S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S600 F1 Exhaust - Making it Happen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 S600 Lorinser Body Kit & W215 Front-End Conversion
Originally Posted by wallyp
Does the S600 not have the shiftable transmission like the S430 and S500?
Yes it does.

I've said it before that the engine has peak high pitched sound when it's between 2.5-3K RPM. Redlining it changes the sound and doesn't sound high pitched anymore.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The biggest problem with this platform is it doesn't rev high enough to really get that nice high pitch sound. If we could turn the engine to 7-8k it would sound like a ferrari with the exhaust setup you had.
The car in post #1 sounded high revving, especially with the custom headers.

The exhaust seemed to have a sort of frequency doubling effect.

Nick
Old 07-22-2016, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
The car in post #1 sounded high revving, especially with the custom headers.

The exhaust seemed to have a sort of frequency doubling effect.

Nick
Those headers look to be true equal length, which if the firing pattern is properly matched, results in even spaces between cyl events and that awesome racecar sound. There's no way to replicate that without matching the runner length to the collector, otherwise you get overlap and the pulses dilute each other.

So yes to get the retarded wail the original car had would require those headers. Or a good open exhaust on stock headers with a higher redline would do the trick.

I've looked into this a little as the cars are so cheap now, I've contemplated buying one just to do the exhaust and drive around making cool noises in.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
My sl600 129 chassis would hold the gears and not upshift like the w220 does- and it would scream with straight exhaust and stock manifolds
Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
What's the redline on the 5.8?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Jack_88
What's the redline on the 5.8?
Dash looks the same with indicated redline at 6k. I'm sure it's not much different than the biturbo, they weren't using these engines as high-rpm screamers but as velvety smooth luxury powerplants.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by shooffnyc
Yes it does.

I've said it before that the engine has peak high pitched sound when it's between 2.5-3K RPM. Redlining it changes the sound and doesn't sound high pitched anymore.
Interestingly enough, my TTV12 also gets its peak high pitched sound around 2.5-3K RPM. Not as loud as the NA V12, but it still does have that high pitched sound only at around that RPM. After 3K RPM, the noise gets watered down and you hear more engine noise than exhaust noise.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:01 PM

So I've been emailing back & forth with the custom header shop the past few months.

In the last E-Mail this is what they said:

If you could take the oem manifolds and tack them together and then get a 2 bolt flange tacked off the manifolds to where the exit should be with plenty of pictures and measurements of the surroundings we should be able to get an equal length headers from that.
So with that, I'm thinking of getting a full set of used OEM headers which is like $200 from eBay, then taking pictures underneath the car of how the headers sit. Also measuring the distance from where they bolt on to how much space they have between block and the engine bay for horizontal clearance. I am not sure about vertical clearance yet.

HOWEVER, my BIGGEST challenge right now is, the 'dual set' of headers in each side compared to TGSASAKIs headers which seems to have one single piece for each side with one collector.

The OEM headers basically have two sets of headers in each side which merge into one collector. With that presents the problem of having TWO primary O2 sensors in each side instead of one.

If I'm making a single piece of header which is to merge to a single collector without splitting, then what would I do with the extra O2 sensor cable. That's just throw things off. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 S600
I would probably just put two bungs in the new pipe and leave both sensors installed after or at the merge.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 S600 Biturbo
If someone can get a car to me for a few days in Portsmouth NH, I would be willing to make an equal length manifold at cost. Cost is quite variable depending on material and finish options.

Some photos of one I just finished tacking together today for an OM606 build we are doing. Keep in mind that this is just the first step of the fabrication phase. When finished they will be fully TIG welded and then ceramic coated just like the ones posted above. We could also do bare polished stainless which looks pretty cool but ceramic is a better choice if budget allows.:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post6921652

Last edited by _Ryan; 09-21-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:03 PM

2004 S600
That's pretty impressive considering. Certainly a lot better than I could do. Some of those gaps are going to be a pain in the butt to TIG though! Would love it if you post pics of that piece here when it's finished.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 AM

2004 S600 Biturbo
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef
That's pretty impressive considering. Certainly a lot better than I could do. Some of those gaps are going to be a pain in the butt to TIG though! Would love it if you post pics of that piece here when it's finished.
Thanks.

Any air gaps you see will be eliminated before TIG welding. TIG filler won;t actually be used to fill the gaps. We will wiggle things around and re-adjust as necessary to mate up the smaller gaps. The larger gaps will be made slightly bigger if possible and we will cut some more piping to fit. The welds will all be single width. It's far easier to move things around a little bit and cut elbows when the manifold is on the bench than it is in the car so we just left them out for the tacking process.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
Am I the only one looking at that TGSASAKI manifold and thinking that the exhaust flanges aren't co-planar? See how the shadows differ? Cylinder 2, for example, sits a few mm OFF the table while the rest all show some varying degree of gap between table and flange...that will put some unusual stress on the manifold if it's tightened enough (to the head, which has al the ports in the same plane) to eliminate leaks.

Will they mill the flanges now that it's built up to make them all flat and co-planar?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 AM

2004 S600
Originally Posted by Astro14
Am I the only one looking at that TGSASAKI manifold and thinking that the exhaust flanges aren't co-planar? See how the shadows differ? Cylinder 2, for example, sits a few mm OFF the table while the rest all show some varying degree of gap between table and flange...that will put some unusual stress on the manifold if it's tightened enough (to the head, which has al the ports in the same plane) to eliminate leaks.

