S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Cooling Fan runs at High Speed and AC stops working during high Ambient Temperatures.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Cooling Fan runs at High Speed and AC stops working during high Ambient Temperatures.

The Radiator Cooling Fan on my 2000 Mercedes S430 runs at full speed whenever the outside temperature gets close to 90 degrees and higher. When this happens, the Air Conditioning also stops blowing cold air. As soon as the outside air temperature cools down, the Radiator Fan and Air Conditioning works flawlessly. It usually happens after I’ve driven the car and it has set for a while. For example, I drove the car to a restaurant 20 minutes away, and all work just fine. After eating and returning to the car an hour later, the Radiator Colling Fan came on full speed a few minutes later and the Air Conditioning stopped working. This happened twice. It could be just a coincidence that it was warmer outside than when I arrived at the restaurants. The only other different circumstance that this happened is when I was sitting in slow traffic, the same sequence occurred again. Once I arrived home, I parked the car, got into it the next day, and everything was fine.

The Coolant Temperature gauge is always between 80° and 85° C.

It was more than 100° all weekend and the sequence was consistent all day. When the weather cooled down to mid-80’s, I ran errands in the car all afternoon and everything worked fine. I checked for error codes and there are none.

Sometimes even if the Air Conditioning is not on, you can hear and feel the Radiator Cooling Fan come on momentarily for about 3 seconds. You can feel the electrical load when this happens.

My first impression is something is causing the Radiator Cooling Fan to go high speed and this is causing the Air Conditioning to turn off to lessen whatever is causing the car to think the Radiator Cooling Fan is needed. During one of the sequences, I dowsed the fan, radiator and condenser area with 2 bottles of cold drinking water and the fan stopped running at high speed and the Air Conditioning went back to working normally until a week later when the outside temperatures raised as they did this weekend.

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Old 07-04-2023, 01:01 AM

C320
radiator fan run high

Mango1,
My 2002 C320 do the same thing but all the electrics cut off but the car will still drive. note: I take the key out and everything
returns to normal.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:04 AM

C320
Mango1,
When my C320 is put in "R" the right front mirror go down?????
Old 07-04-2023, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W220 forum...
bad thermostat?
Old 07-04-2023, 11:22 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by MJ50
bad thermostat?
Considered that one early on, except the Coolant Temperature gauge is always dead cold before starting the car at the beginning of the day, then rises to between 80° and 85° C, no matter how hot (or cold) the weather. I believe the Coolant Temperature gauge would rise a lot higher if the Thermostat was not operating properly.

Last night, I disconnected the Coolant Temperature Sensor and the Radiator Cooling Fan ran at high speed as I would expect. It ran the same as it does when I am experiencing the issue. When I reconnected the Coolant Temperature Sensor, Radiator Cooling Fan returned to normal.

Last edited by Greg1320; 07-04-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:24 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by mango1
Mango1,
When my C320 is put in "R" the right front mirror go down?????
This is not related to my topic. However, I do know that if you place the mirror adjustment selector to the driver's side mirror (left if you're in the United States), the function you described will deactivate.

Last edited by Greg1320; 07-04-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:11 AM

2000 S430
Well, I am still having the same issue. Meanwhile, I've been reading the exact same stories elsewhere

Here is the quote from another guy with the same issue and the exact same car and in his exact words and spelling:

"My car ac is working properly when it is cool. if its parked on hot sun, ac is not working, blowing hot air. Gas is filled but sometimes especially when it is parked full day and I start, it will not work. Some times its working after 20 minutes but some times its not working. If car is parked full night and early morning, if I start its working."

I also read on this sight about a bulletin Mercedes issued a few years ago similar to my situation, but it was a newer and completely different model.

Still wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and found a solution.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2023, 12:21 PM

2000 S430
Well, problem still exists, but I still try different things to try to resolve it. This is what happened this weekend.

I gassed the old 2000 S430 and took it into the fire!! I drove it from the Bay Area where it was in the 60's, to the Mojave area where the temperature was 115 degrees. While enroute, the air conditioning stopped working 3 times; first, not very far from home where the temperatures were only in the 80's. I pulled over, and went into one of those self-serving car washes and rinsed the condenser area. But before even doing that, I attached a freon filler hose without any freon attached and did a quick psss of the trigger. The AC started working before I even cooled the condenser.

About an hour later, I hit traffic and the AC stopped working again. Since there was no car wash nearby, I pulled into a rest area, pssss just a little more, and the AC went to working. From that point I made it all the way to Bakersfield where the temperatures reached more than 100 degrees.

The next day, I got in the car, drove back and forth to the Bakersfield Airport where the temperatures were in the mid 90's, made a few errands around town, went to a shopping mall for a few minutes, then jumped in the car a continued my drive to the Mohave area. The AC continued working until the outside temperatures reached 112 degrees out in the middle of nowhere. Out of desperation, I pulled over, essentially in Death Valley, pssss again until I saw liquid, and continued my drive. From that point I drove the car to Ridgecrest CA, ran several errands in Ridgecrest where the temperature was a solid 112 the entire hour I was there, hit the road back towards the Bay Area where the temperature was as much as 115, stopped in Bakersfield for about an hour where the temperature was a solid 105, jumped back in the car and drove back to the Bay Area where within 20 miles of reaching my house, the temperature was on 56 degrees. The AC never stopped working after that last pssss in Death Valley! I can, however hear a slight groan like the compressor may be straining.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I'm thinking the clowns who evacuated the system and recharged it put too much in it. They kind of did a "Let's put this much in it" style of filling it. I believe there is more need of a calculation considering outside temperature way of doing it, but since they had all the equipment and I don't, I was kind fo at their mercy at that time.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:46 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
Overcharged and/or moisture in the system.
You can't charge the MB system by pressure readings on the filler equipment (as done by "regular" rechnicians)
Filling must be done by discharging completely (with engine off), and then filling the exact amount as shown on the decal under the hood.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Greg1320
Well, problem still exists, but I still try different things to try to resolve it. This is what happened this weekend.

