S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

picked up S550 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 03:15 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
picked up S550 4matic

Our new S550 4matic finally arrived and was picked up over the weekend. Will post pics ASAP.

Car is Black, Black premium leather
P3
AMG pkg
Rear Seat Pkg
Distronic Pkg
Pano Roof
Wood Wheel
Heated wheel
Rear side sunblinds
i-pod kit
bluetooth puk

Car is simply awesome. The driving manners are excellent. I knew this as I had a demo for a weekend before ordering the car. The multicontour seats are very good and the massage function is divine. The rear seats (4way pkg) are the best rear seats I have personally experienced. Leg room is ample for a 6ft tall person while there is a passenger in the front seat and the rear is reclined.

Night vision is quite useful as there are a lot of unlit roads where we live. Also tried the distronic cruise which was un-nerving at first, but now I wont be able to go back to regular cruise. The blind spot assist works great as I think the mirrors are small for this car. Park assist is very good for parallel parking, but i think you end up spending more time matching the lines than parallel parking your self....also the car is so damn long that it is rare to find a parallel parking space that it can fit into. At 2K for the distronic option, it is a bargain vs. what it used to be. I think this is the first time MB has dropped a option price and added more features.

Only gripes: I think the 07's had two separate grocery hooks in the trunk. The 08's have 1. The umbrella holder on the inside of the trunk is no more

Anywho, thanks to all for keeping me entertained and answering all my questions during my wait

best
Old 12-03-2007 | 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
In addition I believe you don't have the option to adjust the front of the seat for the left and the right leg separately, the grocery hooks and umbrella holder sounds odd, but just right for you as you got all the the other stuff like blind spot detector (a jealousy smiley should be here but I did not find it
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:56 PM

2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
Congrats!!! Have Fun!!!
Old 12-03-2007 | 06:01 PM

'96 S320 , '98 E280 4matic '06 S350L '09 GL450
Congratulations !
Old 12-03-2007 | 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
congrats...looking forward to the pics

What kind of discount did you get
Old 12-03-2007 | 07:21 PM

here are some exterior pics and one of the blind spot assist.
Attached Thumbnails picked up S550 4matic-exterior1.jpg   picked up S550 4matic-exterior-2.jpg   picked up S550 4matic-exterior-3.jpg   picked up S550 4matic-exterior-4.jpg   picked up S550 4matic-blind-spot-assist.jpg  

Old 12-03-2007 | 08:22 PM

BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Really sharp looking and probably the smartest purchase in the S-Class line. Plenty of hp, awd and the unavailable-on-the-S600-AMG-sport-package ! Great acquisition - Enjoy ! Did you get the car in central PA or did you have to shop elsewhere ?
Old 12-03-2007 | 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Really sharp looking and probably the smartest purchase in the S-Class line. Plenty of hp, awd and the unavailable-on-the-S600-AMG-sport-package ! Great acquisition - Enjoy ! Did you get the car in central PA or did you have to shop elsewhere ?
Merci! MBZFAN55

Car was ordered right here in central PA. The dealear could not locate one with all the options so he traded for a car in B2 status. We optioned the car and within a week it was in B3, on the boat & port for a month.

The 4matic was the main criteria here. As that option is only available on the 550, the other models were not out of consideration.

Have owned C, ML, G, GL, SLK and have extensively driven other MB models. The fit and finish on the current S & CL are in a league of their own. With the blinds all drawn the back seat of this car is like a comfortable cocoon!
Old 12-03-2007 | 10:17 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Congrats

I believe the one grocery hook phenom arrived w/?Oct06 builds....my previous '07 CL550 that I obtained in Nov06 only had one grocery hook.

Umbrella holder existed on early MY07 S550s....my '07 CL550 also lacked that feature....

But, in CA (where it's rain-free for 8mos/yr and only rains in wintry mths), during winter, I keep a portable umbrella in the stg compartment under the front passenger seat.....my logic: in any collision, poss that trunk is crumpled and unable to access contents....and wouldn't want umbrella/anything in compartment under driver's seat....as, in emergent deceleration, wouldn't want risk of compartment door self-opening and items launching and poss causing mechanical problems vs use of brake pedal/throttle.....perhaps paranoid thinking....but am a safety nut....

Was car delivered w/all-season tires? Would be curious how effective are all-season tires w/AWD vs Eastern winter conditions....and whether winter tires/wheels are needed for optimal traction/safety, even w/AWD, esp in any emergent evasive maneuver on a slippery fwy.....
Old 12-04-2007 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by WSH
Congrats:

Was car delivered w/all-season tires? Would be curious how effective are all-season tires w/AWD vs Eastern winter conditions....and whether winter tires/wheels are needed for optimal traction/safety, even w/AWD, esp in any emergent evasive maneuver on a slippery fwy.....

I am considering getting winter tires for the car. Although I have heard that the tires that come with the car coupled with AWD are quite decent in everything but the heaviest snow (in which case I am likely not venturing out)

The lack of the second grocery hook sucks.....you could easily hook 8 bags of groceries with the old arrangement. Now, I am more likely to use the rear footwells as I hate when stuff slides around in the trunk.....I assume the deletion was a result of the corporate bean counters
Old 12-04-2007 | 11:34 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by LETO
I am considering getting winter tires for the car. Although I have heard that the tires that come with the car coupled with AWD are quite decent in everything but the heaviest snow (in which case I am likely not venturing out)

The lack of the second grocery hook sucks.....you could easily hook 8 bags of groceries with the old arrangement. Now, I am more likely to use the rear footwells as I hate when stuff slides around in the trunk.....I assume the deletion was a result of the corporate bean counters
My guess is change in hooks is b/c early MY07 S-Class had that fugly wart on trunk lid for sat radio....they since moved sat radio antenna to hidden position...but prob eating up space in trunk lid (e.g., IIRC CLs lack both visible TeleAid and sat radio clutter b/c trunk lid is composite, unlike S-Class)....

BTW, IIRC, both my '07 CL550 and CL600 had a tray under the trunk floor and above the spare tire compartment....this tray had various slots which were also ideal to place a larger umbrella....

Don't know what's worse....listening to bags moving around in rear footwells....or having extra bags in trunk moving around.....perhaps some empty boxes in trunk would be effective in holding groc bags in-place to some extent....
Old 12-04-2007 | 12:56 PM

there are two trays under the floor and above the tire.

Was unaware of the wart for the sat radio. My SLK55 does not have satellite radio and luckily does not have the hump. I remember that before 06 the sat radio thing was not color matched and really fugly