S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Park Assist / Parktronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 S63+2014 E550 Cab+2019 E450
Park Assist / Parktronic

What's the difference between these? I've read the manual but I don't understand how they differ. Is Park Assist part of Distronic plus? If so, does it come standard with Distronic Plus or is it optional?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by roberte59
What's the difference between these? I've read the manual but I don't understand how they differ. Is Park Assist part of Distronic plus? If so, does it come standard with Distronic Plus or is it optional?
Parktronic uses sensors in the bumper to sense the distance.

Park Assist is a part of Distronic Plus and in included in the Distronic Plus package. It uses the short range radar sensors and they are behind the bumpers and do not show.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Parktronic and Park Assist are two differing systems which accomplish similar results. Parktronic, using ultrasound sensors mounted in the bumper, detects objects which are in close proximity to the front and rear bumpers. Park Assist, an extension of Distronic Plus, functions similarly but instead uses 24 ghz radar sensors also mounted in the bumper. Since some these 24 ghz radar sensors are already present with Distronic Plus, these two systems are always together. Therefore, if you order Distronic Plus, Park Assist is always included. Makes Distronic Plus a bit more palatable considering the system cost is 2850 but includes the similar functionality of Parktronic which typically costs 1000+. Therefore, you cannot order Parktronic and Distronic Plus since Park Assist already is included with Distronic Plus. An advantage of the Distronic Plus/Park Assist system is that there are no visible "portholes" in the bumper as there are with Parktronic. The radar used with Park Assist is mounted behind the bumper and is therefore not visible as are the Parktronic sensors.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 AM

2020 S63+2014 E550 Cab+2019 E450
Thank You for the explanation! I agree that including Parktronic with the Distronic makes it $650 less expensive than it appears. How does it work in the rear bumper? Are there parktronic holes or does it use a rear radar? Nevada Jack, I see Glauser has your twin up on e-bay.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by roberte59
Thank You for the explanation! I agree that including Parktronic with the Distronic makes it $650 less expensive than it appears. How does it work in the rear bumper? Are there parktronic holes or does it use a rear radar? Nevada Jack, I see Glauser has your twin up on e-bay.
It uses the rear radar...no holes. I had to give up the Distronic Plus when I selected my stock car.

I'll have to check Glauser site...:-)
Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
It uses the rear radar...no holes. I had to give up the Distronic Plus when I selected my stock car.
Now, is it still true that you can order Parktronic for $1,120 without ordering the P2 Package? I've seen this reported a couple places, and am not sure.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 AM

S320 ww21
Hello, well sorry to dig up this topic but i've a question about ParkAssist, does it Beeps and showing on screen to avoid punching barriers like parktronic does?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Thomas Cse
Hello, well sorry to dig up this topic but i've a question about ParkAssist, does it Beeps and showing on screen to avoid punching barriers like parktronic does?
Yes. ParkAssist is an advanced version of Parktronic, that uses the radar sensors located behind the front and rear bumpers to locate a parking sport large enough to accommodate the vehicle. When one is located, and you are traveling at a speed below about 10mpg, you will see a P symbol in the cluster turn blue indicating it found a potential parking location. Put the vehicle in reverse, and press OK on the steering wheel, and Park Assist will activate, showing a graphical representation of how far to turn the steering wheel and how far to allow the car to move, all with you maintaining complete control of the vehicle. It will then tell you to place the car in Drive and show you the angle to steer the car to place it in the parking spot, ideally missing the curb and not too close to the vehicles in front and behind you. This is only useful in parallel parking.

Park Assist is the precursor to Active Park Assist, which steers the vehicle in the parking location for you, as you control the brakes, gear, and accelerator, but it will do all of the steering.
The following users liked this post:
rob.rstevenson (06-29-2019)