S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Anyone Driven an S550 4Matic w/ Sports Package in the SNOW??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Anyone Driven an S550 4Matic w/ Sports Package in the SNOW??

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has driven an s550 4matic with the sports package in the snow...the tires are obviously not designed for snow so whats the consensus on this? Would you have to change your wheels and tires for the snow or just the tires, or could you drive this thing in the snow the way it is and is it as good?...i honestly don't feel like the tires that came with my 2008 s550 4matic are all that great for snow...so i can't imagine the sports package 19" rims with sports rated tires being very good in the snow...let me know, thanks.

Last edited by BlackMamba24; 03-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Of course the Sport tires wouldn't be good in the snow. You'll do better than other summer tired, RWD Benzes, but not much. If you live where you get deep snow and you don't want to go through a set of summer tires every winter (cold pavement eats them alive) then I'd say make the switch. A 4Matic Benz with proper snow tires is nearly unstopable in almost any snow situation.

M
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 AM

S550
^^^Thanks for the reply...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Snow Tires they have found for an S550 4Matic with 18" rims...let me know...also, for the people that switch their tires in the winter, do you just switch the tires or do you have separate wheels as well?...thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Look at tirerack.com for good tire information and reviews.

I would recommend a separate set of rims. Preferably smaller rims (don't know if it'll fit) and thinners tires since these will be the best in snowy conditions. The reason for this is really just convenience, getting tires mounted/dismounts and balanced every season is a pain!! Many shops will put on mounted tires for a small fee or even free if you buy from them!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24
^^^Thanks for the reply...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Snow Tires they have found for an S550 4Matic with 18" rims...let me know...also, for the people that switch their tires in the winter, do you just switch the tires or do you have separate wheels as well?...thanks
Dunlop Winter Sport SP3 - I've used this specific tire set for the past 5 years... and I've never had any complaints to offer.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 AM

S550
^^^are those 18" or smaller?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24
^^^are those 18" or smaller?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:02 AM

2008 S550
The sport tires are absolutely horrible in the snow. My dealer put on the Pirelli Sottozero's and stored my sport tires for me until spring. The tires were expensive but I can tell you that with the combination of these tires and the 4-matic, my 550 could climb trees. We just had a major blizzard here (NE Ohio) where we had 2' of snow. I was one of the only cars on the road and was having no problems whatsoever. I've had my '08 S-550 for 7 months and already have 25,000 miles so I needed something I could depend on in all weather conditions.

I'd buy these tires again in a heartbeat. Also, they don't look like traditional snow tires. You wouldn't know they were snow tires by just looking at them. They actually look normal on the car and I don't have to have a spare set of wheels.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
last spring.... I got caught with my AMG / Michelin PS2 tire combos on in a light snow here on the streets of Brooklyn... the 4matic car was useless with all 4 wheels breaking loose... never again! Not sure what tires come on the sport packaged S ... but if they are PS2s ... forgetaboutit!

I put Dunlop SP3Ds on my original 17 inch wheels this year .. http://www.dunloptires.com/catalog/winterSport3D.html
they are unstoppable and with a very controlled stopping manner. of course, we haven't had that much snow in NYC... I think that they can be purchased in 18 inch sizes. They are the latest technology.. the friendly guys at TireRack sold them to me.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
if u get real snow tires, u will be fine even with RWD non-4matic mercedes cars in 99% of the time, unless you're in alaska or something
Old 03-15-2008, 09:56 AM

+1...I think the 4matic is overrated. better off buying AMG and investing in a set of good winter wheels.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Summ perf tires are downright dangerous to use in temps <<45F, even if dry (soft, sticky max perf rubber becomes increasingly hockey puck-like, w/poor trac)....varies by brand, but grip starts declining once temps <50F and steepness of decline of grip "curve" accelerates w/declining temps....AWD/ESP, etc are almost irrelevant w/improper tires....

The issue w/4Matic, even w/std all-season tires, is that many have observed today's all-season tires are compromised for summ perf and winter use such that they're effectively "no season" tires....i.e., not particularly good any time of yr....

4Matic also saddles one w/Airmatic suspension...which many view as rather inferior to ABC in terms of chassis precision/stability/active safety....

Would suspect that for 95%+ of guys in most relatively flat/gently hilly, decently-plowed urban/suburban areas, it makes greatest sense to get whichever S-Class w/ABC and DistPlus (the two key active safety options).....and install proper winter tires/wheels for the 5mos/yr when temps can be <45F.....

