S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Is it worth getting an S-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2009 Porsche Cayenne S, 2007 E550 4Matic
Is it worth getting an S-Class?

Alright guys, first post here. Been wandering these forums for a few years now, but only yesterday did I sign up for an account (to view some pictures!)

Anywho, my lease is about up on my current car, not a Mercedes unfortunately (Porsche) and my question is, what car should I get next?
It's going to be a Mercedes for sure, and I'm retiring soon so it's probably going to be my last car. With that mindset, I figured why not go for the best and get the S- Class right?

Then I was browsing through the MBUSA site and thought to myself, what justifies getting an S Class? Now I know this is an S-Class forum so responses might be biased, but I'd like to hear some opinions, or reasons why it's worth putting down 100 grand for the S. My previous car was a 07 E350 4Matic. Fantastic car. Beautiful inside and out, and powerful. I configured a S550 4matic with P2 and rear seat package (pretty much all that you need for it to become fully loaded) and it comes out to about $105,000.

Adding equivalent packages to the E350 4Matic, it comes out to about $65,000. So we have a $40,000 difference here, enough to get a loaded C300 or maybe even a GLK to get a SUV in the garage for traveling out of state with the family or a quick trip to HomeDepot!

So guys, I know what I wrote was a short story but, what's so great about the S550? What justifies spending almost double the money on a car with the features/specs that an E class offers (on paper)? The S is longer, giving about 6 inches in the rear for legroom which is fantastic! but $40,000? Also, power isn't really an issue here. I think the 350's V6 is plenty for my liking. We're talking ride, comfort, etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciate, thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM

Car
What justifies the difference for me is comfort and quality. I usually find the S-Class has a softer, more refined ride and better, nice to the touch materials. Plus, the seats feel much nicer

If you can't justify buying a new S-Class, why not buy used?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 AM

Oh yeah? Never driven the S class yet. Going to test-drive the S550 4Matic tomorrow! I'm excited. I have high expectations. I've been hearing only good things about the later W221! The ride in the E is pretty smooth too, so we'll see!

As for the seats, isn't that due to the fact that the "leather" in the other cars are actually what they call "MB Tex" and is just a vinyl and not real leather, but you can upgrade to premium leather at extra cost?

Definitely not buying used. I'm leasing my cars and due to lower residual values, leasing used pre-owned cars actually comes out to be about the same price per month. At least, that's what happened last time I tried to lease a used Porsche, so I ended up getting a new.

Besides, I figured if I'm retiring with this car and it's going to last a while, it's better to buy new. Although pre-owned are thoroughly inspected, you never know how hard the first owner pushed the engine, or what kind of fuel they put in which in the long run, may affect life but won't show up in tests.

Anyone else have any opinions? Or what are some good options to add to the 2011 W221

Last edited by CedarZ4; 07-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Add Active body control; best suspension in the world!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
It really depends, the Porsche you have no will drive and handle completely different. If you're used to the sport feeling, you may end up love or hate the feel of an S.

But since you're retiring, I'm assuming over 50, the S may suit you better and I can assure you that it has much more class and turn more heads than a Porsche beside the panamera (it turn heads too).

I came from an E320 4matic, the E is great, but the S especially coming from an 04 to an 08 the new available options, futures and ahh the looks. I've had this car for less than a month and I've been approach and compliment numerous of times. I had my E320 fixed him rims/spoiler/lowered etc... for 6 years and I got only a few compliments. So it's not only us owners that love our cars, other people envy these cars.

you didn't mention of having the Sports package. Not to say that the non-sport is ugly but it does give the car that $100k look. If you don't have the rear passenger, I'd say skip the rear seats package, I have it but I don't get to enjoy.

