S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

05 W220 COMAND MOST Audio AUX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2019 | 01:11 AM
Banned

mgLipGD
05 W220 COMAND MOST Audio AUX

Hi all!!! Has anyone been successful interfacing with the stereo getting an AUX or Bluetooth connectivity?
I am tired of using the noisy FM transmitter. I don't want to get a new head unit since I believe I lose the factory amp which powers the subwoofer. My budget is $150 max for this luxury. Otherwise, the FM transmitter will have to suffice.

I found this part on AMazon that seems promising. But I can't get good information on how to connect to the system. I tried to call the manufacturer overseas but they don't speak English.
Amazon Amazon

Any ideas????
Old 08-07-2019 | 03:40 PM

CL
THERE IS NOTHING FOT MOST
NOTHING
ONLY FOR D2B

forget about budgets with these cars or buy yourself a LADA
Old 08-07-2019 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
The most economic approach is probably to buy another Bluetooth/FM device. I have several, and all give good quality sound.
Old 08-08-2019 | 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Just get a custom w220 android head unit
they are about $200 and connect to factory amps and look factory too
Old 08-10-2019 | 01:07 AM

They are complete junk and there are horror stories of them failing and taking out major components along with them!
Old 08-10-2019 | 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
Interesting...

Do you have any links to the horror stories? I am thinking about updating my 2003, and have been reading the stories by the folks who had good luck, but would also be interested in hearing from folks who didn't.
Old 08-10-2019 | 10:28 AM

001 s600, 94 sl600
Mercedes "audio systems" were very chaotic for several years with different vendors and different 'protocols' in different vehicle models and even in same model in same model years. Your SPECIFIC VIN 'Build Sheet' should identify exactly what was built in your vehicle. MBZ Tech Support can provide you a copy if you don't have it.

It takes a competent MBZ knowledgeable Audio Systems Tech to figure out exactly what 'modifications' you will need to achieve what you are seeking. Your budget is wish-full thinking. It MAY work, but can easily take 10 times that amount to achieve what you want. Daimler got 'infected' when linked up with Chrysler and attempted to emulate the 'standardization of electronic modules' . Chrysler used different PROMS programming and identical hardware modules for everything.

'Advertising' and other promotional information may not be accurate for your specific 'factory' installation.

Last edited by Kebowers47; 09-02-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
"Just get a custom w220 android head unit they are about $200 and connect to factory amps and look factory too"

The ones that I find are $300 - $450. Connecting to stock amps is pretty much hit-or-miss. Some folks who have installed android units recommend running speaker wires directly to the head unit (using a $65 harness) and dropping the audio fiber optics completely. The CD changer no longer works with the android units.

The modernized android system is tempting, but I'm still doing my due diligence.
Old 08-10-2019 | 03:33 PM

CL
THERE IS NOTHING FOT MOST
NOTHING
ONLY FOR D2B
If you have D2B on your car you can use fiber

if not, use a new new good amp and rewire

the androids are not crap, the intern amp is
and cooling is

as long as you use a good amp like a 5 channel Focal and you use a plugin for EQ
you get great sound

you should also mount it WITHOUT the cover. cooling is crap
Old 08-30-2019 | 06:10 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
The GROM Audio MST-4 will do exactly what you want and work with MOST and will give you USB audio input, AUX audio input with USB power cable as well, and Bluetooth telephone integration with a wired microphone.

I just installed one in my 2005 S500 4MATIC. It goes into the fiber optic ring in place of the CD changer in the trunk.

I needed extension cables for USB and AUX to get the cables up to the center console.

Install involved removing seats, center console, and pulling up the carpet on the driver's side. It wasn't trivial, but I did do it myself.

But it costs more than your budget. If you sign up on the GROM website for sale notifications, you can catch a better price. I got mine in late 2017 with the Bluetooth and AUX cables for under $335 total including tax. Looking right now, full price with tax would be around $400.

