S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Anyone considering Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Lightbulb Anyone considering Hybrid?

I drove one at my dealership last weekend. While the mileage rating is 19/26, the car is a mild hybrid, and rarely is powered by electric alone. The hybrid power display pales in comparison to a Ford or Toyota hybrid.

I think that the mileage benefits are obtained by using the 3.5 V6 engine, and having the engine shut off upon stopping. The hybrid probably has ample power, but I didn't give it much throttle during my test drive. I was coasting and charging the battery. Also, the S400s arriving at my dealership are low on options. I prefer the look of the sport package.

Personally, I don't know that I would want a hybrid S-class. I think that for $90,000+, one would want the power of the V8. However, I do like the idea of lower emissions. Is anyone else considering one?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
I drove one at my dealership last weekend. While the mileage rating is 19/26, the car is a mild hybrid, and rarely is powered by electric alone. The hybrid power display pales in comparison to a Ford or Toyota hybrid.

I think that the mileage benefits are obtained by using the 3.5 V6 engine, and having the engine shut off upon stopping. The hybrid probably has ample power, but I didn't give it much throttle during my test drive. I was coasting and charging the battery. Also, the S400s arriving at my dealership are low on options. I prefer the look of the sport package.

Personally, I don't know that I would want a hybrid S-class. I think that for $90,000+, one would want the power of the V8. However, I do like the idea of lower emissions. Is anyone else considering one?
its too new now. maybe in a couple of years.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
No. I'm waiting for a V20.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car
I currently drive an S350 with the said V6 3.5L engine, I must say the mileage I get with this car is very positively surprising. Yes it's slow and very low on power, but it's very capable for city driving which is 99% of what I do anyway. I think with the hybrid it should help even more with the mileage.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Need at least S65-caliber hp/tq and chassis engineering

Hybrids are fairly irrelevant in US except for communist wannabes who can't drive; even S550 is underpowered and underbraked for US driving

US is land of world's cheapest cars and fuel...and some of most dangerous urban fwys in world w/many inept, distracted drivers armed with 10yo+, 6000lb SUVs that lack brakes/handling

If truly want to save bucks and minimize carbon footprint (post-collision surgeries and disabilities presumably cost money and add to one's "emissions"), need to drive car w/maximal active and passive safety

Need AMG-calibrated brakes, perf tires, ABC, ESP, etc etc to maximize active safety
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
THis is getting old now...

Originally Posted by WSH

Hybrids are fairly irrelevant in US except for communist wannabes who can't drive; even S550 is underpowered and underbraked for US driving

US is land of world's cheapest cars and fuel...and some of most dangerous urban fwys in world w/many inept, distracted drivers armed with 10yo+, 6000lb SUVs that lack brakes/handling

If truly want to save bucks and minimize carbon footprint (post-collision surgeries and disabilities presumably cost money and add to one's "emissions"), need to drive car w/maximal active and passive safety

Need AMG-calibrated brakes, perf tires, ABC, ESP, etc etc to maximize active safety
With clowns like you, I am thinking of just not logging onto this forum anymore. You spoil everything. Just STFU and let ppl enjoy.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by WSH

Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by WSH

Sadly delusional
Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by WSH

1. really? every s-class needs this? an s-class stuck in any heavy city traffic NEEDS 604hp? and see point number 5....

2. although i don't like hybrids much myself, they are not irrelevant in the US. the US has a lot of congested cities with continuous stop-and-go traffic--the perfect place for hybrids. and an s550 is underpowered? a 0-60 time of around 5.5 seconds for a flagship sedan has an underpowered engine? i guess so... i mean the average camry and corolla go so much faster and have such powerful engines.... oh wait....

3. the US is not the land of cheapest fuel. that honour belongs to the middle east and venenzuela. and, in a land full of 6000lb suvs that lack brakes and handling, your solution is to want MORE power to your s-class? what for? so you can ram those suvs faster?

