S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

first drive: 2007 S550: nice, but not for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
first drive: 2007 S550: nice, but not for me

Introduction
==========
For those of you in the Washington DC area, you may have gone to the Taste of Lexus event over the weekend.

The Cars
==========
I was there and I got to drive the IS350 and the SC430. Both nice cars, but not for me, at least not right now.

My new (upcoming) SLK will do just fine for my road thrills.

So, I got in line near the Lexus LS line, and noticed that they also had a BMW 750i and an S550 as well.

The 2007 S-class
====================
And of course, I got in the S550. Now this is a great ride. Every good thing you heard about this car is true. But there are a few things I didn't like.

The controls are all in weird places, and I don't like the way you shift into Drive. I especially hate the clickety-click for the Park. Those of you who have this car know what I mean. :-)

And the position of the analog clock makes me feel old. Granted, I am at the end of my 20s, but I feel like reading a digital readout instead. (Maybe a digital clock is optional? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Conclusion
==========
So I'm glad I tried out the car, but I'm also not disappointed that it does not fall within my budget. Maybe in 5 years, I will get my first S-class...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by shahedC
The 2007 S-class
====================
And of course, I got in the S550. Now this is a great ride. Every good thing you heard about this car is true. But there are a few things I didn't like.

The controls are all in weird places, and I don't like the way you shift into Drive. I especially hate the clickety-click for the Park. Those of you who have this car know what I mean. :-)

And the position of the analog clock makes me feel old. Granted, I am at the end of my 20s, but I feel like reading a digital readout instead. (Maybe a digital clock is optional? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Conclusion
==========
So I'm glad I tried out the car, but I'm also not disappointed that it does not fall within my budget. Maybe in 5 years, I will get my first S-class...
Your list of dislikes is pretty small...

The "controls" seem to be located fine for me and I don't understand the "clickety-clack" for Park??? And yes you are wrong, there is no digital readout clock option. Maybe in 5 years you will have learned about the finer things in life and be ready for an S Class...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Your list of dislikes is pretty small...
That's true. There's not much to dislike about this car.

The "controls" seem to be located fine for me and I don't understand the "clickety-clack" for Park???
Clickety-clack = the little button you push on the end of the lever to put the car in park. It reminds me of the pens you use where you have to "click" the end in order to use it.

And yes you are wrong, there is no digital readout clock option.
That's what I thought. The analog clock looks very refined and elegant.

Maybe in 5 years you will have learned about the finer things in life and be ready for an S Class...
I hope so too.. I'm getting my second new Benz now, and hope to get at least 2 more in the next 5 years. (Hopefully, they won't meet the same fate as my first one.. :-) )
Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM

S550
That's funny, the gear shift is one of my favorite features of the car and the analog clock I think adds an elegant look to it..

Originally Posted by shahedC
Introduction

Old 10-14-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mmereos
That's funny, the gear shift is one of my favorite features of the car and the analog clock I think adds an elegant look to it..
I agree that the analog clock looks very elegant... I will enjoy my new 2007 SLK or a few years.. I plan to get a BMW 3-series next year too.

Within 3 years, I want to pick up a new S-class, when I can actually afford it, and I will also be ready (mature?) enough for it.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
I personally LOVE the analog clock on mine. It's elegant, and is one of the first things people comment positively on when they ride in my car.

While Lexuses (Lexi?) aren't my favorite, I believe they do give a lot of car for the money. However, I'm absolutely shocked at the cheapo digital clock at the top center of teh dash. I think the 1984 Honda Civic had a similar clock. Couldn't they have dressed it up just a LITTLE bit better?

With that having been said, despite my best efforts, I think my dad is getting an LS460L in about a month. I predict he dumps it in a year's time.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM

yes, it is very elegant indeed. Maybe when I'm in 30s, I will get the next-gen S-class. My budget should be higher then. :-)

As for the Lexus, maybe the auto-parking feature will keep him entertained.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
In 5 years you won't even be 35.............save up for a S600 or S65 either of those will impress you much more.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JLP
In 5 years you won't even be 35.............save up for a S600 or S65 either of those will impress you much more.
Well, I am 29 now, and will be 30 soon... so I will be 35 in just over 5 years!

I hope to get the S600 (or equivalent, i.e. the higher S-class model), but don't care enough to get the AMG.. both the S600 and S65 are V12 Biturbo, right?