For me, Sports Package, P2, White Panoramic roof would be my option of choice if I get to choose. I didn't care for the rear seats but it was what we ran into (I got it used)

BTW: If you're afraid of the idea of a used car, you can probably get a 2010 or even used 2011 with extremely low miles 5k-10k and get that extra 1 year CPO warranty on top of what's left, that's like having a brand new car for a lot less.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by amaycg
Add Active body control; best suspension in the world!
Oh if only I were in Cal or Florida. Jersey, snow gets pretty heavy during the winter. Can't have ABC with 4Matic unfortunately, and 4Matic is a must for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 AM

Believe it or not, I actually miss the way my E350 handled. I don't really like the Porsche. Car fanatic, but guess I'm getting old. The Benz just felt a lot more smooth, and almost like a tank. It was stable to say the least. So while you make a good point dannieboiz, I don't think handling or the sporty feel of the Porsche will be missed. Besides, I heard the S does a good job of combining pure luxury (Lexus LS) and performance (BMW 7) and that seems like a pretty good deal. Super luxury, yet enough power to get that rush or ahead of that ricer who just badged his C300 with an AMG badge (sorry, was just on the AMG poser forum, haha it's stuck in my head!)

Agreed. I actually considered the Panamera, but the wife is pretty set on a Mercedes, and I'm not going to deny with that! I can imagine it'd turn head. Yours sure does, I dig it. Nice ride and congrats! Although for me, I think I'm going with a more conservative black, but we'll see. White + Panoramic is definitely sweet and has that unique look to it. My old E was black on black with Pano, and you can barely tell it's there. Wasted 1 grand!

Questions though, potholes in NJ are terrible. The sport package with their 19" are definitely low-profile right? My E had sports package, and you have no idea. Running at $400 per tire (replaced them at MB dealer, I know, foolish) I swore I'd never go back to low-profile, even though they are just SO sweet looking! I'll see what my options are though. I don't plan on customizing a vehicle and have it shipped from Germany cause that would take too long, but if they gave me a good deal on an S with sports package, why not!

Question: Without the rear seat package, is there still a seat for a 5th passenger? Family of 5, and being able to seat 5 is pretty crucial. While most of the time the kids drive themselves, family get together calls for all hopping in into Daddy's new head turnin S

One more question since it's a pretty new feature. Driver Assist Package (DISTRONIC, Active Lane Assist + Blind Spot Assist), Splitview and Nightview, how are they and are they worth the money?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
To answer some of your question, (I went through the exact same dilemma as you are now)
I drove an LS460L and immediately drove the S550, I immediately made up my mind.

I hear that the 2011 Distronic plus has a lot of improvements compared to the 08 that I drove so I can't speak first hand. But, I was considering one with a p3 package with all those option you mentioned, the blind view assist I would say useless, IMO it can become a distraction and when you rely on it so much, you loose your driving skills. If you drive on low lights roads often the night view assist would be nice. I live in CA, so I'm afraid of the dark, Night View is useless to me. lol

Adding the rear seat package is really for 2 passenger in the rear to be comfortable, if the 2 windows passenger start messing with the seats, it can actually make the middle passenger uncomfortable because the way the entire seats moves while leaving the center passenger with only a few inches for their a$$ to sit on.

Also something to consider is when you have the rear seats package, you get 4 zone climate control, that means you loose your center armrest storage that has the so called "AC/Heat box to store your beverages.

The Sports Package comes with 2 flavors, there's the standard sports which have 19" and there's the sports +1 which is 20" rims. I think you'll do fine with 19" rims. 275/40/19 tires are considered low profile but with 275 width, it actually adds more side walls to your 40"s. It's a 100k car, what's $1k rim replacement mean.

BTW: I'd be careful about discussing your deals on here. The dealer that I was working a deal with was spying on me on this forum through the process, when I was having discussions like this. They stayed firm on their price and got over confident that I was going to go with them because they were betting on their CPO vs a private dealer. The price difference wasn't huge but enough to make senses to me that it was more than what an extended warranty would cost so we ended up with what we want and get to decide on extended warranty or not. After I let the news out on the forum, I was confronted via email by the sales rep and he ignored me after that. Very sour sales tactic and ended the lost deal with a bad rep. I know I'm not going to that dealer for my next MB even if they have what I want. I bet he's reading this now too and I hope he reads it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 AM

Oh, was not aware that by adding rear seat package, you lose center armrest storage! Thanks, have to keep that in mind and check that out tomorrow at the dealer. Frankly though, it sounds neat but the AC/Hear Box is not near cold enough to chill beverages. It's better than 100degrees Cal weather though, huh?

Wow, that last note actually got me... sorta upset haha. That's a very poor sales tactic. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep that in mind.

