S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New S-class is cheap looking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E-500, 2005 Mini Cooper S
New S-class is cheap looking

I just came back from the dealership - I didn't test drive the new S-class so I can't comment on the car's performance. However I feel that this is the cheapest looking S-class that Mercedes has ever built. The interior of my 2003 E-500 is far nicer. The S-class buttons and switches feel flimsy and look cheap and tacky. The car comes with crappy $90.00 ContiTouring tyres which are horrible. I just replaced mine with Michelin Pilot PS2 tyres - enhanced performance on wet and dry surfaces with less road noise. IMO the ContiTouring tyres are too dangerous to drive on wet pavement. If we could have BMW performance, Lexus reliability and the Audi interior and exterior we would have an awesome car. IMO the future of Mercedes looks bleak. The S-class looks like a disposable car.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Maybe if you test drove, your opinion might change a little. Sitting in a car won't tell you much, as you won't be buying the car to sit in.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
go away troll. Read my post.

I think mods should give out warrnings for such negativity.

Just saw black S class coming out of MB what a sexy mother of god!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Just saw black S class coming out of MB what a sexy mother of god!!!!
I saw it right next to the last S and the new S looked way better.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:26 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
If that wasn't your 2nd post we might have taken what you said somewhat seriously. Now, go find somewhere else to post your drivel.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
BzzzBom: very interesting. two threads, 10 minutes apart, saying the exact same thing....

from https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/136728-2009-e-class.html#post1469989 , with title "2009 E-class":

"If the 2009 E-class is anything like the new S-class we are in big trouble. I just came back from the dealership - The new S-class is very cheap looking. The interior looks tacky and flimsy with fake looking metal switches. The interior on the current E-class is much better. The S-class comes with crappy $90.00 ContiTouring tires. I just replaced mine with Michelin PS2 Pilots which have a far better ride on dry and wet surfaces and much less road noise. I guess I better take good care of my 2003 E-500 because the future for Mercedes looks bleak. If only we could have the reliability of Lexus, the performance of BMW and an Audi interior."

what's your agenda, mate?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
His first post was the same. In the W211 forum.

I betcha this is 750_Li_ED.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
He's just a hater. The new S class rocks.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Cheap buttons? You mean the real metals ones? Instead of the painted plastic like on most other cars?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
IMO the future of Mercedes looks bleak
Mercedes Corporate meeting

"Well that's it gents, pack it in. I know Karl Benz invented the automobile and we have created more automotive firsts over the past 100 years then all other car companies combined, but the facts are the facts. This 2 poster on the Mercedes forum says our future is bleak. We're shutting down global operations as of Monday. Been a hell of a run gentlemen....good luck in your future endeavours"

Last edited by Jakpro1; 02-11-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Hahahaha.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
I have seen the S550 in the showroom and it does look stunning.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by BzzzBom
I just came back from the dealership - I didn't test drive the new S-class so I can't comment on the car's performance. However I feel that this is the cheapest looking S-class that Mercedes has ever built. The interior of my 2003 E-500 is far nicer. The S-class buttons and switches feel flimsy and look cheap and tacky. The car comes with crappy $90.00 ContiTouring tyres which are horrible. I just replaced mine with Michelin Pilot PS2 tyres - enhanced performance on wet and dry surfaces with less road noise. IMO the ContiTouring tyres are too dangerous to drive on wet pavement. If we could have BMW performance, Lexus reliability and the Audi interior and exterior we would have an awesome car. IMO the future of Mercedes looks bleak. The S-class looks like a disposable car.
Not getting any huh ?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Mercedes Corporate meeting: "Well that's it gents, pack it in. I know Carl Benz invented the automobile and we have created more automotive firsts over the past 100 years then all other car companies combined, but the facts are the facts. This 2 poster on the Mercedes forum says our future is bleak. We're shutting down global operations as of Monday. Been a hell of a run gentlemen....good luck in your future endeavours"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ROFL

Excellent!

Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AsianML
Maybe if you test drove, your opinion might change a little. Sitting in a car won't tell you much, as you won't be buying the car to sit in.
I am sure the new S-class drives awesome but it's hard to drive with my eyes closed. I don't blame Mercedes for this car because it appears it is what the public wants. I guess my new S-class negativitiy started when a 1971 350 SE 3.5 drove by. For my money take away some of the glitz, bling and computer stuff and give me the old "bank-vault" car of the past.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Not getting any huh ?
None since I put the poster of the new S-class on my bedroom wall.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
What tree did you fall off?
Are you sure you were looking at MB not a Kia?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I am sure the new S-class drives awesome but it's hard to drive with my eyes closed. I don't blame Mercedes for this car because it appears it is what the public wants. I guess my new S-class negativitiy started when a 1971 350 SE 3.5 drove by. For my money take away some of the glitz, bling and computer stuff and give me the old "bank-vault" car of the past.
Then why are you posting it here? Noone cares what you think. We are here to enjoy our MB cars.

