S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Trim pieces coming loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Trim pieces coming loose

Strange thing. Tonight we went out to get a bite to eat and I sat in the rear seat for a change (never get to do that). While observing the interior, I noticed that the trim pieces (both left side and right side) that sit right between the electric rear window shades and the actual glass window itself was loose and dislodged slightly at the front end. I made a halfway attempt to fix this going down the road and gave up. I also noticed that the glass rubs and screeches on the way down. After getting back home, I completely removed the trim divider , inspected it, and while it was out, I noticed the glass still rubs on something sounding almost metallic so it looks like two different problems. It sounds really annoying and you would think it was getting scratched but thankfully it is OK. I replaced the trim pieces and just decided this will be something on my scratch list when I get back to the shop for the oil change. Only problem is, that is 8000 miles from now.

Anyone else noticing this??
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Strange thing. Tonight we went out to get a bite to eat and I sat in the rear seat for a change (never get to do that). While observing the interior, I noticed that the trim pieces (both left side and right side) that sit right between the electric rear window shades and the actual glass window itself was loose and dislodged slightly at the front end. I made a halfway attempt to fix this going down the road and gave up. I also noticed that the glass rubs and screeches on the way down. After getting back home, I completely removed the trim divider , inspected it, and while it was out, I noticed the glass still rubs on something sounding almost metallic so it looks like two different problems. It sounds really annoying and you would think it was getting scratched but thankfully it is OK. I replaced the trim pieces and just decided this will be something on my scratch list when I get back to the shop for the oil change. Only problem is, that is 8000 miles from now.

I have not seen this but am only at 7,100 miles - and I tend to keep the shades up most of the time... Perhaps a hot/cold expansion movement of some kind? In your position, I would take it to the dealer to look at though (if nearby) as it certainly seems anomalous for your mileage and not a quality problem MB would want to have out there.

Chris
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
I have not seen this but am only at 7,100 miles - and I tend to keep the shades up most of the time... Perhaps a hot/cold expansion movement of some kind? In your position, I would take it to the dealer to look at though (if nearby) as it certainly seems anomalous for your mileage and not a quality problem MB would want to have out there.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I had been noticing something rattling back there in the past few days but kind of ignored it. The piece I'm referring to has that piece of felt right in the midway section of it. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I made sure all rubber goods were not folded onto themselves when I put things back together. It's been hot lately and maybe temp. has done some of this but it shouldn't be this way. Not a big deal. Just will get it looked into ASAP. As always, just letting it be known so others may relate (hopefully not).

I'll check it again tomorrow in the heat of the day and see if it goes away.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Interesting feedback, trumpet...much appreciated...

Does your car sit out in sun during most days (perhaps explaining more heat/cold cycles)? Must admit my car sits in a 60-65F garage (at home and office) during most of its life w/me....and perhaps faces ?50F min/?85F max temps during any of my drives....life on SF Peninsula....

Indeed, always difficult to discern how many of glitches of any car are revealed via daily use/disuse/abuse.....my current CL, after some 13K mis of daily use and exuberant wkend driving, has been remarkably glitch-free, only needing new rear tires and oil change at 8-9K mis....will be replacing it w/'09 CL65 in ?Aug....hopefully, 65 will prove to be as exemplary and low-mtce.....
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM

'09 S63 AMG
My car only has 600 mi ...... but I too noticed a loud rubbing/screetching sound when I lowered my rear right window. I think it's from the window tint that I put on a few weeks ago plus the fact that it's near 100 degrees everyday outside. Being west facing I think my garage is at about 120 degrees on the inside during the day... Not sure what those kinds of temps. do to leather....
Old 06-18-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Here lately, it wouldn't surprise me if it has hit 120 degrees inside the cabin during the day as it sits outside while I'm at work. We've had highs near 95+ for 2 or 3 weeks now. But it was even worse last year (105+) and my car never had this problem. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by trumpet1

Very strange.

I had the same screeching problem on my S600. The rear right was so bad that it actually scatched the glass. The dealership covered that under warranty and fixed those screeching noises on the remaining windows as well. Let me know what your service advisor says.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
My car only has 600 mi ...... but I too noticed a loud rubbing/screetching sound when I lowered my rear right window. I think it's from the window tint that I put on a few weeks ago plus the fact that it's near 100 degrees everyday outside. Being west facing I think my garage is at about 120 degrees on the inside during the day... Not sure what those kinds of temps. do to leather....
It sounds like it is a common problem. My car sits in my garage most of the time. It only has 8K miles. And the screeching noise was the worst on the rear right window glass. Surprising - it is the same for you
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Some good news. I ran several up and down cycles throughout the day today of the rear windows and not a peep. Just as quiet as a church mouse. I tried it first thing this morning and at high noon and then again tonight. The trim pieces are well in place also. I have no idea what went wrong or how exactly I fixed it.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Is a church mouse any different than a regular mouse, like... say a field mouse?

Just wondering.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Very strange.

I had the same screeching problem on my S600. The rear right was so bad that it actually scatched the glass. The dealership covered that under warranty and fixed those screeching noises on the remaining windows as well. Let me know what your service advisor says.

Thanks!!!

Again, mine has been symptom free today. What did you have to have replaced (other than the glass)? What was the cause of your problem?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Well it's been a couple of weeks and my windows and window trim are holding together just fine. I don't know what happened. Maybe one of my kids (or more likely one of their friends) pulled up the trim pieces. The screeching sound has ceased as well.