S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Next-generation Mercedes mbrace iPhone due Feb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
Next-generation Mercedes mbrace iPhone due Feb

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/n...hands-on-Video

The new features start around the 2 minute mark.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Well, while its neat to have it on the phone - it sure is not worth $20 extra per month on top of the basic MBrace subscription.

I just want to be specific so it doesnt look like I am just making an ignorant statement.

One of the features they tout in the video is the ability to get directions to the nearest MB dealer....Why is this special? That is standard on every NAV in a mercedes.

They talk about getting directions sent to the car from the agent on the phone. Sure thats pretty cool. However, if you just click POI (points of interest) - you can search Restaurants closest to you, and it will come up.
Along these lines - if you have a blackberry or iphone (assuming you have the iphone if you have an apple app) - just google the nearest starbucks.

The gizmo re: using triangulation to find your friend....thats 007 stuff - but completely not needed. In today's world - the possibility of finding yourself completely lost....as in "I Have no idea where I am, OH NO!!!" is slim to none.

I just used my MBrace the other day - because I wanted the number to a restaurant - just to see how it worked. Could have used my blackberry or called my father's secretary to look it up for me. The agent told me I have "the standard service" but not the "PLUS" package. I asked what the "PLUS" package afforded me... and she said "Real time traffic" (I have this in my standard nav system!) .... real time weather (Ok I dont have this but with my blackberry or weather.com - its no big deal.... "Concierge service"....as in sending floweres, booking airline tix, making reservations.....(i truly dont find it a task to do these things myself.

Bottom line - I have MBrace in case god forbid I crash and am not alert. They will find me - and if an airbag goes off - my parents will be notified and an ambulance will be sent automatically.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
I agree with most of this. I was one of the first adapters of mbrace (actually the very first conversion from (crap, can't remember what it was called before) to mbrace at my local MB dealer)... I got the lifetime membership for $200 or whatever it was... Not sure if it includes the concierge service or not... I would go for my AmEx Centurion for that anyway, since I have a relationship with my personal concierge who knows what I would be looking for...

In short, I got the service for the very same reason you did... To alert people incase of an accident and I am not alert enough to make the call... Which reminds me, I had to use the wrench icon (service) a few months ago when I shredded my rear tires (two tires flat, only one spare.. LOL) and it couldn't connect... Need to take it back to the dealer and get that fixed, as it appears something didn't go right during the update to mbrace...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Wow, oh wait, what, no thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by 06E55
I agree with most of this. I was one of the first adapters of mbrace (actually the very first conversion from (crap, can't remember what it was called before) to mbrace at my local MB dealer)... I got the lifetime membership for $200 or whatever it was... Not sure if it includes the concierge service or not... I would go for my AmEx Centurion for that anyway, since I have a relationship with my personal concierge who knows what I would be looking for...

In short, I got the service for the very same reason you did... To alert people incase of an accident and I am not alert enough to make the call... Which reminds me, I had to use the wrench icon (service) a few months ago when I shredded my rear tires (two tires flat, only one spare.. LOL) and it couldn't connect... Need to take it back to the dealer and get that fixed, as it appears something didn't go right during the update to mbrace...
Ah you mean Tele-aid. Rubbish....I know exactly what you mean. I too converted from this to MBrace and it was a disgusting experience. MBrace had no idea who I was - didn't have any info on file - it was ridiculous. I hope it was embarassing for my dealership - except I like my service advisor so I felt bad he was in the middle of it.

Was great crap to hear them say "He doesn't drive a 2007 S550 - he drives a 2002 S500!" "Yes - I did drive a 2002 S500 - but I bought a 2007 S550 in 2006...." "No you dont have a 2007 S550".

Yea...i'm lying you jerk!

Anyway it works now - but it was amusing how they tried to get me to upgrade to the plus package this week. "are you sure you will not need the wonderful benifits of the Plus package?" "We offer the finest service - and you will notice the difference with each click".

Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
You have to pay a monthly fee for the Crash alert service? My Ford's Synch does this automatically and its free.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
This iPhone app seems to be as useful as another tip calculator or a Nairobi subway map. In six years of Mercedes ownership I have never touched the wrench buttton. I have never needed to search for the nearest dealer.

I can find myself and the location of my minions quickly using voice commands on my EVO, and the intelligent navigation can find poi or show me the neighborhood and let me select which Starbucks I want to visit. The speed trap and red light camera alerts on the EVO nav system is more helpful than the in-dash unit. The live traffic alert and reroute functions have saved me time and gray hair a few times too.

Mercedes is pretty good about bringing new electronic features to their cars, but because of the time they must lock down the design for production you are often saddled with two year old technology in your new car.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by MG
You have to pay a monthly fee for the Crash alert service? My Ford's Synch does this automatically and its free.
Ford Sync requires your mobile phone be charged, there, connected, synced, ready, etc.

MBrace uses its own connection to Verizon built into the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Originally Posted by mac911
Ford Sync requires your mobile phone be charged, there, connected, synced, ready, etc.

MBrace uses its own connection to Verizon built into the car.
Ah, there is the point I missed, thanks.