S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

?'s for new 550 owners'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 183 Posts
?'s for new 550 owners'

So how's the new engine? Have you had a chance to pop the hood and listen to it idle? The previous 3 valve SOHC engines had quite a bit of valve train noise so I hope the new 4 valve DOHC version is quieter. How about the tires are they mostly Conti 2's? Are the tires smooth riding after sitting overnight, any steering wheel shimmies etc? How's the 7 speed, I'm hoping by now all the glitches have been properly exorcized.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by RJC
So how's the new engine? Have you had a chance to pop the hood and listen to it idle? The previous 3 valve SOHC engines had quite a bit of valve train noise so I hope the new 4 valve DOHC version is quieter. How about the tires are they mostly Conti 2's? Are the tires smooth riding after sitting overnight, any steering wheel shimmies etc? How's the 7 speed, I'm hoping by now all the glitches have been properly exorcized.

Thanks
I hardly ever "pop the hood" on my car. But to answer your question there is a slight hint outside that there is an engine under there, and inside you cannot hear the engine at all at idle.

The tires are Conti 2 and I have not noticed any flat spot roughness. Wheel shimmies??? I have never had wheel shimmies in any of my MB...the car tracks at 80mph with hands off the wheel straight and true.

The 7 speed is perfect at this point...my S430 had the thunk and the valve fix worked to perfection. I have yet to stomp on it from a stop but I am sure it will respond...the downshifts climbing some of those mountains on the trip home were smoot and when they clicked in you knew it.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I hardly ever "pop the hood" on my car. But to answer your question there is a slight hint outside that there is an engine under there, and inside you cannot hear the engine at all at idle.

The tires are Conti 2 and I have not noticed any flat spot roughness. Wheel shimmies??? I have never had wheel shimmies in any of my MB...the car tracks at 80mph with hands off the wheel straight and true.

The 7 speed is perfect at this point...my S430 had the thunk and the valve fix worked to perfection. I have yet to stomp on it from a stop but I am sure it will respond...the downshifts climbing some of those mountains on the trip home were smoot and when they clicked in you knew it.
Thanks Jack.

Unfortunately some MB's have had their share of steering wheel shimmies due to a few different factors, the folks in the E55 forum were having lots of issues with the Conti 2's flat spotting when first driven after sitting overnight. but thankfuly it sounds like your car is not affected; that's good new as I'm looking at a new E55 next week and they all come with Conti 2's. I'm sure the new DOHC 4 valve 550 engines are much quieter than the previous generation of MB engines; you've got to pop the hood at least once and admire that lovely new power plant. Very happy to hear that the 7 speed is nice and smooth and you're enjoying your new car...she's a beauty
Old 04-09-2006, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks Jack.

Unfortunately some MB's have had their share of steering wheel shimmies due to a few different factors, the folks in the E55 forum were having lots of issues with the Conti 2's flat spotting when first driven after sitting overnight. but thankfuly it sounds like your car is not affected; that's good new as I'm looking at a new E55 next week and they all come with Conti 2's. I'm sure the new DOHC 4 valve 550 engines are much quieter than the previous generation of MB engines; you've got to pop the hood at least once and admire that lovely new power plant. Very happy to hear that the 7 speed is nice and smooth and you're enjoying your new car...she's a beauty
Thanks RJC. I had a '03 E320 and I think it had Conti 2's and did not experience any shimmy, but I know it can happen. I had Bridgestone Potenza's on my S430 and I could notice a slight flat spot reaction but very minor. But these Continental's are fine so far. Everything is coming through with Conti's now.

Enjoy that new E55....
Old 04-09-2006, 01:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks RJC. I had a '03 E320 and I think it had Conti 2's and did not experience any shimmy, but I know it can happen. I had Bridgestone Potenza's on my S430 and I could notice a slight flat spot reaction but very minor. But these Continental's are fine so far. Everything is coming through with Conti's now.

Enjoy that new E55....
Thank you Jack, glad to hear the Conti's are performing well. The E55 is due in this week and I hope to test it by Thursday; if the #'s are right and the car is perfect she could be home on Thursday. I'll post pics etc if it happens.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Thank you Jack, glad to hear the Conti's are performing well. The E55 is due in this week and I hope to test it by Thursday; if the #'s are right and the car is perfect she could be home on Thursday. I'll post pics etc if it happens.
Hope the numbers are right and you drive that baby home...
Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hope the numbers are right and you drive that baby home...
Thanks. BTW I saw in another thread re: floor mat protection you had clear mats with FJ's inscribed on them; try using some rubbing alcohol to see if it removes the FJ lettering, you can also try nail polish remover as well.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2006, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks. BTW I saw in another thread re: floor mat protection you had clear mats with FJ's inscribed on them; try using some rubbing alcohol to see if it removes the FJ lettering, you can also try nail polish remover as well.
Thanks for the tip...I just ordered a set from the Mat Depot. I needed the rear mats since FJ only put them in front. They had the W221 in their inventory of custom mats....only $51 and free shipping.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the tip...I just ordered a set from the Mat Depot. I needed the rear mats since FJ only put them in front. They had the W221 in their inventory of custom mats....only $51 and free shipping.
Hope it works let me know. I use the clear plastic's too as the stone interior is so tough to keep clean. BTW rubbing alcohol removes those nasty shoe scuffs from the door's cloth kick panels, just pour some on a white terry towel and dab it on then rub lightly and keep dabing...works like a charm and leaves no soapy residue.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
RJC I have had some extensive time in the New S platform and it is much quieter and smoother than the W220. Tire noise is low, even at 155mph.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kar don
RJC I have had some extensive time in the New S platform and it is much quieter and smoother than the W220. Tire noise is low, even at 155mph.
I can vouch for that but only up to a 124mph...:-) 90mph would be about my self-imposed limit these days.....
Old 04-13-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
When my car is locked, and I go to open the car without the key on me, My odomoter and speedometer section of the console lights up. Anyway to turn that off? Someone walking by the car can grab the handle and see everything in the car almost.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akburton
When my car is locked, and I go to open the car without the key on me, My odomoter and speedometer section of the console lights up. Anyway to turn that off? Someone walking by the car can grab the handle and see everything in the car almost.
Hummmmm. Will have to check that one out AK...do you have the auto-delay shutoff set? I have never approached the car without the key so I will have to try it today...will let you know.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:34 AM

Hummmmm. Will have to check that one out AK...do you have the auto-delay shutoff set? I have never approached the car without the key so I will have to try it today...will let you know.
Please do. Thank you. Because I have not changed any of the settings.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please do. Thank you. Because I have not changed any of the settings.
Mine does the same thing AK. The dash lights up with the message "Key Not Recognized" I note the security light is still blinking red. It goes out after about 30 seconds or so. I don't think there is much you can do about it with the settings.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 PM

Mine does the same thing AK. The dash lights up with the message "Key Not Recognized" I note the security light is still blinking red. It goes out after about 30 seconds or so. I don't think there is much you can do about it with the settings.
Cool Jack, thanks for the confirmation.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
I think that's actually a safety feature in a lot of cars. It allows the owner to inspect the interior for someone laying in wait in the back seat before they open the door.