I agree....4Matic (or any AWD) is vastly overrated.....lots of other important variables.....proper winter tires/wheels; ABC; how fast/smart is ESP/BrakeAssist (vs a more digital set-up like ABC, as opposed to a more analog setup like Airmatic), etc etc....and would also consider that 4Matic may be a notably less precise/stable/actively safe driving car than ABC-equipped, perf tire-equipped S/CL during the other 7mos/yr....
Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree, But i have been driving on new Michelin Pilot Primacy 20' since Feb (not in snow or ice) the temp has been under 45 for most of my driving without any problems in traction or performance. Even noticed last night how well they performed in a torrid rain storm.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 AM

S550
Thanks for all the responses guys...so what's better, the Dunlop Winter Sport or the Pirelli Sottozero's...

Also, what's the best size of tire to get in this situation...most are saying that its better to just get the tire mounted to new wheels, so if thats the case, then what size is better...and, where should i get wheels from...i don't want to have to spend too much on the wheels, so where can i get nice wheels that aren't ridiculously expensive...if you don't mind could let me know what the specs/size of the tire should be too...i've searched on tirerack and put in the car model and everything, but those tires aren't coming up...when i search directly for the tires mentioned, they do come up, but then im not sure what size works since it didn't come up when i searched it for the car specifically, thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 PM

2008 S550
I just went out and checked mine. They (Pirelli Sottozero's) are mounted on my original AMG 19" sport wheels. The tire sizes on all four wheels are:

255/40 R19

Again, from my experience, they are fabulous. My driveway is a steep incline. Even when my SUV's have some slipping going up the drive, the 550 climbs right up with no problems in ice and snow.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM

S550
^^^Hey Ferromet, thanks for checking those for me...i really appreciate it...

Now, i have 18" wheels rather than 19" so i went to tirerack and checked what they had and put in my specs and they recommend i get 17" tires...so they suggest the 235/55 R17...does that seem right?... so that would entail i get new wheels for these tires...is there 18" sottozero's that would work too, even if i had to get new wheels?...how do i know what size would work for 18" since nothing is coming up that matches this car...
Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
You've had great advice from everyone. I personally like the Pirelli winter tires and they keep improving their designs (hence now the Sotto zeros).
I had an S500 4 matic for 4 years and it was amazing.
To save money and get a bit better traction, I would rx. 18" wheels and snows, then 19" summer tires and rims.
I opted for the S 600 and was worried that I'd miss the 4 matic, especially since I live in Ontario. Still no problem but with rwd, from a dead stop on an unplowed hill, it does hesitate, or I take off the ESP and spin a bit to get going. Like it was said above, all seasons suck and are no seasons.
It's also easier and faster to switch off the rims and enjoy a new set in the nice weather.
...A little late aren't you seeing how it's unlikely to see much more snow now?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM

S550
^^^yeah, a bit late...but i started this topic wondering about the s550 4matic with sports package in snow and then kind of switched the topic to just what tires are best in the snow considering i live in chicago and the tires that came with the s550 4matic suck...so i really wanted to get snow tires for next year...ill be looking for them in the next couple of months so ill be ready for next season...just want to get educated on what to get and what is best...this is the best place to come for that info...thanks a lot guys...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:13 PM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by carsnob
You've had great advice from everyone. I personally like the Pirelli winter tires and they keep improving their designs (hence now the Sotto zeros).
I had an S500 4 matic for 4 years and it was amazing.
To save money and get a bit better traction, I would rx. 18" wheels and snows, then 19" summer tires and rims.
I opted for the S 600 and was worried that I'd miss the 4 matic, especially since I live in Ontario. Still no problem but with rwd, from a dead stop on an unplowed hill, it does hesitate, or I take off the ESP and spin a bit to get going. Like it was said above, all seasons suck and are no seasons.
It's also easier and faster to switch off the rims and enjoy a new set in the nice weather.
...A little late aren't you seeing how it's unlikely to see much more snow now?
So are you saying that you have not seen much difference between the 4matic and rwd in snow? I'd like to know since I live in NJ and most roads are cleaned fairly early. My biggest issue is a long upward climb from my garage to the road and am curious if you think RWD can handle it when unplowed. The road is rarely an issue. My other situation is driving to/from NJ and Mass on major highways. Does RWD handle open highway well when snowing?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM

'96 S320 , '98 E280 4matic '06 S350L '09 GL450
I'd like to respectfully disagree with this statement.

While you won't see much of a difference on relatively flat roads, once you start driving on steep, winding, mountain roads (think Alps/Rockies) you'll be glad to have 4matic.

