S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 4matic engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
Thumbs down S550 4matic engine rebuild

I have a S550 for just about a year now. The computer always shows that the engine oil level low. I went to the dealer twice to fill it up. On the second visit, the dealer asked me to do some consumption weighting oil test. The test was to empty out the engine oil, weight it and after 1,000 kms weight the engine oil again to see the consumption level. After the 1000 kms, they concluded the consumption is over their expected level and the engine needed to be taken apart and rebuilt. The rebuilt took forever and now just about 1.5 month they told me the work was done. As the guy from dealer is delivering the car back to me I got a call and was told the car broke down half way. Now I am not confident about the vehicle anymore and make the follow assumptions.

1. The car was bad from the start "defective"
2. The guy that was trying to rebuild the engine doesn't know what he was doing.
3. There is something wrong with me!!!

What do you guys think

Thanks

Last edited by mzcloud; 06-21-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by mzcloud
I have a S550 for just about a year now. The computer always shows that the engine oil level low. I went to the dealer twice to fill it up. On the second visit, the dealer asked me to do some consumption weighting oil test. The test was to empty out the engine oil, weight it and after 1,000 kms weight the engine oil again to see the consumption level. After the 1000 kms, they concluded the consumption is over their expected level and the engine needed to be taken apart and rebuilt. The rebuilt took forever and now just about 1.5 month they told me the work was done. As the guy from dealer is delivering the car back to me I got a call and was told the car broke down half way. Now I am not confident about the vehicle anymore and make the follow assumptions.

1. The car was bad from the start "defective"
2. The guy that was trying to rebuild the engine doesn't know what he was doing.
3. There is something wrong with me!!!

What do you guys think

Thanks

First off, if there was something wrong with the engine, they should have replaced the engine with a new crate engine as per Mercedes standards. Your dealer shafted you and Mercedes.

Demand they buy the car back and replace with a new one at this point. I am truly appalled at how this dealer has treated you. What dealer is this, so other members here don't buy from them or service with them.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 AM

06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
First off, if there was something wrong with the engine, they should have replaced the engine with a new crate engine as per Mercedes standards. Your dealer shafted you and Mercedes.

Demand they buy the car back and replace with a new one at this point. I am truly appalled at how this dealer has treated you. What dealer is this, so other members here don't buy from them or service with them.
It is in Toronto, so I guess you guys won't be buying any cars up here. They even asked for my permission twice to test my car for the weekend by one of the service guys. I figured if there is no problems, they shouldn't be testing it that much. I asked them who will cover the insurance when the service guys test it, they told me mine. I turn it down right away. I am not risking my insurance for someone else.

I just told the salesperson today I don't feel comfortable driving the car and I don't want it anymore. Don't want to risk it breaking down on the highway or something. Just unsafe!!!! Since its on lease for 3 years, I guess they should give me another one...
Old 06-21-2008, 12:49 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Not sure what the lemon laws are in Canada (suspect they are less consumer-friendly vs lemon law protec in US....there are advantages to US having world's wealthiest, contingency-based lawyers hassling deep-pocketed, but often dim-witted/inept, cos.)....

Would guess your dealer is incompetent....IIRC, Toronto has little competition amongst MB dealers, so custs are a captive audience....major US mkts like SF/LA each have ?>10 MB dealers, but only 1-2 dealers in each mkt are barely competent....

Wouldn't want any car after a dealer (no matter how allegedly competent) performed an engine transplant.....even well-regarded dealers in competitive mkts struggle to do much more than deliv car w/proper prep (no front plate, proper tire P's, car w/o alignment screwed up during shipping, etc)....and most allegedly competent dealers struggle to even do an oil change or replace tires w/o mishaps....
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 AM

2005 S500
Originally Posted by mzcloud
It is in Toronto, so I guess you guys won't be buying any cars up here. They even asked for my permission twice to test my car for the weekend by one of the service guys. I figured if there is no problems, they shouldn't be testing it that much. I asked them who will cover the insurance when the service guys test it, they told me mine. I turn it down right away. I am not risking my insurance for someone else.