I gassed the old 2000 S430 and took it into the fire!! I drove it from the Bay Area where it was in the 60's, to the Mojave area where the temperature was 115 degrees. While enroute, the air conditioning stopped working 3 times; first, not very far from home where the temperatures were only in the 80's. I pulled over, and went into one of those self-serving car washes and rinsed the condenser area. But before even doing that, I attached a freon filler hose without any freon attached and did a quick psss of the trigger. The AC started working before I even cooled the condenser.

About an hour later, I hit traffic and the AC stopped working again. Since there was no car wash nearby, I pulled into a rest area, pssss just a little more, and the AC went to working. From that point I made it all the way to Bakersfield where the temperatures reached more than 100 degrees.

The next day, I got in the car, drove back and forth to the Bakersfield Airport where the temperatures were in the mid 90's, made a few errands around town, went to a shopping mall for a few minutes, then jumped in the car a continued my drive to the Mohave area. The AC continued working until the outside temperatures reached 112 degrees out in the middle of nowhere. Out of desperation, I pulled over, essentially in Death Valley, pssss again until I saw liquid, and continued my drive. From that point I drove the car to Ridgecrest CA, ran several errands in Ridgecrest where the temperature was a solid 112 the entire hour I was there, hit the road back towards the Bay Area where the temperature was as much as 115, stopped in Bakersfield for about an hour where the temperature was a solid 105, jumped back in the car and drove back to the Bay Area where within 20 miles of reaching my house, the temperature was on 56 degrees. The AC never stopped working after that last pssss in Death Valley! I can, however hear a slight groan like the compressor may be straining.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I'm thinking the clowns who evacuated the system and recharged it put too much in it. They kind of did a "Let's put this much in it" style of filling it. I believe there is more need of a calculation considering outside temperature way of doing it, but since they had all the equipment and I don't, I was kind fo at their mercy at that time.
56 degrees ? Do you live in Pacifica ? If so we are neighbors
Old 07-16-2023, 08:56 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by tusabes
56 degrees ? Do you live in Pacifica ? If so we are neighbors
Marin County
Old 07-18-2023, 12:45 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by kraut56
Filling must be done by discharging completely (with engine off)
What about when filling? Then the engine and air conditioner should be running?

Also, the decal was missing, but I found on the Internet it should be on the Right fuse cover. So I found a photo of it and it has all the right information. I will show it to the guy and tell him to follow what you explained and with the information contained on the label.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
No, if you start it without freon the control unit will lock out the compressor - it can only be be reset with SDS.
First: charge about 1 or 2 lbs into the system
Then, with engine running start system and charge the rest.
For people with SDS (and knowledge) the actual charge can be read

to remove any moisture you need to when still empty apply high vacuum for about 30 minutes

Last edited by kraut56; 07-18-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:36 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by kraut56
No, if you start it without freon the control unit will lock out the compressor - it can only be be reset with SDS.
First: charge about 1 or 2 lbs into the system
Then, with engine running start system and charge the rest.
For people with SDS (and knowledge) the actual charge can be read
Thanks! By the way, here is the decal you referenced.

I have another bit of information that is probably very important to know. The AC Compressor is an aftermarket sold by a company named "Buy Auto Parts". When it's working, it'w working fine until the pressure gets up there as I mentioned.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:54 AM

2000 S430
*****UPDATE*****

Since my adventurous ride last weekend into triple digit temperatures and releasing the low side pressure on several occasions, the Air Conditioner has worked consistently even in triple digit temperatures. I took it out again this weekend on a not-so-far trip but still where the temperatures almost reached triple digits again, emulated some of the same scenarios, and it never stopped working. So the overcharge was probably the culprit and moisture could also exist just as stated by MBWorld Super Member "kraut56". Still, I'm going to have it vacuumed and reloaded after what was obviously done incorrectly by the previous shop.

It seems every time I depend on a third party to work on the car, I have problems because they treat it as if it's "just a car" when I know better and it's difficult to tell "experts" they need to dig further.

It is kind of unreasonable to invest in a vacuum pump and hoses when it is unlikely I would use them more than once. But if I have to, I guess that is what I will have to do.

The place where I bought the Air Conditioner Compressor offered to send me another one at no charge just in case there was an issue. I really don't need it but I may consider it just to know I have a new Air Conditioner Compressor that has not experienced the overcharging and high pressures. But replacing Air Conditioner Compressor on this car is lots of work!

Finally, the Radiator Cooling Fan decided it wanted some attention too this week. It suddenly began making a loud, rattling noise. It was the fan itself where it spins on its axis. But it ended up just being a nuisance to deal with than anything else.

I found a used one for $150.00. It was an easy replacement, taking just 10 minutes or so to remove the old one and the same amount of time to install the replacement.

Last edited by Greg1320; 07-23-2023 at 11:02 AM.