S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Abc pressure dropping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
Abc pressure dropping

Hi guys new to this forum and read many interesting and informative threads so was looking for some help to an abc problem on a 2003 s600 the light is obviously on and the pressure starts at 180 bar and will gradually decrease to 0 bar now the car was garaged for about 2 years and not driven and had no problems beforehand the error code is c1526-016 so the question is would it be the pressure sensor or the accumulator attached to it or more sinister the pump but if it were the pump shouldn't I have no pressure at all rather than diminishing pressure hopefully someone has had the same issue and can help
thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W220 forum...
Old 06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Welcome to the forum Abstar.

Since it has been sitting for 2 years with no driving there are lots of possibilities. Your best bet is to find someone with a STAR diagnostics system to check everything out before spending a lot of money on parts that may not be necessary. One possibility you may want to consider is having the ABC system flushed. If you have no experience doing such a thing it would be best to find a good INDY who could help you out. The ABC system is very delicate and the least amount of contamination could cause major problems.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Could be the valve blocks sticking open

theres a guy on eBay who rebuilds them for $125

i would first have the valve blocks rebuilt , if that does not help then try a rebuilt acdelco abc pump from rockauto for $250
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 AM

s600
Originally Posted by tusabes
Could be the valve blocks sticking open

theres a guy on eBay who rebuilds them for $125

i would first have the valve blocks rebuilt , if that does not help then try a rebuilt acdelco abc pump from rockauto for $250
thanks tusabes
but it's the pump losing pressure that I'm stumped with because the hydraulic pump should either work or not ..not produce pressure then slowly lose it with all that I've read I believe the pressure sensor controls the pump on when to produce pressure or not so I'm leaning to that in regards to the valve blocks I thought they control the pressure to the struts once the system has pressure I have a guy coming over with star to diagnose so I'll see what that shows up as the previous person said
thanks again
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
Suction valve bolted to the pump is stuck.

Front and rear valve blocks open/close very quickly to maintain level, if they where stuck, then one corner/end of the car would be either on the floor or up in the air fully.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by abstar
...an abc problem on a 2003 s600 the light is obviously on and the pressure starts at 180 bar and will gradually decrease to 0 bar ...
Can you explain everything in as much detail as you can please?

How do you know 180 bar? Do you have MB STAR?

What are the circumstances for the pressure drop? What si the car doing?

Is the suspension sitting at normal height?

Does it respond to the height control?

Nick
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 AM

s600
Originally Posted by alexanderfoti
Suction valve bolted to the pump is stuck.

Front and rear valve blocks open/close very quickly to maintain level, if they where stuck, then one corner/end of the car would be either on the floor or up in the air fully.

hi alexanderfoti
would the suction valve need to remain closed to maintain pressure? If there were a small leak in the seals of the suction valve that would explain the inability to maintain pressure yes ?
Thanks for your input
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by abstar
hi alexanderfoti
would the suction valve need to remain closed to maintain pressure? If there were a small leak in the seals of the suction valve that would explain the inability to maintain pressure yes ?
Thanks for your input
Suction valve is modulated by the ABC ecu to maintain pressure under load. If its stuck closed you will only get a smalll amount of pressure under demand (actuation valves) pull the pressure below the limit.

However, answer Welwynnicks questions as its important to know this information to provide an accurate diagnosis.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 AM

s600
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Can you explain everything in as much detail as you can please?

How do you know 180 bar? Do you have MB STAR?

What are the circumstances for the pressure drop? What si the car doing?

Is the suspension sitting at normal height?

Does it respond to the height control?

Nick
hi welwnnick
I have a diagnostic scanner that can read the abc system but is not star as in my original post the fault cobe is c1526-016 malfunction in pressure supply and it shows me 170-180 bar on start then gradually decreases 1 bar at a time like a count down clock it will respond to height control as if I leave the car for a few days it does sag but I know this is the valve blocks and have seal kit at the ready to install but want to sort out the maintaining of pressure
thanks again for any assistance