S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

BMW vs. Benz: Mods/hacks/DIYs/retrofits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
BMW vs. Benz: Mods/hacks/DIYs/retrofits

Seeing the key-triggered trunk closing thread got me thinking... Coming from BMWs, if you have factory diag/programming tools, you can almost change every behavior of the vehicle. Features such as video in motion, disabling the navigation lockout, changing locale of voice prompts, whether a light controller checks for a bulb (if one upgraded from incandescent to LED), enabling/disabling airbags, enabling/disabling remote window up/down, and so much more all can be had. I've even flashed the DME (ECU) from EU to US and back (emissions implications). I see that VIM can be had here but a harness is required.

Can this sort of thing be done on the Benz platform? Since I now essentially own a S550 (car is still across the country...) from years of owning several BMW 7s, I started looking for mods/hacks/DIYs/retrofits for the Benz. Speaking of retrofits, there often features available in newer gen BMWs that can be transplanted to an older platform. And while I can always find plenty of that for BMWs, I am coming up short for the Benz. Am I just looking in the wrong places, or, is Benz more restrictive/limited or the Benz crowd simply less of the DIY type?

As an example, I saw that the MY13 M-Class supports A2DP, AVRCP, and MAP Bluetooth profiles, I know it is not available for the W221. After looking around, I don't see the possibility of a retrofit. Based upon my experience with BMWs, such retrofit would be possible and someone would have posted a DIY article. Here is one example BMW E38 DIYs/mods: http://www.e38.org/

This is not at all about bashing Benz or suggesting that it is inferior. I know better :-) I believe that there are *many* things that the Benz does very well or better than the Bavarian offering. Afterall, I am "here" and not "there". I simply want to understand the landscape better, having never owned a Benz...

Thanks.

Edit: I have to add that this Forum has been great so far. I have received great help from many members, some well above and beyond... The help this Forum provided played a crucial role in my decision to go Benz.... Cheers.

Last edited by snovvman; 02-01-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W221 S500 SWB
Yes a lot can be done with a knock off SD CONNECT tool and pirated Xentry/DAS software.

The problem is that the knock off tool is much more expensive (more than 20 times) than the BMW one, which is like £10 for a K+D CAN INPA adapter.

The software is also a lot more complicated, not to mention the set up.

So that's why you don't see as many people playing around with MB systems on the internet. It just isn't as popular due to a higher bar of entry.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Originally Posted by wywywywy
Yes a lot can be done with a knock off SD CONNECT tool and pirated Xentry/DAS software.

The problem is that the knock off tool is much more expensive (more than 20 times) than the BMW one, which is like £10 for a K+D CAN INPA adapter.

The software is also a lot more complicated, not to mention the set up.

So that's why you don't see as many people playing around with MB systems on the internet. It just isn't as popular due to a higher bar of entry.
Yes, It is much more expensive but well worth it and an investment. An S class has many complicated electronic control systems and diagnosing is almost impossible and very expensive without it.

I think mercedes does tend to be very restrictive and makes it difficult to modify their cars. There are a few people on the web that do retrofits on mercs for a living like i believe mbenznl

Last edited by Nickthegreek; 02-02-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
So I have a hypothetical question. If you do modify a system or function and then later on have a problem with the system that requires a repair and you have an MB warranty or other third party warranty. . .

Can't the shop drill into the onboard computers and detected the non-authorized modification and void the warranty? I wondered that about the people that change the programming on ignition systems. In some countries you get fined for such a mod. In other places, repairs simply are excluded from warranty coverage maybe.

I guess if the car is out of warranty coverage, what does it matter.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by mnje350
So I have a hypothetical question. If you do modify a system or function and then later on have a problem with the system that requires a repair and you have an MB warranty or other third party warranty. . .

Can't the shop drill into the onboard computers and detected the non-authorized modification and void the warranty? I wondered that about the people that change the programming on ignition systems. In some countries you get fined for such a mod. In other places, repairs simply are excluded from warranty coverage maybe.

