S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Licenses plate lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Licenses plate lights

Can any one tell me how to get the license plate light housing out so I can replace it with a new LED unit. I have taken the boot (trunk) lid lining off and I can get to the bulb but I can't figure how to get the light housing out so the new housing complete with LED bulbs can go in. Pressing the two side clips will not freee the housing so it can be pushed out nor will it free it to be brought in. Do I have to break it out or is there a way to get to it?

Please help!!!

Tony
Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 PM

2007 S 65
Originally Posted by tonykharper
Can any one tell me how to get the license plate light housing out so I can replace it with a new LED unit. I have taken the boot (trunk) lid lining off and I can get to the bulb but I can't figure how to get the light housing out so the new housing complete with LED bulbs can go in. Pressing the two side clips will not freee the housing so it can be pushed out nor will it free it to be brought in. Do I have to break it out or is there a way to get to it?

Please help!!!

Tony

111 views and no one can/will tell me how to remove the light housing.

Come on guys, please help!

Tony
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
If you want to replace the whole unit. The theres 2 clip-like. Push it together and it'll come out. You also need to take the trunk lining off to get access behind the trunk.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 PM

2007 S 65
Originally Posted by phatisfy
If you want to replace the whole unit. The theres 2 clip-like. Push it together and it'll come out. You also need to take the trunk lining off to get access behind the trunk.
phatisfy,

Thank you for trying to help me!

But pressing those clips together or even breaking them off completely will not remove the light housing. At least in my car it would not, and believe me, I've tried!

I finally destroyed the housings and removed them in pieces. That worked.

Then you have to enlarge the openings in, the plastic so you can push the new housings in from the outside. They will clip in place. If I ever have to replace them again, it will be dead easy. Simply press the clips together as one would think, and as you suggested, and push them out.

Man, I'm telling you nothing is easy anymore. But the reward is worth it, they look great.

That white light makes the license plate area look much better than that gloomy look of the original bulbs.

Tony
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Glad that worked. yes,these cars are a bit tricky to take apart things.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
sorry to bump an old thread. i purchased those expensive 45-50 dollar complete replacements. some vender also sells exact same ones on here and some on ebay also.

heres my beefs

1. pain in the *** to install.
2. was too bright. had to cover the bulb with vinyl tape to cut the output down. was insanely too bright for my taste.
3. 1 failed and started flickering a week later,
4. when you remove them .the clips just broke off soo easily. so beware. dont try and remove them because all the clips snapped off when i pushed them in to put my oem light housings back in.

i just ordered some canbus 6000k bulbs, cheap bulbs and they work well and easy to install.

i have used these in all my front lights and lisc plate and they all worked good so far!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-8-SMD-LE...item43aa2007c1
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM

2002 Mercedes S 430(GONE), 2001 E320(GONE), 2007 S550(GONE), 2009 BMW X6(GONE), 2014 S550
Originally Posted by tonykharper
phatisfy,

Thank you for trying to help me!

But pressing those clips together or even breaking them off completely will not remove the light housing. At least in my car it would not, and believe me, I've tried!

I finally destroyed the housings and removed them in pieces. That worked.

Then you have to enlarge the openings in, the plastic so you can push the new housings in from the outside. They will clip in place. If I ever have to replace them again, it will be dead easy. Simply press the clips together as one would think, and as you suggested, and push them out.

Man, I'm telling you nothing is easy anymore. But the reward is worth it, they look great.

That white light makes the license plate area look much better than that gloomy look of the original bulbs.

Tony
Yes there are also to screws that you need to remove and then clips come out like a charm
Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
You also never need to dremel or smash anything

The black cover comes off just press from inside with a flathead on the tabs