Just replaced ignition switch and Radio/Sun Shade Won't Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
2000 s500 Just replaced ignition switch and Radio/Sun Shade Won't Work

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2000 S500 that has been giving me all sorts of problems lately. Firstly I had to replace the ignition switch and when I picked it up from the repair shop my radio will not power on, nor will the sun shade move from the up position. Also it seems that the "entrance position" malfunction message is staying on the console all the time. The car sat for about a week before I had them replace the ignition switch. Does this sound like one issue? Fuse?

Last edited by tommyg84; 07-25-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 AM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by tommyg84
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2000 S500 that has been giving me all sorts of problems lately. Firstly I had to replace the ignition switch and when I picked it up from the repair shop my radio will not power on, nor will the sun shade move from the up position. Also it seems that the "entrance position" malfunction message is staying on the console all the time. The car sat for about a week before I had them replace the ignition switch. Does this sound like one issue? Fuse?
I'm sorry guys if I broke protocol or forum etiquette with this post. This is my first one and I'm not sure how this community works. I really do need help and I heard this was the best place to get it and I'm assuming I've done something wrong because no one is responding. I really would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
No, you did nothing wrong. This is a good forum, but it is not the busiest W220 forum - that would be https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/ Many folks keep up with both.

Your post is a bit puzzling - the EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch) is one of the four "Theft-Related Devices" that are hard-coded with the VIN, and replacing it is not a trivial job.

Other than checking the fuses and the power connection, no ideas on the radio and sunshade.

The entrance position malfunction may just need the reset procedure. Sitting in the seat, run it all the way to the front, holding the switch for two or three seconds after the seat stops. Repeat going rearwards. Repeat on moving the steering column up, then down, then in, then out. You may need to do the same reset with the windows and the sunroof.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
I am also perplexed. Why did the ignition switch need replacing?

To replace the ignition switch, a DEALER must order it from Mercedes (Germany) and have it 'coded'by the factory for your VIN. They are required to personally verify the VIN/Ownership of the car before ordering and delivering the part. The EIS system will not allow any other way. This is to prevent unauthorized (illegal) replacement of the switch on a stolen vehicle.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:26 AM

2000 S500
EIS was by an indie from part ordered from Mercedes

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried everything but the EIS needed to be replaced so I had a local guy with a great reputation do it. Nothing shady, the part was ordered from Mercedes and he needed my registration, title, DL ect do do it. However, as I mentioned before, now it seems that certain electrical features do not work. The radio and command will not even power on and for some reason the shade is stuck up and the rear head rests won't move. I also have that perplexing "entrance position" stuck on the console. Wally, thanks for the suggestion and I will try to do the reset with the seat, but as a whole it seems incredibly weird.

Do you think that some sort of reset procedure needs to be enacted for the radio and the sun shade? It seems that all of the switches on the dash work to the left of the Hazzard button, but to the right they do not.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
One possibility is that one connector is not making good contact, and everything down-stream of that connector isn't working. Have you considered going back to the shop that did the work and pointing out the problems? I assume that you paid him well...
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM

2000 S500
Yes, I'm taking it back on Monday. It almost HAS to be something they did during instillation right? The only reason I took it back was because I needed a car that day and was under the gun at work. I don't even know what replacing the EIS entails... do they have to remove enough where they could possibly interfere with the connector? This indie shop should eat the cost on this, no?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
The EIS is a sizeable box inside the dash, just in front of where the key fits. There would be several connectors involved.

I would expect them to fix any mistakes that they made.