S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

WSJ Review of the S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Angry WSJ Review of the S550

I have yet to read anything positive about MB in the journal. BTW I’m not agreeing with them by no means in fact the S will be my next ride. Here’s what they said while all the others are giving rave reviews!

Con:
Parktronic device sounded an alarm as we drove through an automatic toll taker; need the dexterity of a 12 year old videogame junkie to adjust the in-dash video screen that controls such things as the radio, seat massagers, and alarm system; Imposing at 17 feet long - a foot longer than the Hummer H2; BMW-like trunk bulge and fender flares reminiscent of a 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado; We didn’t always love the seven-speed transmission. It annoyed us with its often indecisive search for the right gear. When accelerating to pass on the highway we expect a big, powerful car to downshift perhaps once, not two or three times; Often paused after we pressed hard on the accelerator; Base price is down a bit from 2006 yet still costlier the Audi A8 L or BMW 750Li and we’re not sure it’s worth the premium; We wouldn’t call it pretty, as we would rivals from Audi and Jaguar; Though metal colored, many controls are plastic and some, like the headlight switch, feel cheap; Throttle response often lags and the engine’s thirst earns it a $1000 gas guzzler tax; On city streets pocked with potholes, the ride was harsher than expected, even on Comfort setting; Active Body Control made the car feel numb, less fun.

Pro:
Butter-soft leather seats, a powerful engine and the solid, safe feel of a Teutonic tank; In most respects looks, performs, coddles occupants and stands up to the competing cars better than before.

For what it’s worth, in addition to all the rest PC Magazine (APR 11, page 66) gave the S550 their highest ranking. Also, mentioned that an all wheel drive is due this fall while a diesel version will be available for 07.

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-17-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I have yet to read anything positive about MB in the journal. BTW I’m not agreeing with them by no means in fact the S will be my next ride. Here’s what they said while all the others are giving rave reviews!

Con:
Parktronic device sounded an alarm as we drove through an automatic toll taker; need the dexterity of a 12 year old videogame junkie to adjust the in-dash video screen that controls such things as the radio, seat massagers, and alarm system; imposing at 17 feet long - a foot longer than the Hummer H2; BMW-like trunk bulge and fender flares reminiscent of a 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado; We didn’t always love the seven-speed transmission. It annoyed us with its often indecisive search for the right gear. When accelerating to pass on the highway we expect a big, powerful car to downshift perhaps once, not two or three times; Often paused after we pressed hard on the accelerator; Base price is down a bit from 2006 yet still costlier the Audi A8 L or BMW 750Li and we’re not sure it’s worth the premium; We wouldn’t call it pretty, as we would rivals from Audi and Jaguar; Though metal colored, many controls are plastic and some, like the headlight switch, feel cheap; Throttle response often lags and the engine’s thirst earns it a $1000 gas guzzler tax; On city streets pocked with potholes, the ride was harsher than expected, even on Comfort setting; Active Body Control made the car feel numb, less fun.

Pro:
Butter-soft leather seats, a powerful engine and the solid, safe feel of a Teutonic tank; In most respects looks, performs, coddles occupants and stands up to the competing cars better than before.

For what it’s worth, in addition to all the rest PC Magazine (APR 11, page 66) gave the S550 their highest ranking. Also, mentioned that an all wheel drive is due this fall while a diesel version will be available for 07.
wtf would wall street journal know anything about cars?

FWIW our S550 has been flawless and it performs much better than the 750li IMO. They clearly do not appreciate what a fine automobile it is.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

Con:
Parktronic device sounded an alarm as we drove through an automatic toll taker; need the dexterity of a 12 year old videogame junkie to adjust the in-dash video screen that controls such things as the radio, seat massagers, and alarm system; Imposing at 17 feet long - a foot longer than the Hummer H2; BMW-like trunk bulge and fender flares reminiscent of a 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado; We didn’t always love the seven-speed transmission. It annoyed us with its often indecisive search for the right gear. When accelerating to pass on the highway we expect a big, powerful car to downshift perhaps once, not two or three times; Often paused after we pressed hard on the accelerator; Base price is down a bit from 2006 yet still costlier the Audi A8 L or BMW 750Li and we’re not sure it’s worth the premium; We wouldn’t call it pretty, as we would rivals from Audi and Jaguar; Though metal colored, many controls are plastic and some, like the headlight switch, feel cheap; Throttle response often lags and the engine’s thirst earns it a $1000 gas guzzler tax; On city streets pocked with potholes, the ride was harsher than expected, even on Comfort setting; Active Body Control made the car feel numb, less fun.

Pro:

Sounds like sour grapes on behalf of the writer...his Camry probably broke down that day and he took it out on MB...because Lexus (sorry, Toyota) can do no wrong.

Someone should tell him there are "no competing cars" in this category....they (Audi and BMW) like their PR to be believed but the fact is...the new S stands alone in the field.

That last sentence of mine should bring them out of the woodwork...LOL
Old 03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It amazes me how stupid they are when it comes to cars. Their review flies in the face of every other review given on the S550 so you know what that means. They haven't a clue, to put it lightly. Yet another reason why they should stick to news and not pretending like they know something about cars.

M
Old 03-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 C63S Cabriolet, 2021 GLE53 Coupe, 2022 GT3 Touring, 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2022 F-150 Lightning
I can't remember the last time I ran to the news stand to get the WSJ and read their latest car review!

Jan
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It amazes me how stupid they are when it comes to cars. Their review flies in the face of every other review given on the S550 so you know what that means. They haven't a clue, to put it lightly. Yet another reason why they should stick to news and not pretending like they know something about cars.

M
Unfortunately, WSJ has one of the most, if not the most, influent in the high income & upper middle class. Its subscribers and readers are more likely to buy (mass produced) $100K car than any other magazine.