4. wow... i can't even begin to point out the flaws on this one. if you REALLY want to save bucks and minimize carboon footprint, drive a small car. get a hyundai accent. or better yet, ride a bike. arming a person with a 600-hp v12 is not exactly a way of "maximing active and passive safety"

5. so, your solution to maximize safety is to get an amg-calibrated car. ok... but amg-calibrated cars also come with amg-calibrated engines--particularly the s65. so your "solution" in maximizing active safety is for a land of 600-hp luxo-barges? does that compute? you make it seem like hybrids are unsafe vehicles. i guess them priuses and other such hybrids are quiet, rolling deathtraps. how about this: maximize active safety by knowing how to properly drive--regardless of what car you drive.
ok... i've been keeping quiet about his posts for a long time since i'm a glk user and not an s-class user, but....

and back on topic, i would much rather buy a regular s350 or an s-class diesel over the hybrid one.... somehow, i doubt the fuel economy gains on the hybrid can justify is cost over a regular s350. but then again, neither the regular s350 nor the diesel version is available in canada or US. thankfully, us canadians get the s450....

Last edited by Ryan A.; 09-03-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
As a Lexus Hybrid owner, the one thing I enjoy about Hybrids, is that you can sit in the car and enjoy the A/C as well as all the electronics with the *ICE completely off. It does seem pointless to have a big V8 idling while waiting to pick the wife/kids up on a hot 100 degree day...

If I were to get an S400 I would definitely de-badge it...

ICE -- internal combustion engine.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by WSH

What bay area dealer do you go to?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by WSH

Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by trumpet1
No. I'm waiting for a V20.
Same here!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by WSH

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 AM

2009 smart Class
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Anyone considering Hybrid?
Um....no.

P.S. anyone know where to find the "smart Class" Thread?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Hybrid

I currently have a Ford Fusion Hybrid, and it truly gets great mileage--even in the summer with the AC running. In the cooler months, I get 41mpg in the city and now I am getting 36 mpg.

The Ford is more fun to drive than my former Camry Hybrid. However, I miss a V8. There is always a trade-off.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Originally Posted by WSH

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Why do certain people constantly hound WSH? As a matter of fact, he/she has me considering a v12 when I replace my current s550 4matic, with their enthusium about the s65. Please respect others and STOP using profanity towards persons expressing their views, save the f bombs for the few bigoted morons who exist on these forums.

Last edited by 13pauls; 09-04-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by WSH

I need S65 too!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
The point is, if you want something you can always find a reason why it is good or bad. No matter how good or bad it actually is.

If I'd want to sell you all hybrids, I could do it. The same would be with diesel and petrol engines no matter what sizes. The same with AMG. Always easy finding great reasons why.

Btw. hybrids are not good for your health! It is a fact. Being exposed to electric flows is not safe, no matter what the manufacturer and other people say.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
The fact I don't have a CL600/CL65 or S600/S65 in my garage is simply it costs too much for me at the moment - cannot afford it. If I could, I'd definitely buy them just because I'm a big fan of cars and these two models are great.

If I would like to minimize my footprint, I'd never buy a hybrid. You can buy BMW 320d with 80mpg.
Hybrids are only about marketing and showing the manufacturer "can do it too". Nothing else.

Read this:

As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet. When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

Not mentioning the difference in real hybrid mileage vs. S350 or S500/550 is just jokingly small.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I think WSH should buy me an S65 so I can make the roads safer him. I'll take one in Silver with a Black interior, preferably a '10, but an '07-'09 will do if you must. Also Silver exterior, and BLACK interior (has to be Black, as I will not accept it with Beige).

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Originally Posted by 13pauls
Everyone has a right to their opinion. Why do certain people constantly hound WSH? As a matter of fact, he/she has me considering a v12 when I replace my current s550 4matic, with their enthusium about the s65. Please respect others and STOP using profanity towards persons expressing their views, save the f bombs for the few bigoted morons who exist on these forums.
Hey, go easy on WSH! Nothing wrong with being an S65 snob!
If everyon drove a Mercedes, with better brakes/handling/safety features, it would be safer for all drivers. Personally I wouldn't want to be in a politically correct Prius and get into a accident on the freeway. Can't get any safer than an S class.
As for the derogatory comments aimed at WSH, I say back off! Besides where else are we going to get such off the wall/technical/analytical/opinionated/comments filled with slashes/more slashes/and then some??
WSH, keep those opinions comin!