S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

LA Times Dan Neil on the new LS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by sprink49
OK...I'm jumping in here for a second. My dad has a LS430. He spends more time driving Corola loaners than the Lexus. Seems like the A/C is always out and the car stranded him at least a dozen times...wouldn't start. Turns out after hearing about this I asked if the Lexus dealer had considered the neutral safety switch. Amazing discovery...bad neutral safety switch!! I'm trying to get him into a E320 CDI or an E500...I think he's ready. At 76 I think my Father has earned the the right to move up to an "Automobile" and quit driving just a "car".

A well deserved upgrade I must say. It's time that your father got to drive a real car.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by Braheem
Not married, Never been.

Just want a car that I can drive for 300K miles without having to go to the dealer.

I realize most poeple on an MBZ S-class forum believe there is that little bit of mistique that makes it worth the extra headaches.

Answer this for me, what am I gaining when I'm driving a C230/320 with beta testing reliability? as opposed to the cheapest Lexus.

Am I still missing something in Mistique that cant be interpreted in a JD power survey?
I don't quite understand why you would want to drive a car to 300k. Even if it continues to run, you'll be re-uphostering the leather seats and re-painting the car at that kind of mileage. You want reliable, buy a Camry or Crown Victoria with cloth seats and forget about luxury.

Last edited by NeverColdCall; 09-10-2006 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Braheem
We still have an LS in the family with ~330K miles, nothing but a timing belt replaced at 180K miles.

others:
LS with 190K SOLD
LS with 140K SOLD (looked so new at 140K, it was shipped to a Judge in Dubai where they dont pay attention to mileage)
GS with 173K
GX with 80K
ES with 80K

none of the above cars have had any service ohter then timing belts.
Prior to buying my first Mercedes I had two Lincoln Town Cars, which I each took to 150k with zero problems, and with me neglecting any maintenance, including way overdue oil changes. (And that's here in Phoenix where it's over 100 degrees for half the year.)

If I were obsessed with reliability I'd go back to one of those cars, not a Lexus. That's why limo companies buy them and routinely take them beyond 500k.

My 2000 S500 that I'm trading for the S550 this week (yes it's finally coming!) has 80k with no problems thus far.

What I find interesting, from JD Power themselves is that MB only has 15% more reported problems then Lexus, so why all this hype? Lexus owners make it sound like MB has 200% more problems, not a mere 15%.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM

Lexus GS 450h
The new LS series is going to rock the luxury sedan world like the original did in 1989. Nuff said.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 AM

08' S550,,,C63!
Originally Posted by NeverColdCall
I don't quite understand why you would want to drive a car to 300k. Even if it continues to run, you'll be re-uphostering the leather seats and re-painting the car at that kind of mileage. You want reliable, buy a Camry or Crown Victoria with cloth seats and forget about luxury.

I totally agree! I am waiting for the LS 460L to dump the LX 470 99' I have which has 125,000 mi! I hate to have cars with so much mi's.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The new LS series is going to rock the luxury sedan world like the original did in 1989. Nuff said.
I must respectfully disagree with you. Even though the LS460 is a technological masterpiece, I believe the inital impact of Lexus on the luxury car market has now passed. No doubt it is a very fine automobile, but it is not a benchmark vehicle. Lexus is marvelous at duplicating and improving what others have initiated. They are good at it, as Toyota has demonstrated to Chevrolet and Ford, but they are not a Mercedes or BMW.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:55 PM

08' S550,,,C63!
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
I must respectfully disagree with you. Even though the LS460 is a technological masterpiece, I believe the inital impact of Lexus on the luxury car market has now passed. No doubt it is a very fine automobile, but it is not a benchmark vehicle. Lexus is marvelous at duplicating and improving what others have initiated. They are good at it, as Toyota has demonstrated to Chevrolet and Ford, but they are not a Mercedes or BMW.
Here is where I disagree with you, BMW IMO has downgraded as year pass by. I bought the 745Li 2004 and it was very disappoing in quality. I also own MB which to me is the best but lexus comes next in looks, quality, and reliablity. I think the lexus is going to be different than the S550 and 745li and that's what I like the dash, the trunk, and so on is totally different. The S550 I almost bought but having own the 745LI for several years I felt it was owning almost the same car because MB used very similair looks from the 745li.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:44 AM

I want to drive them 300K cause I dont live to buy , I buy to live. @ 300K the driver's seat had a crack in the left lumbar support, I think I'll stick with the more luxurious version for a cracked seat at 300K.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 AM

Prior to buying my first Mercedes I had two Lincoln Town Cars, which I each took to 150k with zero problems, and with me neglecting any maintenance, including way overdue oil changes. (And that's here in Phoenix where it's over 100 degrees for half the year.)

If I were obsessed with reliability I'd go back to one of those cars, not a Lexus.
I would take your advice but considering I place some value on my life I dont drive V8 Fords because of thier hydroplaning rear ends, that's if I could get past the sticky leather in the summer along with the smell if glue interior, whining power steering and faulty wind shield wipers.

I'll take a powerstroke tho'
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
You guys on the forum may not like Lexus or the LS460 but it has made a BIG impact on the german luxury makers... for the better. It has forced Mercedes-Benz to improve their quality to stay competitive. The S-class still leads the large luxury sedan segment and probably will for years to come with the V221 on the US market.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
I think the hype with the luxury cars is totally blown out of line. Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW build great cars, but for different reasons.

Lexus-reliability, dealership customer service, and build quality.

Mercedes-styling (by a mile), and engine refinement.

BMW-comfort and handling.

As I said, they all have good qualities and poor qualities. It's just a matter of taste IMO. Arguing who makes the best car is like participating in the Special Olympics though, because no matter what place you finish in, you're still a retard.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Benzdriver9
Arguing who makes the best car is like participating in the Special Olympics though, because no matter what place you finish in, you're still a retard.
After a analogy like that I think you are the "retard" and the Special Olympics participants are "winners." Geez....
Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
actually outside the US, it had just about -no- impact on the luxury sedan world, AFAIK.

drive down the streets of Asia (at least SE Asia) or Europe, and you'll just about never, ever see an LS. the IS, ES, and GS, yes, but buyers outside the US are still not willing to part top dollar for a Lexus, even after all these years.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Other people's cars
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
I will give credit where its due. But tell me where there is something revolutionary on the LS? Its a hodge-poj (SP??) of styling and features from other cars.

I'm not sure Lexus wants tto be revolutionary. They want to copy the Germans and do it better.

And while they lack some of the benefits of a MB, the sales speak for themselves.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Luxury&Exotics
I'm not sure Lexus wants tto be revolutionary. They want to copy the Germans and do it better.

And while they lack some of the benefits of a MB, the sales speak for themselves.
Effective marketing and pricing leads to their successes in sales. They produce a very nice car...Mercedes Benz produce a very nice automobile
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T