Try www.hatingmb.com or smth... Open you own forum and go there.

Ban pls.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by absent

What tree did you fall off?
Are you sure you were looking at MB not a Kia?
I thought it was a Kia until I saw the three pointed star on the hood. P.S. I am retired, have a lot of time on my hands and I am here to stay. My posts will become more positive as I get to know you all better - I promise.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 PM

"A Mercedes-Benz product"
Originally Posted by AsianML
His first post was the same. In the W211 forum.

I betcha this is 750_Li_ED.

OH, Yes! I bet you Lexus hires these people to sabotage their competitor's forums.
-bzzbom
-750_Li_ed
Old 02-11-2006, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
I thought it was a Kia until I saw the three pointed star on the hood. P.S. I am retired, have a lot of time on my hands and I am here to stay. My posts will become more positive as I get to know you all better - I promise.
No offense but I think you need to get your eyes re-examined.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:21 PM

BMW 2006 750Li
Taste is a very personal matter, which is why restaurants have menus. If everybody liked the same car there would be no competition.
Personally I think that the new S class looks great in some angles and not so nice from other angles, the car looks very different in other colors too, and since one can not yet see 15 S550 cars in a parking lot to choose from it is harder to fall in love for some people.
Now, regarding the attitude of some people here when they read something they do not like: all I have to say is that they are diminishing the quality of the posts and are bringing this forum to a level where serious people don't want to post here.
By instigating arguments with inflammatory nature all you are doing is inviting more people like you to join and stay.
If you don't agree with someone, say it politely and move on. If someone is wrong then correct them, if someone is posting stupid comments, move on and ignore them. One can not ague with himself.

Now regarding your comments about the complexity of the car, I can see where an older person would not be attracted to new technology, it looks complicated and overwhelming. I guarantee to you that if you took the time to learn all the car’s features and drive it using all of its capabilities you would learn to appreciate it. Regarding the looks you need to be open to new design concepts and understand that not everything was designed for everyone and this car obviously does not appeal to you and does to others.
Regarding the quality of materials, many others complained about it, but my BMW has even more plastic parts and knobs which I hate. If you want a higher level it does not exist, I sat in Rolls the other day and was not impressed to see in a $300,000 car the same key as in my 7 series and he same seat buttons and same i-drive. We are in an age where one does not get what they pay for, but gets what the factory gives and gets away with.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Wink

Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
Taste is a very personal matter, which is why restaurants have menus. If everybody liked the same car there would be no competition.
Personally I think that the new S class looks great in some angles and not so nice from other angles, the car looks very different in other colors too, and since one can not yet see 15 S550 cars in a parking lot to choose from it is harder to fall in love for some people.
Now, regarding the attitude of some people here when they read something they do not like: all I have to say is that they are diminishing the quality of the posts and are bringing this forum to a level where serious people don't want to post here.
By instigating arguments with inflammatory nature all you are doing is inviting more people like you to join and stay.
If you don't agree with someone, say it politely and move on. If someone is wrong then correct them, if someone is posting stupid comments, move on and ignore them. One can not ague with himself.

Now regarding your comments about the complexity of the car, I can see where an older person would not be attracted to new technology, it looks complicated and overwhelming. I guarantee to you that if you took the time to learn all the car’s features and drive it using all of its capabilities you would learn to appreciate it. Regarding the looks you need to be open to new design concepts and understand that not everything was designed for everyone and this car obviously does not appeal to you and does to others.
Regarding the quality of materials, many others complained about it, but my BMW has even more plastic parts and knobs which I hate. If you want a higher level it does not exist, I sat in Rolls the other day and was not impressed to see in a $300,000 car the same key as in my 7 series and he same seat buttons and same i-drive. We are in an age where one does not get what they pay for, but gets what the factory gives and gets away with.
I agree 100%. It seems like Audi wins the quality of interior materials game but I still wonder about their reliability. It seems like everything became plastic when Lexus entered the game. As far as reliability and driving enjoyment my 2003 E-500 is the best car I have ever owned. Thanks for your response and defending the first amendment.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:50 AM
Banned

F248 F1
haha im going to be bias and agree with you...the only other S class that i sorta like is the w140...then chrysler came...oh boy... anyways ! i havent sat in a new S class but i dont like the 1996-present benz much they look to honda.toyota to me...

P.S. i own a w126 because i thiink its the best MB ever made ...it's not that my family cant afford a new one..just that my dad dosent see the point in spending over 100k in a rebadge honda --hey dont flame me thast his quote.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
None since I put the poster of the new S-class on my bedroom wall.
So you have a love hate relationship with your wall posters ? Is there anything else in your bedroom you hate ? Perhaps ..... yourself ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New S-class is cheap looking