S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

People's income

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
People's income

Okay, let me be clear - I'm not asking this question just for the sake of asking it. I'm asking it because I'm curious to know how like minds think..... how people who share something in common with me (affinity for an S 550 for example) value money. Most of all, I simply want to know whether my taste for an S550/AMG is out of whack with my income.

So, given that we're all anonymous and will probably never run into each other (not that I care either way), how much money do you make?

I'll start with my income: $250,000.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550 4matic LE
this could be one of the most frequently asked questions on the board

ive been here for years though i only have 100+ posts

ill be the first to say....you can find about 20 threads on this same topic, and you do not need to show off your amazing salary.

im no preacher or hating on you, but everyone here who has a benz no matter what kind is privileged.

that said, i am 20 and never disclose my net income. i only give a good enough hint that i drive a RX400h, make with that what you want.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 AM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
To answer your question -- not enough!
Interesting though... there are some multimillionaires (not me) who drive complete pieces of **** and don't care at all about cars.
OTH, there are those of modest means where a car means a lot. Not for status, but for enjoyment, safety, fun and with the S Class this adds a lot to ones life if you're in a car everyday.
Bottom line: if you can pay for one and it's somewhat of a priority, then why not? Of course money may be better spent on long term savings, or other priorities, and hopefully most of us do that too. Yes, if you didn't drop $100 k on a vehicle, that money would double in 7 years and so on. But life's too short and who wants to be the richest guy in the cemetary anyway?
It's funny that some people just can't see their way clear to spend money on a great car and are content with some heap to get them from a to b.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Okay, let me be clear - I'm not asking this question just for the sake of asking it. I'm asking it because I'm curious to know how like minds think..... how people who share something in common with me (affinity for an S 550 for example) value money. Most of all, I simply want to know whether my taste for an S550/AMG is out of whack with my income.

So, given that we're all anonymous and will probably never run into each other (not that I care either way), how much money do you make?

1st wellcome to MBW
2nd I know a multimillionair and he drives a Toyota Prius
3rd I'm a greeter at Wallmart so you know how $$$$$ a make
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by lorinsertuned
this could be one of the most frequently asked questions on the board

ive been here for years though i only have 100+ posts

ill be the first to say....you can find about 20 threads on this same topic, and you do not need to show off your amazing salary.

im no preacher or hating on you, but everyone here who has a benz no matter what kind is privileged.

that said, i am 20 and never disclose my net income. i only give a good enough hint that i drive a RX400h, make with that what you want.
Dude - calm down. As I said, we're all anonymous, so it's not like I suddenly have this picture in my mind of what you look like, so please chill.

Who cares - it's not going to hurt your or my feelings if you tell me you make 40k or 40 mill. I stated my income - believe me, there are a lot of folks (myself included) who want more info and also share some with others who might be looking for the same. That's all.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by carsnob
To answer your question -- not enough!
Interesting though... there are some multimillionaires (not me) who drive complete pieces of **** and don't care at all about cars.
OTH, there are those of modest means where a car means a lot. Not for status, but for enjoyment, safety, fun and with the S Class this adds a lot to ones life if you're in a car everyday.
Bottom line: if you can pay for one and it's somewhat of a priority, then why not? Of course money may be better spent on long term savings, or other priorities, and hopefully most of us do that too. Yes, if you didn't drop $100 k on a vehicle, that money would double in 7 years and so on. But life's too short and who wants to be the richest guy in the cemetary anyway?
It's funny that some people just can't see their way clear to spend money on a great car and are content with some heap to get them from a to b.
Very nice post!

Now let me go talk to my wife
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by tanktube67
1st wellcome to MBW
2nd I know a multimillionair and he drives a Toyota Prius
3rd I'm a greeter at Wallmart so you know how $$$$$ a make
No shame in that! I guess, from the looks of some of the responses here, the S class is affordable across all income levels
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Okay, let me be clear - I'm not asking this question just for the sake of asking it. I'm asking it because I'm curious to know how like minds think..... how people who share something in common with me (affinity for an S 550 for example) value money. Most of all, I simply want to know whether my taste for an S550/AMG is out of whack with my income. So, given that we're all anonymous and will probably never run into each other (not that I care either way), how much money do you make? I'll start with my income: $250,000.
Yes, in principle you could easily buy/lease/ an S550 on that income... but all discussions of this type are meaningless... if you are paying a 90% mortgage on a $4M house, you have been divorced 3 times and have 12 children to support, you are paying your parents medical bills... etc.. etc... well perhaps you can't (or rather should not) afford it... All depends on the balance of your life's priorities and your fiscal judgement... No one here can answer that...

