K and go up from there.

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 04-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by Becks Imports
Yup. I tell certain people that come to me "It's $5K, but if it was $10K you should buy it anyway...you CAN NOT LOSE."

There aren't a lot of cars like that, but I see hundreds and hundreds of claims on thousands of cars I've written plans for, so I know which ones are virtual locks.

And even if you buy a plan that does not pay out at 100%, is it a waste of money? Let's see:

Assume the plan is $5K for 4 years. Let's say nothing catastrophic happens in those 4 years, but along the way you file $3.5K in claims for typical MB stuff.

Now your actual cost for the 4 year warranty was $1500. So you've paid less than $400 per year to protect yourself against engine, trans, and other potential horrendously expensive failures.

You've also probably enjoyed the car more, driven it harder, and driven it for more miles knowing you were protected against major problems.

Is that worth it? I think it is, especially on an AMG car where engine failure claims start at $20K and go up from there.

Bruce
Very well said, as usual.
When Bruce found me my S600, I tolld him I was going to wait on the warranty. He told me there is no way he would give me the car without a warranty.
Thank God I listened to him and purchased it
It was great advice.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
for a s600, s55, cl500 cl55 or cl600 a warranty (that covers ABC) is an absolute necessity.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
Fraser, ownership vs obligated

Originally Posted by Fraser
Pentagon Federal offer 2% APR (!!) on used car loans and if you're not getting 2% on your investments you need a better investment advisor! Heck, that's cheaper than drawing on a lot of HELOCs, after you've taken the tax deduction!

Secured lending rates are so cheap at the moment that I think most people are better off having a car payment than paying cash for something.

I used to be in asset management and routinely saw people with eight figure liquid asset portfolios, many of whom still had mortgages on their properties, and even car loans. If you're earning 6% on your investments (very conservative) and you're paying less than that on your car loan it's costing you money in the long run.
ill match the pay cash method over the "asset managers" this is how you can make 2 points on your money if you finance the purchase any day of the week. i too pay cash for everything now and have never been happier!. in the long run the guy who is constantly trying to make everything in life an investment or write off ends up obligated to maintaine his "payments" and while he is working to reach his goal, life is passing him by. life isnt attaining your goals, it is daily life getting their!. being "old" and wealthy isnt worth it if you arent enjoying every day of life. what is really sad is that most americans cant even relate to that bit of info and feel that you must sacrafice everyday to reach your "financial goals". total BS!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by tusabes
for a s600, s55, cl500 cl55 or cl600 a warranty (that covers ABC) is an absolute necessity.
Hell's Bells! It seems everyone round here says that. And I bought a 2004 S600 TT on 150k with no warranty whatsoever. I've fitted two pressure sensors, two O2 sensors, two tyres, one tranny mount and one coil pack (knowing that one had recently been changed). Am I really staring down some sort of financial abyss?

Nick