S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

FS: Navteq NAVIGATION DVD V 7.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
FS: Navteq NAVIGATION DVD V 7.0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...#ht_791wt_1360
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Its illegal to install this in multiple vehicles aka software piracy not to mention it might not even work if multiple licenses are detected being used.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Its illegal to install this in multiple vehicles aka software piracy not to mention it might not even work if multiple licenses are detected being used.
After reading this forum I realized that everybody does it. Please reference the thread where one person bought the disk and rented out to many people. Is that legal? Does it answer your question about multiple licenses?
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...w-s-class.html

I bought this dvd for 250+tax. I dont need it anymore. Someone can save some money on this.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
anyone want to split the costs.. Im ready to pay half
Old 05-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Relax there JonMBZ; Get your facts together before posting incorrect information.

First.
The dealers can use a single DVD on hundreds of cars for updates and software patches. It's a part/tool that's shared in the shop. They don't buy a packaged DVD set for every customer when needed. What IS illegal is making 100 copies of the DVD and then selling the copies. THAT is piracy. Selling the original DVD is perfectly legal unless you agree to a license agreement that explicitly states it can only be used on a unique VIN (clearly not the case here). IF the software has a unique license key, selling THAT would be illegal. In this case, it's a software update and Mercedes charges a hefty premium for convenience. It should be downloadable from their website for free, but that'll never happen for obvious liability/warranty reasons.

Second.
The software does not have a license key that's unique per vehicle. There is no automated mechanism to detect and validate software license keys in a Mercedes. This isn't a Microsoft PC. The DVD is read only and there's no way the DVD can detect how many times it's been used.

Third.
Even if it was illegal, WHO CARES!? I mean seriously, is anybody loosing sleep over this? Give me a break.

I don't mean to be brash, but someone uniformed may read your post and believe it's false content.

Kind regards

PS:
2007_S550_AMG,
Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by ~CL500~; 05-13-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

07 S550
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Relax there JonMBZ; Get your facts together before posting incorrect information.

First.
The dealers can use a single DVD on hundreds of cars for updates and software patches. It's a part/tool that's shared in the shop. They don't buy a packaged DVD set for every customer when needed. What IS illegal is making 100 copies of the DVD and then selling the copies. THAT is piracy. Selling the original DVD is perfectly legal unless you agree to a license agreement that explicitly states it can only be used on a unique VIN (clearly not the case here). IF the software has a unique license key, selling THAT would be illegal. In this case, it's a software update and Mercedes charges a hefty premium for convenience. It should be downloadable from their website for free, but that'll never happen for obvious liability/warranty reasons.

Second.
The software does not have a license key that's unique per vehicle. There is no automated mechanism to detect and validate software license keys in a Mercedes. This isn't a Microsoft PC. The DVD is read only and there's no way the DVD can detect how many times it's been used.

Third.
Even if it was illegal, WHO CARES!? I mean seriously, is anybody loosing sleep over this? Give me a break.

I don't mean to be brash, but someone uniformed may read your post and believe it's false content.

Kind regards

PS:
2007_S550_AMG,
Good luck with the sale.
DITTO.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
It's a navigation update and it costs whoever wants to update it. Were are not talking about a software update its the maps and they are owned by navteq and they charge for an update. If the original purchaser decided they didn't want it and removed it from the vehicle than it wouldn't be a problem but you are not a reseller of this product and have no right to sell it again if it's still installed on the previous vehilcle. Contact navteq and what they think about it. Who cares ? this forum is against software piracy so I am guessing the owners of this site are. " Loosing" is also spelled "Losing" Fyi
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
It's a navigation update and it costs whoever wants to update it. Were are not talking about a software update its the maps and they are owned by navteq and they charge for an update. If the original purchaser decided they didn't want it and removed it from the vehicle than it wouldn't be a problem but you are not a reseller of this product and have no right to sell it again if it's still installed on the previous vehilcle. Contact navteq and what they think about it. Who cares ? this forum is against software piracy so I am guessing the owners of this site are. " Loosing" is also spelled "Losing" Fyi
JonMBZ,
You're entitled to your opinion. I made my valid and legally factual point to which you have no legitimate response to but to question the integrity of my spelling. Contacting Navteq and speaking with a customer support representative fresh out of high school will not prove anything. Now, not to fully indulge in this nonsense, but "vehilcle" is actually spelled "vehicle". If you're gonna call someone out for spelling, make sure you hold yourself to the same standard.

The intent of my initial post was genuine and strictly to point out the misconceptions. If the legality of 2007_S550_AMG's post was eating you up that much, you should have sent him a PM instead of publicly accusing him of an illegal sale. Your actions would dissuade potential buyers for 2007_S550_AMG; Furthermore, it lacked forum etiquette and common courtesy. The dude was trying to sell something. Just let him go about his business without making it hard is what I'm trying to say.

Lets not make this into a pissing match and hijack the thread. I'm not one to provide entertainment for everyone here. Allow me to reiterate, this is just harmless banter between forum members. My apologies if I got under your skin; that was honestly not my intent man.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM

07 S550
I think you should learn how to spell before ripping other people.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
There is a difference in a spelling error and a type-o isn't there? The reason I posted was because I have seen people selling these before with Garmin software and they do have a method of detection that why I posted it in the first place. I didn't want someone to purchase this and end up with a non-working update especially with someone with a post count of 6! I was just looking out for other people and I was criticized about it and told to get my facts straight. It's pretty straight forward with nav updates read the EULA it's in the inside jacket.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 PM

2007 S550
I only have one question. Why did you not say anything to the person who bought this DVD and rented it out to 10+ people? Please read this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-class-w221/272396-navigation-update-new-s-class.html How legal is that??? I am selling the original DVD and it will work since the other member did it. This DVD is just sitting in my office and I have no use for it. This is not GARMIN so please know your facts before you say something. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I never seen it that's why I didn't say anything. My facts are right and I said MIGHT I never said it was for sure or a fact so please check on your reading comprehension. Just because everyone is renting out navteqs software doesn't mean it's OK. What you do or if people do decide to buy it from you is their choice. I am just passing the information on to them which is my decision and I will stand by it. Just because you don't like what I am saying and people don't want to believe or are in denial that it is wrong doesn't mean my facts are not straight.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I thought he was selling the original DVD and not a copy?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM

2007 S550
This is the original DVD and not a copy.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Here we go again!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM

07 S550
Go back to law school. Where was that? Mexico. LOL.