...but I am sure as someone who has achieved a $250K income through what I presume is hard work or other exceptional skill that you know that...

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 02-02-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Yes, in principle you could easily buy/lease/ an S550 on that income... but all discussions of this type are meaningless... if you are paying a 90% mortgage on a $4M house, you have been divorced 3 times and have 12 children to support, you are paying your parents medical bills... etc.. etc... well perhaps you can't (or rather should not) afford it... All depends on the balance of your life's priorities and your fiscal judgement... No one here can answer that...

...but I am sure as someone who has achieved a $250K income through what I presume is hard work or other exceptional skill that you know that...

Chris
I understand that. We all know that everyone has differing financial committments.

But, that's not my point. The point is, based on pure income, what do people who buy/lease S550's typically make? That's all.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
I understand that. We all know that everyone has differing financial committments.

But, that's not my point. The point is, based on pure income, what do people who buy/lease S550's typically make? That's all.
...but given that we both agree (or understand) everyone has differing financial commitments.. why is knowledge of what people earn even relevant beyond prurient interest?

...of course everyone is interested in what others earn - that's human nature... it just does not tell you anything substantive... the only relevant discussion might be a theoretical "what is the minimal amount you would need to earn to responsibly run an S550 assuming you have no other financial commitments?"

Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 612 Scaglietti
I heard people say that you are usually only supposed to spend 10 to 15 percent of the monthly salary on a car. Now, i dont know how many people follow by that, but thats what i have heard.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:08 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Very nice post!

Now let me go talk to my wife
You wife will like the S Class. Mine loved my '04 and didn't want me to sell it since she thought it was "too nice to sell"...
My nephew has your car (750 IL). I drove it and it's very nice. I would strongly suggest that you sell it, get an '07 S class and you'll love it, as will your wife.
I almost got a 760 one day before the new 07 S classes came out, and I'm glad I didn't. Tell you wife that we earn less than you and drive an S class, so you don't have to have more salary to drive one.
Good luck and you won't miss the beemer one bit, including the "i drive" which surprisingly Mercedes has improved on with the intuitive nature and easier touch.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE ON BS, WHY CANT WE GIVE A SIMPLE ANSWER TO A SIMPLE QUESTION. EITHER ANSWER THE QUESTION OR MOVE ON, NO NEED TO GET TESTY. JEEZ. THEY HAVE A SIMILAR BLOG ON LS460 FORUM TOO.
MINE IS OVER 250,000/YR
AND NO U R NOTOUT OF WHACK WITH YOUR INCOME
Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 245 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE ON BS, WHY CANT WE GIVE A SIMPLE ANSWER TO A SIMPLE QUESTION. EITHER ANSWER THE QUESTION OR MOVE ON, NO NEED TO GET TESTY. JEEZ. THEY HAVE A SIMILAR BLOG ON LS460 FORUM TOO.
MINE IS OVER 250,000/YR
AND NO U R NOTOUT OF WHACK WITH YOUR INCOME
Agree...
Mine is also over $250k.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 AM

2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
$107k a year, which is quite amazing considering 10 years ago, I was on food stamps as an unemployed college sophomore.

I'm quite grateful, to say the least.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:02 AM

2010 S600 sold
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
...but given that we both agree (or understand) everyone has differing financial commitments.. why is knowledge of what people earn even relevant beyond prurient interest?

...of course everyone is interested in what others earn - that's human nature... it just does not tell you anything substantive... the only relevant discussion might be a theoretical "what is the minimal amount you would need to earn to responsibly run an S550 assuming you have no other financial commitments?"

Chris
Good point. In addition, it also depends on what part of the country you live. For example, $300,000/yr in Milwaukee is not the same as $300,000 in Los Angeles, simply due to the cost of living factor.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by 06CLK350
I heard people say that you are usually only supposed to spend 10 to 15 percent of the monthly salary on a car. Now, i dont know how many people follow by that, but thats what i have heard.
That's about right.....
Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by usctrojans1
Good point. In addition, it also depends on what part of the country you live. For example, $300,000/yr in Milwaukee is not the same as $300,000 in Los Angeles, simply due to the cost of living factor.
^+1