I had the chance to drive both RWD and 4matic MBs , both with winter tires, on a closed alpine pass during a winter driving course and there is no comparison ! The ESP kept flashing almost all the time and reducing power, while the 4matic just kept going, easy as you please.

I even asked asked the instructors if they would let us stop on the steepest part and try to get going again and they said not with the RWD cars.

Originally Posted by gellie
+1...I think the 4matic is overrated. better off buying AMG and investing in a set of good winter wheels.

Last edited by FlavioB; 03-15-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM

S550
^^^i've had a 2000 S500, a 2004 S500 4Matic and currently a 2008 S500 4Matic and i can definitely say that the tires on the 4Matic's are crap...that said, i think the 4Matic (even with the crappy tires) is better in the snow than the regular S...when i had my 2000 S500, when it would snow it was a bit scary...granted i didn't have snow tires, but when i got the 2004 S500 it was definitely better in the snow, but again i didn't have snow tires, so it wasn't perfect...at times i honestly felt like i was skating out there...now with the new S550 4Matic its very similiar to the other 4Matic i had...its like skating most of the time, but thats because the tires are crap...the actual system is pretty sweet, because i have driven in friends cars who have snow tires on their 4Matics and its like night and day...

On the flip side, i have a friend with a BMW 5 series with snow tires and his car runs well too...also i have a friend with the new CL550 and snow tires and his runs fine as well...

so, basically the conclusion is that if you're in a place that snows, you're much better off getting the 4Matic then not...but unless you get the snow tires, you're probably not going to experience the real capability of the technology...at least thats my opinion...i have to admit, though...i never tried a rear wheel drive S class with snow tires, so i can't make the comparison...i just can't imagine snow tires are going to effectively turn a rear wheel drive car into essentially an AWD car...that seems hard to believe, but i don't know
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I have to say... 4 snows, rear wheel drive, and 2 x50lb bags of sand in the back.. and you can go anywhere!

If I could do it over.. I would much rather have a non 4 matic E500 Wagon or AMG with snows...

on the flip side.. with my Dunlop SP 3D tires.. the car is fantastic in 8in Vermont snow going up a steep back woods road... So I guess you have to gauge your white weather activity level... ( I could make it up that same hill in VT with my Volvo 240 wagons and afore mentioned bags of sand too!)

Tire rack suggested that I get slightly narrower tires for my 17s instead of the standard size... under extreme conditions.. I know that it makes a difference.. but esthetically.. it just doesn't look as good.

You realize.. that way before the hoopla that Audi made about Quattro.. the German companies got by just fine with rear wheel drive in the snowy Alps..(Volvo too)… funny how marketing can program us over the years into thinking that 4 wheel drive is the answer to crappy driving skills… remember the days when you were taught to put the car into neutral coming to a stop sign?? hahaha
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 AM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
I currently have 2 4matics and absent this thread was thinking of a S 4matic. My 2001 wagon with all seasons goes up my driveway in anything less than 12+ inches. The E500 4matic does a bit more slipping and sliding because of the sport wheels but because our roads are usually plowed early we have no problems as long as you get up the drive which is steep and a bit longer than most. I don't really care about sport packages so I was hoping that MB would have ABC and 4matic in the '09 refresh and I'd be a happy guy.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by FlavioB
I'd like to respectfully disagree with this statement.

While you won't see much of a difference on relatively flat roads, once you start driving on steep, winding, mountain roads (think Alps/Rockies) you'll be glad to have 4matic.

I had the chance to drive both RWD and 4matic MBs , both with winter tires, on a closed alpine pass during a winter driving course and there is no comparison ! The ESP kept flashing almost all the time and reducing power, while the 4matic just kept going, easy as you please.

I even asked asked the instructors if they would let us stop on the steepest part and try to get going again and they said not with the RWD cars.
For the vast majority of S owners The 4matic makes little sense vs a good set of winter wheels. Unless of course i was driving in the Swiss Alps, than i would not use my S in those conditions anyway.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
FlavioB and MBNJ; I agree with you both. If you live on a hill, you will be bummed out every time you leave your garage. If your area gets plowed right away, you're usually ok unless you're caught in the snowstorm before plowing. As the others have said, the ESP light keeps going on and you don't have the power or traction.
To me, it's a no brainer between the S 550 and S 4matic and if you live in snow, then it's 4matic all the way.
My "problem" was choosing between the S600 and 4matic and opted for the 600. We had tons of snow here in Toronto, so I wound up with less traction on the hill I live on but was able to accept that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Driven an S550 4Matic w/ Sports Package in the SNOW??