S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

American Spec S class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 - 2008
American Spec S class

I am thinking of buying s550 from US and ship it to the middle east (Dubai). Many people told me that American Spec need a lot of modifications because the climate in Dubai is hot and humid. Will American Spec mercedes affected by hot climate or not?

Regards
Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 AM

N/A
Hi! I live in Dubai and also considered this option. The thing that refrained me from importing a car from the US is that the warranty won't be transferable to the local dealerships here in Dubai. But if you don't care about warranty, you can get some great deals from the US.

As for needing modifications for the hot weather in Dubai, I am not sure because there are hot weather areas in the US too such as Texas and California. Therefore, the US spec cars must already be well-built for the hot weather there too.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM

S350 - 2008
Originally Posted by Kain
Hi! I live in Dubai and also considered this option. The thing that refrained me from importing a car from the US is that the warranty won't be transferable to the local dealerships here in Dubai. But if you don't care about warranty, you can get some great deals from the US.

As for needing modifications for the hot weather in Dubai, I am not sure because there are hot weather areas in the US too such as Texas and California. Therefore, the US spec cars must already be well-built for the hot weather there too.
The warranty is not really worth. I have 2008 S350 and regular maintenance cost AED 3000 - 5000 ($820 - $1,360) and the car is under warranty!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:49 PM

If any modifications are REQUIRED, they would only include the ones stipulated by your local laws. For example, if say Dubai requires red side markers instead of the yellow ones on US cars or if Dubai prohibits day-time running lights...

These modification regarding the car's safety MUST be performed if your local laws say so. I'm not familiar with Dubai laws, but say for Canada, we must perform these modifications in Canada at an authorized MB service center before we can register the car.

Any additional modifications like the air-conditioning doesn't HAVE to be performed but you may wish to do so if you want. I haven't heard of any spec differences in AC in US and other countries but it is possible. I know that BMW used to do this with intercoolers to prevent overheating of their turbo-charged cars. This may or may not apply to Mercedes.

If you're seriously considering importing a car into Dubai, you need to contact a local dealer anyways to do the modifications required by law (if any) and help you register the car. You can easily call them to see what the AC part number is on GCC cars and then call a dealer in the US to see if the part is the same. You probably should also contact dealers in Dubai or insurance companies to see how much third-party warranty is gonna cost.

I did a little research on importing cars into Canada a while ago and I decided it's simply not worth the trouble for the savings. There is a reason why many imports/exports are on super high-end cars like Ferraris, Lambos, RR... In these cars, the savings could potentially be higher than the added expenses. There also a lot business in importing/exporting really cheap used cars, never figured out why though.

Also, when I called the dealers in the US, many were not willing to sell a car for export. And if they were willing to sell, they were a lot less willing to discount. Another reason why many only export cars already registered in the US, not new ones. Ie. if you also live in the States and can buy and register a car there, then export to Dubai.

There are companies that can do all of the above for you, but at a hefty fee of course.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM

2011 BMW X5d, 2011 Nissan Leaf and Kubota L39 Tractor!
I think it comes down to the following:

- Ecomomics, is the savings enough to justify the process?
- You'd have to buy a nearly new car as US dealers won't sell one off the showroom floor for export.
- Value (or not) of the warranty

I don't know anything about the motor vehicle laws in the Mid East, but it's relatively easy to import a US spec Mercedes or BMW into Europe. It's much harder to go the other way. I doubt there is any difference in the climate control systems We get pretty hot summers in Arizona and parts of California.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM

S350 - 2008
Originally Posted by kevine310
If any modifications are REQUIRED, they would only include the ones stipulated by your local laws. For example, if say Dubai requires red side markers instead of the yellow ones on US cars or if Dubai prohibits day-time running lights...

These modification regarding the car's safety MUST be performed if your local laws say so. I'm not familiar with Dubai laws, but say for Canada, we must perform these modifications in Canada at an authorized MB service center before we can register the car.

Any additional modifications like the air-conditioning doesn't HAVE to be performed but you may wish to do so if you want. I haven't heard of any spec differences in AC in US and other countries but it is possible. I know that BMW used to do this with intercoolers to prevent overheating of their turbo-charged cars. This may or may not apply to Mercedes.

If you're seriously considering importing a car into Dubai, you need to contact a local dealer anyways to do the modifications required by law (if any) and help you register the car. You can easily call them to see what the AC part number is on GCC cars and then call a dealer in the US to see if the part is the same. You probably should also contact dealers in Dubai or insurance companies to see how much third-party warranty is gonna cost.

I did a little research on importing cars into Canada a while ago and I decided it's simply not worth the trouble for the savings. There is a reason why many imports/exports are on super high-end cars like Ferraris, Lambos, RR... In these cars, the savings could potentially be higher than the added expenses. There also a lot business in importing/exporting really cheap used cars, never figured out why though.

Also, when I called the dealers in the US, many were not willing to sell a car for export. And if they were willing to sell, they were a lot less willing to discount. Another reason why many only export cars already registered in the US, not new ones. Ie. if you also live in the States and can buy and register a car there, then export to Dubai.

There are companies that can do all of the above for you, but at a hefty fee of course.
There are no requirements expect the car should pass traffic department test (Chassis, CO2 emission, ..etc) & the steering wheel should be in the left side. But all 8V & 12V S class in Dubai have intercooler.

purchasing a S550 used for one year from USA would be much cheaper than buying a new S350 in Dubai by at least $35K up to $50K. The custom is 5% of the car price.

AND I must thank you because you remind me about very important factor, which is spare parts. it seem that there are variations between spare parts that for german spec & Dubai spec, But I will try to figure out if american spec have the same issues.

Last all non gcc cars have low resale value.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 AM

S350 - 2008
Originally Posted by nkole
I think it comes down to the following:

- Ecomomics, is the savings enough to justify the process?
- You'd have to buy a nearly new car as US dealers won't sell one off the showroom floor for export.
- Value (or not) of the warranty
The answer to your questions
- The saving would be massive esspecially for AMG mercedes because the new s65 is worth more than $300k!
- I am not sure about US dealer, but I will try.
- Warranty? In dubai you will need the warranty for any mulfunction problem in the engine or gear box. and that is really rare in mercedes car expect for the old models.

Originally Posted by nkole
I don't know anything about the motor vehicle laws in the Mid East, but it's relatively easy to import a US spec Mercedes or BMW into Europe. It's much harder to go the other way. I doubt there is any difference in the climate control systems We get pretty hot summers in Arizona and parts of California.
It is easy to ship any car to dubai. expect for old cars that manufactured before 1998.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
One major concern for you. When I purchased my CL550 new from the dealer, I had to sign an agreement (from MBUSA, not the dealer) that the car would not be exported from the US for at least one year. I don't know if this policy is still in force, but if it is then you are out of luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 PM

07 S550, Passat 2000
The car shoud be one year old in order to be exported
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM

2011 BMW X5d, 2011 Nissan Leaf and Kubota L39 Tractor!
I have had to sign a similar document everytime I've bought a benz. Seems like it would be impossible to enforce though. How am I to know if someone I sell to exports the car.