I just told the salesperson today I don't feel comfortable driving the car and I don't want it anymore. Don't want to risk it breaking down on the highway or something. Just unsafe!!!! Since its on lease for 3 years, I guess they should give me another one...
Hey, I live in toronto too, im going to purchase an S550 next month, can you tell me what dealership your having problems with, so I can make sure i dont have any problems

Thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Any lawyers on this forum??? This case would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM

06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
Originally Posted by BallinIsMyHobby
Hey, I live in toronto too, im going to purchase an S550 next month, can you tell me what dealership your having problems with, so I can make sure i dont have any problems

Thanks
I currently go to the downtown dealership. In the GTA, there is basically no competition among the dealers because they are all owned by MB Canada at the corporate level. Although of this incident, I will still say they are one of the better dealers in terms of service overall, at least the sales that sold me the car provided me excellent service. If they waste any more of my time not swapping me a new S550, I would have to take my word back on that.

Thornhill is the worst. My friend's SLK55 had problems with transmission from 1st to 2nd gear for so long and they just wouldn't replace it. When the lease ended, he returned it right away, good luck to the 2nd owner. I have dealt with them as well, when I took the S550 there to fill up some engine oil the first time. When I got home I noticed a metal rod sticking out my hood. I popped my hood and noticed they didn't even put the rod back in hole where they pour in the engine oil.

As for sales, it all depends on the sales person and how much he/she is willing to follow up on your purchase. The top sales in Canada past year Gary at downtown is really good. Highly recommended. Doesn't push at all, I hate pushy sales and most of them lie anyways.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Even in US, despite its litigation-prone reputation, know at least 4-5 car nut colleagues who've had their new 65s bought back for motor-specific lemon law issues....in each case, no need of lawyers or even threat of litig....each of these guys is a major, repeat MB cust (each buys at least 3-4 $150K+ MBs/yr) at one of the best dealers in major mkts like SF/BH/Greenwich...each typically just contacts their usual, exemplary salesman, who functions as their point man for any svc-related issues, as he's most incented to maintain the long-term, repeat buying relationship....and these types of profitable custs tend to have a higher opportunity cost of time than a median MB cust....

Most high-end dealers of any brand tend to be inept....but my sense is best MB dealers in SF/LA/NYC and best salesmen at each of these dealers tend to know how to build long-term relationships w/buyers....and most sophisticated buyers know any product, no matter cost, has a lemon rate....the real question is how seamlessly the dealer/salesman manages process to preserve repeat relationships....
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 AM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Last year, when I had my GL450, the same thing happened. We got tons of oil messages and the dealer performed the exact same test as yours. They determined that ours needed an engine replacement, and they replaced it right away.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Exactly, if they knew the problem was the same as sme636500's they should have replaced the engine and sent it to MBZ so they can investigate why this happened (like the dealer is supposed to do). Clearly, your dealer did not listen to Daimler Benz, and wanted to shaft them and YOU. Get a lawyer and sue the **** out of them.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM

06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
I know, they should of.. now its causing them more trouble. I just called the sales yesterday and he said I should hear something back sometime week. He has reported to the Canada head office last week and will involve some senior boys in this matter. Anyways guess I'll give it one more week.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Exactly, if they knew the problem was the same as sme636500's they should have replaced the engine and sent it to MBZ so they can investigate why this happened (like the dealer is supposed to do). Clearly, your dealer did not listen to Daimler Benz, and wanted to shaft them and YOU. Get a lawyer and sue the **** out of them.
First off they would not have done the work in house if they were doing it against MB's request. Secondly why sue when its almost a sure thing that he can negotiate to have the vehicle replaced at no charge. A suit will only drag out for a period of time and create a situation where he cannot talk to MB to resove the issue. Its ideas like this from people like you that create havoc in our court system and cost all tax payers and car buyers big problems. Grow up!! A suit is the last resort.