--I am not affiliated in any way with GROM Audio.--
Old 08-30-2019 | 06:12 PM

CL
nice find
https://gromaudio.com

and yes it is MOST

https://gromaudio.com/store/most_ada...optofiber.html

Last edited by pmercury; 08-30-2019 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
turbonos7 (09-07-2019)
Old 08-31-2019 | 11:54 PM

W222 S550 4Matic and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2004 S500 and I installed the Grom unit a few years back. It's awesome! The unit replaces the factory CD changer and adds Bluetooth music and telephone connectivity, an aux audio port, and usb ports for flash drives or phone charging. You're able to control the music features of your phone via COMAND and the steering wheel; however that feature is somewhat unreliable. Not sure if it's the Grom unit, my Android phone, or my service provider, but ever so often I have to reset the audio control feature by hitting next on steering wheel, selecting pause on my phone, and then selecting play on my phone. That resets it all, and the ability to control my phone via the Mercedes controls returns.

I was recently drawn to the idea of installing the Erisin unit (Chinese direct replacement product) after learning that it could be connected to the MOST system. I quickly discovered that the audio sounds below average, but more importantly, other features of the car are impacted by the loss of COMAND. When the AC controls began to act up, I cut my losses, removed the Erisin device and re-installed the COMAND and Grom.
Old 09-01-2019 | 03:40 AM

CL
Originally Posted by SilverArrow44
I have a 2004 S500 and I installed the Grom unit a few years back. It's awesome! The unit replaces the factory CD changer and adds Bluetooth music and telephone connectivity, an aux audio port, and usb ports for flash drives or phone charging. You're able to control the music features of your phone via COMAND and the steering wheel; however that feature is somewhat unreliable. Not sure if it's the Grom unit, my Android phone, or my service provider, but ever so often I have to reset the audio control feature by hitting next on steering wheel, selecting pause on my phone, and then selecting play on my phone. That resets it all, and the ability to control my phone via the Mercedes controls returns.

I was recently drawn to the idea of installing the Erisin unit (Chinese direct replacement product) after learning that it could be connected to the MOST system. I quickly discovered that the audio sounds below average, but more importantly, other features of the car are impacted by the loss of COMAND. When the AC controls began to act up, I cut my losses, removed the Erisin device and re-installed the COMAND and Grom.
"When the AC controls began to act up," that is not normal, nothing is affected if you code your car after removing devices
there are some device that need to be coded with Xentry after removing or replacing
Many still don't understand that YOU CAN NOT get these cars work properly without Xentry and SDconnect. even if you get the car to not show up anything in the dash, it working perfect is often just a ILLUSION. when running Xentry show a whole list of faults
that is how I started up many years ago and I don't regret 1 day investing 600 in a system
if you can't afford spending that kind of money, drive a Lada
Old 09-01-2019 | 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
It’s been reported that people tap into the wrong area of the can bus when installing android units and that causes the problems
Old 09-01-2019 | 04:51 PM

CL
Originally Posted by tusabes
It’s been reported that people tap into the wrong area of the can bus when installing android units and that causes the problems
as long as you use the right adapter and don't tap the can
then desactivate all removed devices on can network no problem
Old 09-02-2019 | 10:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz S430, S500, S600, and E320 CDI
OP, if your budget is only $150, then your options are definitely limited. You're basically looking at a replacement FM transmitter, a better quality one than the one currently in the car.

If you would consider an Android head unit, though, I can recommend Erisin's head units. With all the bells 'n' whistles, and shipping, it was about $550. My wife's 2000 S500 has had the ES3782S for the last year. So far, fine results. I did install a 300W amp to power the rear 10" woofer, and it is also recommended to change out the factory Bose 6.5" door speakers for some good aftermarket co-axials (the size is a standard one, 6.5", and they use spade connectors, so this is easy to do). The reason for suggesting the door speakers is because the factory ones require "Bose equalization", and replacement head units have the standard flat EQ curve.