S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

maintance charger for battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
maintance charger for battery

Hello,

I just bought the trickle charger from Mercedes dealer.

Since the consumer battery is in the back, can't located it, one of the tech told me that I can connect the positive clamp to the tall positive in the distribution box right beside starter battery in the engine room.
Of course black clamp to the groud. I just did that and it seem working but the charger is getting really hot. no fire or melting but it's hot.

Please give me advise if I did wrong...

or any other choices?

I am leaving tommorow for long trip.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by newyorker
Hello,

I just bought the trickle charger from Mercedes dealer.

Since the consumer battery is in the back, can't located it, one of the tech told me that I can connect the positive clamp to the tall positive in the distribution box right beside starter battery in the engine room.
Of course black clamp to the groud. I just did that and it seem working but the charger is getting really hot. no fire or melting but it's hot.

Please give me advise if I did wrong...

or any other choices?

I am leaving tommorow for long trip.
The correct point for the rear battery is the tall pin on the right in the attached photo.

Are you sure your car was "sleeping well" when you tried the trickle charger? I guess you would have to have the bonnet closed too, I'm not sure how the alarm would behave otherwise and in any case it takes some time for the car before the current drain drops (5 to 15 minutes).
Attached Thumbnails maintance charger for battery-img_0386_2.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 AM

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The correct point for the rear battery is the tall pin on the right in the attached photo.

Are you sure your car was "sleeping well" when you tried the trickle charger? I guess you would have to have the bonnet closed too, I'm not sure how the alarm would behave otherwise and in any case it takes some time for the car before the current drain drops (5 to 15 minutes).
Thanks for the info,,,,

I asked tech in the two different mercedes dealer here in NY, Both told me same answer as you. I connected red clamp to the tall pin on the right in the picture and black to the ground. First few hours, it was charging then now it is maintance charging mode. The charger is not as hot as charging mode.
I guess the charger is working very hard at the first time to full charge then just maintain the batter after that.

Anyway, Thanks again for the info,,,,Acutally I saw your post in other MB site but one of the member put his red clamp to wrong on and posted picture, so I was confused....

OH~ the alarm worked with hood open. I can't close it. it will damage the electirc line.. and the manual say keep it open.
Anyway, I parked in my garage in my house, so it's safe.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.

Had the same question as Newyorker. ( I don't use my car often during winter months.) Thank you Diesel Benz!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 04S430
Had the same question as Newyorker. ( I don't use my car often during winter months.) Thank you Diesel Benz!
Seems you have PM disabled, I'll say thanks to you here! I quite often get frustrating "feedback", probably for a good reason when I lose a bit my temper on a matter that should just be ignored instead of trying to protect my view. But if one out of a hundred posts helps someone else at the forum, it gives the strength to attempt another 99. If someone replies with a spontaneous "thanks", one can easily survive 999 attempts to help without success.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:04 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Seems you have PM disabled, I'll say thanks to you here! I quite often get frustrating "feedback", probably for a good reason when I lose a bit my temper on a matter that should just be ignored instead of trying to protect my view. But if one out of a hundred posts helps someone else at the forum, it gives the strength to attempt another 99. If someone replies with a spontaneous "thanks", one can easily survive 999 attempts to help without success.
Happy I made your day!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM

s550
If it is going to sit in the winter why not just pull the neg battery lead off. The thought that you should start it every now and then makes no sense.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
There is a new charger out from CTEK (who, I believe, OEM's the Mercedes charger) called the US25000 that can deliver, safely, up to 25 amps to an in place battery. Check out this URL...

http://www.battery-rechargeable-char...ulti-us-25000/

The question is would there be any downside to using this charger on a 2007 S550? Perhaps a fuse issue in the path from the front pin to the battery?

Comments?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JosanK
There is a new charger out from CTEK (who, I believe, OEM's the Mercedes charger) called the US25000 that can deliver, safely, up to 25 amps to an in place battery. Check out this URL...

The question is would there be any downside to using this charger on a 2007 S550? Perhaps a fuse issue in the path from the front pin to the battery?

Comments?
Is this a new CTEK model? I've had it for a couple of years now. Perhaps it is the US model that is new?

Anyway, this is what I use for charging the car when I want to play with the diagnosis tools on it (on the 221, 212 and the 204, plus visiting cars).

The pole at the engine bay can handle much higher currents than 25 A. But if the purpose is to use the charger as a maintenance charger when the car is parked for a long time, I cannot see any benefits from a 25 A model over the small 4 to 7 A model from CTEK. The big one would just consume some power because of the fan inside of it running.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
Thanks for the info. I think that the 25000 is fairly new in the US.

Because of construction I have limited garage time. My goal is to "top off" the charge within a couple of hours every week. Also have similar issues for my SL55 and my wife's Acura (they all drain pretty fast). We both travel a lot so the dead battery issue has escalated.

I rigged up a female socket on the 2003 SL55 some years ago (cigarette lighter style). There is a 7 amp fuse in the path that I'll have to remove/enhance to handle the amps from this charger. The wires for this type of plug may not be able to handle 25 amps. May have to redo this.

Is this a new CTEK model? I've had it for a couple of years now. Perhaps it is the US model that is new?

Anyway, this is what I use for charging the car when I want to play with the diagnosis tools on it (on the 221, 212 and the 204, plus visiting cars).

The pole at the engine bay can handle much higher currents than 25 A. But if the purpose is to use the charger as a maintenance charger when the car is parked for a long time, I cannot see any benefits from a 25 A model over the small 4 to 7 A model from CTEK. The big one would just consume some power because of the fan inside of it running.

Last edited by JosanK; 08-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.