Will they mill the flanges now that it's built up to make them all flat and co-planar?
Interesting observation. With that much piping and individual flanges I don't think it will be an issue, they should flex right back into place. But it brings up a good point. Most 4 cyl or V6 flanges I have done have to be surfaced to take the warp out if they aren't welded with the flange bolted up on a purpose built water-cooled fixture.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 PM

2004 S600 Biturbo
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef
Interesting observation. With that much piping and individual flanges I don't think it will be an issue, they should flex right back into place. But it brings up a good point. Most 4 cyl or V6 flanges I have done have to be surfaced to take the warp out if they aren't welded with the flange bolted up on a purpose built water-cooled fixture.
+1

With individual flanges and super long pipe runs like that header, I would expect a little bit of warping. It should pull flat against the head with no issues. Is it perfect? No. Is it going to cause any problems? No

Zeph, you mentioned having done header flanges before. Did you make them or buy them? A lot of the ones that are pre-made come warped. I always like to make my own flanges to have better control over it. In the photo above we had to use someone else's flange and it was BADLY warped. It can be frustrating dealing with stuff like that. On top of that, like you mentioned, it is very hard to keep them from warping when welding a complex design.

Last edited by _Ryan; 09-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:43 PM

2004 S600
Originally Posted by _Ryan
+1

With individual flanges and super long pipe runs like that header, I would expect a little bit of warping. It should pull flat against the head with no issues. Is it perfect? No. Is it going to cause any problems? No

Zeph, you mentioned having done header flanges before. Did you make them or buy them? A lot of the ones that are pre-made come warped. I always like to make my own flanges to have better control over it. In the photo above we had to use someone else's flange and it was BADLY warped. It can be frustrating dealing with stuff like that. On top of that, like you mentioned, it is very hard to keep them from warping when welding a complex design.
I'm an ultra cheap-***. I usually chop the stock flange off and reuse, lol. I don't do for-hire stuff I'm usually just building a shade tree turbo kit or something for a friend. I attempted to get into the production business at one point years ago and had about two dozen flanges CNC'd up for that little venture. They were 1/2" thick and contoured from the oval ports to accept round pipe weld els. They were a dream to work with but I was too early to the party on that particular platform and the interest just wasn't there so I only completed that first set and just sold the rest of the flanges to other individuals/fabricators.

These days, I DO NOT do pretty, lol. I am mostly too impatient for the TIG so I just crank up the MIG and goober something together. Takes about 1/4 the time, lol.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CLKBS
Looking good
Old 10-06-2016, 04:58 PM

Today, the car was loaded onto a trailer and is currently on its way to a secret location. It is unknown to the public where it will be...But the phase 'making it happen' has begun....

Stay tuned for more updates...
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by shooffnyc
Today, the car was loaded onto a trailer and is currently on its way to a secret location. It is unknown to the public where it will be...But the phase 'making it happen' has begun....

Stay tuned for more updates...
No way.... I salute you and your dedication sir

Time to get everyone on this forum jealous lmao
Old 12-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Update:

I kinda kept it on the downlow because I wanted things to be in place before I make announcements. But I guess I'll mention them now since things are getting closer.

The car is currently waiting on flanges from the machine shop. The first set weren't a proper fit so they had to be sent back and a new one done. Hopefully the next ones will be a proper fit.

After that, the runners will be measured and put on. Hoping to have it all done on the week of X-mas as long as the flanges come back on time and are proper fit. Can't wait!

(Picture is from when the car was being unloaded to the shop.)

Old 12-07-2016, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
This is awesome !! Are the measurements being kept by the shop so additional sets can be made , or will this be a one - off part?

You could probably make some money selling these assuming the parts price comes down because of making multiple parts
Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
04 ML500, 05 S600
Originally Posted by Astro14

Those headers have slip fit collectors. So the piping can rotate a bit when installing.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
the vacuum operated valve on the NAv12 closes when the engine runs at power in the 6 cylinder mode, to keep things "warm", such as the O2 sensors.

The 6 cylinder cut out mode can be de-activated with SDS, but then the O2 sensors will not adapt.
PIA!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Latest update:
So the shop has had a few hurdles since my last post. The machine shop they were dealing with kept producing bad quality header flanges that kept warping. So they had to switch to another machine shop that hopefully can produce better quality flanges. Last month when I spoke to the shop, they said it was still in queue from their new machine shop to be fabricated.

The header flanges are the first part of this process. Second part is the measurement, fabrication, and fitment of the headers, which the shop said is the easy part as they use some sort of 3D scanning tool to do the measurements. And they do the header fabrication in house. (Some of you may already know which shop it is by mentioning this...hint hint OM606)

Still waiting for the next part of this process, which should be the fun part...
Old 04-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Feeling Disappointed

Latest Update:

This has taken a weird turn. The shop I gave the car to for the work to be done hasn't got back to me in over a month. And it's gotten me a bit worried. I usually contact him every month and he gives me status update. But it's been 1 1/2 months since we've been in contact. I left multiple voice mails and multiple text messages. He hasn't returned any.

I hate stuff like this cuz I have too much good faith in humanity especially someone who owns a MB Repair Shop, and is the owner of Overlandchallene.com which is an offroad vehicle challenge portal and exploringnh.com which is about New hampshire outdoor recreation.

So if anyone knows Ryan from W220Repair in Maine, or lives around Kittery, Maine I would appreciate if they can reach out to him. I know he's posted his work here before.

Some suggested I call the local Sheriff but I would really hate to take it to that level if there is something more simple going on rather than ill intent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S600 F1 Exhaust - Making it Happen