S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

help decide on purchasing w220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford pinto
help decide on purchasing w220

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have been slowly reading up on info I need to know. I am currently looking at a local one owner 2006 s500. It is silver with black interior, has amg package and keyless go. It currently has 91k miles. It has clean carfax and owner showed me receipts for maintenance done. My mechanic says that it needs new motor mounts soon and the rear right shock is about to go bad. The car is very clean and the owner is an elderly woman in her 70s lol. We worked out the price to 12.5k. Is it worth it even with the repairs needed? Any other problems I will foresee with 100k up the alley? I also read somewhere about all transmissions go out at around 150k miles? It is kind of hard to believe with my mother's ls430 going on 300k+ miles on original tranny. Any input is greatly appreciated and hope to be part of this great community.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by DUMA
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have been slowly reading up on info I need to know. I am currently looking at a local one owner 2006 s500. It is silver with black interior, has amg package and keyless go. It currently has 91k miles. It has clean carfax and owner showed me receipts for maintenance done. My mechanic says that it needs new motor mounts soon and the rear right shock is about to go bad. The car is very clean and the owner is an elderly woman in her 70s lol. We worked out the price to 12.5k. Is it worth it even with the repairs needed? Any other problems I will foresee with 100k up the alley? I also read somewhere about all transmissions go out at around 150k miles? It is kind of hard to believe with my mother's ls430 going on 300k+ miles on original tranny. Any input is greatly appreciated and hope to be part of this great community.
12.5 doesn't sound that bad too me. The motor mounts shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix. Some on here I'm sure have done it themself and could help there. If one of the shocks is going bad and this is the only problem, then I'd also think that it not a big deal all things considered. One owner is nice with all the receipts. I've never heard bad things about any of the Mercedes transmissions unless they were mistreated. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM

ford pinto
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
12.5 doesn't sound that bad too me. The motor mounts shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix. Some on here I'm sure have done it themself and could help there. If one of the shocks is going bad and this is the only problem, then I'd also think that it not a big deal all things considered. One owner is nice with all the receipts. I've never heard bad things about any of the Mercedes transmissions unless they were mistreated. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. The motormounts should be about 150 and I can do it at home. I saw a post about a diy motormount. The shock I am not sure to go oem or possibly ive seen the brand arnott on this forum. I am a diyer so I will most likely do that myself as well. A few posts down someone said that trannies go out around 150-200k. And I have read other post about their tranny going out at 100k and paying 7k to replace the tranny. That would be more than half of what I paid for the car. It shifts fine and very smooth. If I purchase the car, I plan on changing a lot of maintenance. Plugs, wires, tranny filter, tranny oil, valve cover gasket, fluid flushes, etc. Hopefully I shouldn't have too many problems considering it is the last year the w220 was produced. Still looking for others input.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
$12,500 is a very good price for that car by the sounds of it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM

ford pinto
Originally Posted by Fraser
$12,500 is a very good price for that car by the sounds of it.
Thanks Fraser. Should I be worried about the one air shock and nearing 100k miles?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
if it needs one shock, and the others werent redone, you can expect the other to soon need replacement too. They tend to fail within a few thousand miles of each other.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 AM

ford pinto
Originally Posted by tusabes
if it needs one shock, and the others werent redone, you can expect the other to soon need replacement too. They tend to fail within a few thousand miles of each other.
So basically I will be putting out about $1600 to replace all 4 with arnott remanufactured shocks? I probably wont go with new oem since arnott uses oem with better materials anyway.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM

S500 4 matic
Hey duma i changed my front strut last week and got mine from carid.com great prices atleast $100 cheaper from the arnott site itself. Do not understand how they sell it so cheap but thats not my problem. Click link below and these are the strits for your car. Welcome to forum, and good luck
http://www.carid.com/arnott/item-970869.html
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
fantastic price!

man, grab that car and enjoy!. 100% of what loyal benz owners demand and recieve when they spend in excess of $75,000 for that car will be all yours for $12,500?. the only thing missing will be a little "new car smell" which ozium claims to have perfected. your next post should be a bought it and lovin it post!