S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Duragloss / Other Detailing Products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Duragloss / Other Detailing Products

Hi All - Just wondering if anyone here has used Duragloss products. Any feedback on experience with these products would be truly helpful. Do you recommend these or prefer other glaze and waxing products?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We have been testing it with great amazment so far!!! We are thinking to start giving some away or offering coupons, because this stuff is great!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cartronics
We have been testing it with great amazment so far!!! We are thinking to start giving some away or offering coupons, because this stuff is great!!!
Thanks for your response. Which particular Duragloss products do you use / recommend?

Thanks again!!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Thanks for your response. Which particular Duragloss products do you use / recommend?

Thanks again!!
what are you trying to accomplish? Do you have scratches in the clear coat that you want to hide or remove?? Is it looking nasty in the sun? What type of hardware (PC7424,Flex 3401, etc...) are you using to apply the products?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
what are you trying to accomplish? Do you have scratches in the clear coat that you want to hide or remove?? Is it looking nasty in the sun? What type of hardware (PC7424,Flex 3401, etc...) are you using to apply the products?
Thanks for your response.

So, with regards to what I want to do. My car has some swirl marks that I want to either permanently remove or temporarily remove (if that involves something that I need to do every couple of weeks). Swirl marks are not too bad but it bothers me tremendously when I see those under the sun.

And, of course, something that I can do to continue to maintain the desired shine.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
My car has some swirl marks that I want to either permanently remove or temporarily remove (if that involves something that I need to do every couple of weeks).
You can start with ScratchX and then, if necessary, go to Meguiar's M205/M105 (in that order). M205 is typically great for minor swirl marks; if not, M105 will take them right out. Whatever you do, start with the least aggressive compound and move up as desired. I recommend using a hand applicator with M205/M105 to minimize any unpleasant surprises.

I had made the mistake of letting the dealer wax the car during PDI, so it arrived with a deep "staggered" scratch above the front passenger's door (likely from the watch bracelet or something similar). I lightly rubbed it with M105 for a few seconds, then followed up with M205 to remove the hazing, and it's good as new (no sign of the scratch whatsoever).
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by skrontz
You can start with ScratchX and then, if necessary, go to Meguiar's M205/M105 (in that order). M205 is typically great for minor swirl marks; if not, M105 will take them right out. Whatever you do, start with the least aggressive compound and move up as desired. I recommend using a hand applicator with M205/M105 to minimize any unpleasant surprises.

I had made the mistake of letting the dealer wax the car during PDI, so it arrived with a deep "staggered" scratch above the front passenger's door (likely from the watch bracelet or something similar). I lightly rubbed it with M105 for a few seconds, then followed up with M205 to remove the hazing, and it's good as new (no sign of the scratch whatsoever).
Hi - Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. With regards to the swirl marks, since these are minor, do you recommend that I just wax it every couple of weeks to temporarily hide those? If yes, which wax / sealant / glaze do you recommend. I am inclining towards a temporary fix because I think it will be impossible to continue to eliminate minor swirl marks. Or, may be I am doing something wrong that I have these swirl marks to begin with There is no major scratch etc.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
With regards to the swirl marks, since these are minor, do you recommend that I just wax it every couple of weeks to temporarily hide those?
No matter how much you wax them, they don't hide well. I hand wash my cars (two-bucket method with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and 12 clean microfiber towels of good quality) very carefully at least every two weeks, but the swirls marks (albeit extremely minor and barely visible even in direct light) still accumulate over time. To further protect the paint, I also apply Optimum Instant Detailer when drying the car during the wash (helps quite a bit against water spots and dust accumulation). I use clay bar and re-apply wax (Optimum Car Wax) on the entire car every 4 months; I polish the paint with M205 (and M105 for more severe defects) every year or so.

There are all kinds of Internet resources (including specialized forums) for those who have the time and money to make their car look like new ;-)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Hi - Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. With regards to the swirl marks, since these are minor, do you recommend that I just wax it every couple of weeks to temporarily hide those? If yes, which wax / sealant / glaze do you recommend. I am inclining towards a temporary fix because I think it will be impossible to continue to eliminate minor swirl marks. Or, may be I am doing something wrong that I have these swirl marks to begin with There is no major scratch etc.

Thanks again!!
In my opinion scratch X is a waste of time and I do not recommend that you attempt to use a hand applicator on that large S class. You will die! Ok...Are you sitting down?

After 2003 Mercedes went with a ceramiclear clear coat finish that is very difficult to penetrate with a hand applicator or even an orbital buffer (ex:porter cable 7424) The problem with the ceramic clear coat is that it is harder to correct than the comparatively soft clear coats used by most other car manufacturers. Ceramic paint can still scratch; just not as easily. When a scratch does occur, not all the polishes on the market are capable of removing it from the new, hard-as-a-rock clear coats.
The flex 3401 would be ideal for a newer Mercedes. If you are serious about making that S-Class shine look into the Flex 3401 and a variety of lake and country pads (white,orange,grey & blue) I would also suggest the menzerna polished for the benz paint. Menrzena is a German brand that has proven to be one of the best. I'm speaking from experience. Do not waste your time with store bought polishes (ex:scratch x, color wax, etc...)

This forum section was one of the best things to ever happen to me in regards to cars:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

polishes:
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html

polisher:
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-car-polishers.html

pads:
http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html

correct order:

here are two black cars that I worked on and no glaze used. Full paint correction. 8-10 hrs per car:

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 10-09-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
In my opinion scratch X is a waste of time and I do not recommend that you attempt to use a hand applicator on that large S class. You will die! Ok...Are you sitting down?

After 2003 Mercedes went with a ceramiclear clear coat finish that is very difficult to penetrate with a hand applicator or even an orbital buffer (ex:porter cable 7424) The problem with the ceramic clear coat is that it is harder to correct than the comparatively soft clear coats used by most other car manufacturers. Ceramic paint can still scratch; just not as easily. When a scratch does occur, not all the polishes on the market are capable of removing it from the new, hard-as-a-rock clear coats.
The flex 3401 would be ideal for a newer Mercedes. If you are serious about making that S-Class shine look into the Flex 3401 and a variety of lake and country pads (white,orange,grey & blue) I would also suggest the menzerna polished for the benz paint. Menrzena is a German brand that has proven to be one of the best. I'm speaking from experience. Do not waste your time with store bought polishes (ex:scratch x, color wax, etc...)

This forum section was one of the best things to ever happen to me in regards to cars:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

polishes:
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html

polisher:
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-car-polishers.html

pads:
http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html

correct order:

here are two black cars that I worked on and no glaze used. Full paint correction on 8-10 per car:

Thanks a lot for your detailed response.

I noticed that MB also has "Paint Cleaner" and "Paint Polish" (http://www.mbparts.com/store/c/14-Car-Care.aspx). Have you used any of those? Any experiences?

Thanks again!!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM

I noticed that MB also has "Paint Cleaner" and "Paint Polish" (http://www.mbparts.com/store/c/14-Car-Care.aspx). Have you used any of those? Any experiences?

Thanks again!!
No. I've never seen that before, nor do I have any experience with it. Shoot me a pic in the sun of the worst spots on your S and I'll make a suggestion to you