Will check out and test drive the S tomorrow and keep you guys updated! Thanks for all the help dannieboiz

PS: As for the Sports Package, I'll see which car has the color scheme I like and basic features (P2 is a must!) and then go from there. Won't request sports package be added, but if it comes with it I'll bite!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
Talking

Originally Posted by CedarZ4
Oh, was not aware that by adding rear seat package, you lose center armrest storage! Thanks, have to keep that in mind and check that out tomorrow at the dealer. Frankly though, it sounds neat but the AC/Hear Box is not near cold enough to chill beverages. It's better than 100degrees Cal weather though, huh?

Wow, that last note actually got me... sorta upset haha. That's a very poor sales tactic. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep that in mind.

Will check out and test drive the S tomorrow and keep you guys updated! Thanks for all the help dannieboiz

PS: As for the Sports Package, I'll see which car has the color scheme I like and basic features (P2 is a must!) and then go from there. Won't request sports package be added, but if it comes with it I'll bite!

Lots of writing on this thread. I confess I haven't read all of it, so if I repeat, please excuse me. I'm trying to share my own experience.

First: My 2010 S550V4 has the rear seat package. I did a lot of research on this before I took delivery because it was crucial. My wife and I have an infant (I'm 29 years old - on the other side of the retirement equation!) in a rear-facing car seat with a base. So, I wanted to know about the LATCH points. In fact, it's built just like a traditional rear bench seat, just with two power seats on the outboard positions. Your armrest still folds down in the back, and there is still storage inside. Your FRONT armrest loses space because of the rear seat HVAC controls (There may be a small compressor back there, dunno). My front armrest is only about 2 inches deep - just deep enough for Tic-Tacs, spare house keys, and a cell phone charger. I don't keep a lot of stuff in my car. The door pocket storage is generous, but the glove box will be full once you put the manual in there. However, there is plenty of hidden storage space under the floor of the trunk, if you want to put the manual there and open up your glove box. Don't forget, your iPod will live in your glove box.

I too wrestled with the new E-Class versus the S-Class dilemma. I came out of a 2004 S500V4, so that probably had something to do with it. Passenger comfort is a big deal to me, since I'm always driving, and my wife is always in the back seat with the baby. A comfortable wife means less headaches for me. She enjoys the power rear seats a lot, especially with the ventilated seat system in the current heat wave. She naps when the baby naps, reclining the seat back and stretching her legs. The baby loves watching all of the screens and headrests go up and down. That's my kid!

Anyway, ultimately what lured me away from the E-Class was nothing of its own fault (I was looking at an E550V4). I love the cavernous interior of the S-Class. I love everything about the car, and I won't look back. Ever. It is sort of hard to describe, because for me, the upsell was somewhat "intangible." I was really lucky in finding the one that I got, because I picked it up in October 2010 at a very steep discount (end-of-model year). If I were you, that's what I would do - wait until Sept. or Oct. to get some real money off. Hell, July is almost over!
I don't brag about the performance of the S550 - it's fine and dandy, but it is a heavy, large car. If I want to go quick, I have the M5, and I believe you've mentioned you have other car choices at home too, so keep that in mind. Even compared to the E550, the S550 is so smooth, quiet, and luxurious that you won't be swayed away from it. And, the E550 has the same engine, gearbox, and suspension!

Go for the S, if this is one of your final car purchases, you'll always wonder "what if." And true, it has a lot of panache and "valet presence" or "street presence," mine always turns heads. But I don't go for that. My car always gets special parking from local valets because it is gorgeous, and IMHO, sexier than an equivalent E550. Here are some pics to influence you to make the right choice - remember, I had the exact SAME dilemma as you, and I'm absolutely thrilled I made this choice. Yes, it is more $$, but on the margin, you're paying a lot for an E-Class these days, especially an E550, so shell out the couple extra hundred a month and get the S! To me, the cost difference was enough to justify the extra benefit. Enjoy! Let us know what you decide! PM me if you want some more advice.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't go wrong with the S but certainly drive the new E as a reference. Also remember, the MY12 gets a new more powerful and efficient engine. For the 4Matic, this likely means no gas guzzler tax. Also, my dealer mentioned the iPod will be relocated to the center armrest. Ultimately, I chose the E bluetec as it suited my needs a bit better from a size perspective. You may also consider the S bluetec which will be available later this year. Good luck - you can't really go wrong with the S.