Cars, R&T, or C&D could praise the W221 all they want, but at the end, the 60-120 years old (rich) guy/lady who'll read the WSJ and decide whether to buy it or not.

The S targeted customers are those who read WSJ, IBD, or Forbes. Not really those who religiously read "car" magazines or forum like us.

Last edited by zam2000; 03-17-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, while they do read the WSJ they're probably not very concered what it has to think about automotive matters (or sports, entertainment...) It's just not an authority on these issues like it is on some others. Obviously their dislike of MB hasn't done the brand too much harm. Perhaps all of the rich folk are reading Robb Report for their leisure needs instead.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that people who regularly purchase $100K and above cars don't consult any publication at all to make their judgements...
Old 03-18-2006, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
You both are likely right, just varies from rich person to another. I can see some taking the WSJ as gospel and others that couldn't care less about what the WSJ has to say about a car.

M
Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 AM
ON PROBATION

Used to view it as a sort of holy-business source when I was much younger -- now I see their biases too clearly....

Don't hardly read anything from the WSJ anymore.....
Old 03-18-2006, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
The WSJ, and the NYTimes, are two of the most biased and least objective of all the fish wrappings out there.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by zam2000
Unfortunately, WSJ has one of the most, if not the most, influent in the high income & upper middle class. Its subscribers and readers are more likely to buy (mass produced) $100K car than any other magazine.

Cars, R&T, or C&D could praise the W221 all they want, but at the end, the 60-120 years old (rich) guy/lady who'll read the WSJ and decide whether to buy it or not.

The S targeted customers are those who read WSJ, IBD, or Forbes. Not really those who religiously read "car" magazines or forum like us.
By the time they reach that 60-120 year old age they would have plenty of their own experience in different brands and makes and they don't buy anything based on some journo's write-up.
These old ,rich geezers are really not that stupid,you know?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by absent
By the time they reach that 60-120 year old age they would have plenty of their own experience in different brands and makes and they don't buy anything based on some journo's write-up.
These old ,rich geezers are really not that stupid,you know?
You are right on the button absent. I am 14 years into that 60-120 age group and could care less about the WSJ or C&D or others telling me what they think about what car I should buy.

I may be "crazy" for trading my 2006 S430 for a 2007 S550...but I am not stupid...

As far as "old, rich and being a geezer"... it comes with the territory whether true or not
Old 03-18-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
As far as "old, rich and being a geezer"... it comes with the territory whether true or not
I was being sarcastic,should have used "old,rich..."
Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
Active Body Control made the car feel numb, less fun.
sums up the review nicely :p they really should stick with business. i always find it strange reading Forbes auto reviews as well.

heck, actually i don't give a damn whatever a review, by any mag, says: it's my money and my choice

then again, IF they say they are experiencing some issues, i would certainly check it out before buying the car. this is not the first review which says the ride isn't absolutely perfect: Autocar (UK) noted the same thing, and put the blame on the 20 inch wheels Merc supplied with the test cars (to look good in photos). perhaps sometihng similar here.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
If they don't expect a land yacht like the new S class to feel a little "numb" and "less fun" than, say, the average mid-sized sedan (take the E class for example) based on its bigger-than-hummer length alone, then they're not qualified to be putting their car reviews on anything other than the "editorial/opinion" page...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Also, mentioned that an all wheel drive is due this fall while a diesel version will be available for 07.

diesel???

could it be true?

I'll buy the first one I see!

Any idea of an intro date?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:22 PM

Metro Card : (
You are right on the button absent. I am 14 years into that 60-120 age group and could care less about the WSJ or C&D or others telling me what they think about what car I should buy.

I may be "crazy" for trading my 2006 S430 for a 2007 S550...but I am not stupid...

NevadaJack,

You're 74?! I could have sworn you were in your 30s based on your previous posts.

Way to go! Look fwd to seeing pics of your new ride.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jsloan01
NevadaJack,

You're 74?! I could have sworn you were in your 30s based on your previous posts.

Way to go! Look fwd to seeing pics of your new ride.
Thanks for the 30's...I'm in my 30's but year born, not current...LOL

You will see pictures galore when the time comes...:-)
Old 03-29-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Thanks for the 30's...I'm in my 30's but year born, not current...LOL

You will see pictures galore when the time comes...:-)
Starting to sound like ClayJ...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Starting to sound like ClayJ...
Only difference between me an ClayJ is I will deliver the goods for all to see.

No offense ClayJ but have never seen a picture of your "stable" of exotics and other beauties...:-)
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I couldn't help myself
Old 03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Neither could I....LOL
Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
ON PROBATION

Only difference between me an ClayJ is I will deliver the goods for all to see. No offense ClayJ but have never seen a picture of your "stable" of exotics and other beauties...:-)
No offense taken, Jack -- I haven't seen any of them lately either!

It isn't worth the effort really, but you could go back four months or so and find quite a few - another member asked about that and reminded me of that just the other day - but I'd wait for the new ones if I were you.

I have a residence near Vegas, and you've always seemed like a decent chap -- I think you'll end up with an invite for some up close and personal time with that stable.....
Old 03-29-2006, 05:00 PM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by ClayJ
No offense taken, Jack -- I haven't seen any of them lately either!

It isn't worth the effort really, but you could go back four months or so and find quite a few - another member asked about that and reminded me of that just the other day - but I'd wait for the new ones if I were you.

I have a residence near Vegas, and you've always seemed like a decent chap -- I think you'll end up with an invite for some up close and personal time with that stable.....

Word.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:04 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350

Holy crap, you are really 74 years old... I only wish I am still alive and kicking at that age... already I have back problems, and have to crack my back before I can sit comfortably.. lol

kudos to you man... and you sound nothing like an old geezer.. hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WSJ Review of the S550