I guess if the car is out of warranty coverage, what does it matter.
I know when I bought my 2014 Silverado that was a problem. The computer could tell if anything was modified, even the speedo recal for bigger tires, and would automatically flag it for warranty purposes. The guys on there knew up front if they modded their software, anything related to it would be void.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
If changes are made via MB programming through their proprietary software and equipment, how could it possibly void your warranty?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
If changes are made via MB programming through their proprietary software and equipment, how could it possibly void your warranty?
I am asking the question, again hypothetically, such that the modification is made through a third party and not an MB dealer. I am no expert but I believe that programming is based on the country and region that the car was originally sold and marketed in. While you could probably modify a system, ignition map, or function to enable a feature or change performance that is not available in the original delivered country, with the MB tools, it may still be an excuse to exclude waranty coverage. I am guessing mind you, that warranties purchased are based on the features included in the data card the car was originally delivered with. Just curious.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 PM

I'm your huckleberry
For the dealer/manufacture to deny warranty, they would have to establish a nexus that the modification had a direct effect on the failure. In other words, if you modified the taillights and the steering wheel's wood cracks, they cannot deny the claim. I believe there is also legislation/consumer protection law(s) that provide for that.

If I flashed the programming on my ECM/DME (don't know what Benz calls their engine management computers) from U.S. to EU and back again, and my nav screen suffers a hardware failure, I think they would have a hard time making a case to deny warranty.

I've made many mods to my BMWs using factory software/hardware, and never once has the dealer give me a hard time. Again, don't know about Benz.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by snovvman
For the dealer/manufacture to deny warranty, they would have to establish a nexus that the modification had a direct effect on the failure. In other words, if you modified the taillights and the steering wheel's wood cracks, they cannot deny the claim. I believe there is also legislation/consumer protection law(s) that provide for that.

If I flashed the programming on my ECM/DME (don't know what Benz calls their engine management computers) from U.S. to EU and back again, and my nav screen suffers a hardware failure, I think they would have a hard time making a case to deny warranty.

I've made many mods to my BMWs using factory software/hardware, and never once has the dealer give me a hard time. Again, don't know about Benz.

I am not questioning a mod to the tail lights and warranty coverage to a failure of the power seats...

I question a modification to ignition programming and boost the engine output. If you make that mod and later on have a tranny issue BMW won't bat an eye and cover repairs under warranty? Good to know.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by mnje350
If you make that mod and later on have a tranny issue BMW won't bat an eye and cover repairs under warranty? Good to know.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
That is most likely because they did not detect the mod, if they detected the mod, then the dice starts rolling whether or not they will go for warranty coverage or not. I have retrofitted factory NAV into two C-classes (W203, W204) and retrofitted folding rear seats in a W204 and a W212. The W204's NAV retrofit worked fine, but it did require the use of a XENTRY/DAS terminal and the use of the Developers menu to configure the COMAND to report NAV data to the IC display. The individual who set it up also configured the car so that when I went to the dealership, the option did not cause the MB computers to burp on it. The dealership was really surprised as they sold me that car and could not figure out how come the configuration was not causing issues with software upgrades directed by the MB computers. Apparently the MB computers accepted the newly installed options as stock. I do not know what the guy did to set the system up like that, but he said it would work and it did. Access to a SD Connect and the XENTRY/DAS application suite is critical to retrofitting or enabling options on a car.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM

I'm your huckleberry
I am motivated to setup my own XENTRY/DAS. I found many sources for software (including versions that support 221), but I see that the multiplexer might be a bit harder.

For the BMW GT1, someone developed a multiplexer emulator. This allowed the use of a generic cable that cost less than $100. I have not seen the same on the M-B side. I do see Chinese-made interfaces but have read that some do not work properly.

It would be great to see/explore/edit the settings and perform my own diagnostics. I realize I am taking a chance with warranty issues, but it is much too interesting to ignore. If anyone has information, please send it this way. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
For 2010 and above W221 and the W222, the C4 SD Connect and XENTRY/DAS is what you need.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Nuru
For 2010 and above W221 and the W222, the C4 SD Connect and XENTRY/DAS is what you need.
If there is a "Thanks" button on the forum, I would have pushed it.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
You are welcome. BTW, this thread is primarily C3, but it will help you with learning what can be done with the STAR Diagnose system (XENTRY/DAS C3 [serial connection version] and C4 SD Connect [wireless and wired Ethernet connections version])

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-o-pics.html

Last edited by Nuru; 02-15-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by snovvman
I am motivated to setup my own XENTRY/DAS. I found many sources for software (including versions that support 221), but I see that the multiplexer might be a bit harder.

For the BMW GT1, someone developed a multiplexer emulator. This allowed the use of a generic cable that cost less than $100. I have not seen the same on the M-B side. I do see Chinese-made interfaces but have read that some do not work properly.

It would be great to see/explore/edit the settings and perform my own diagnostics. I realize I am taking a chance with warranty issues, but it is much too interesting to ignore. If anyone has information, please send it this way. Thanks.
If you look on ebay there are quite a few people selling the original Dell Latitude D630 with C4 Mux. Get that and don't fool around with the imitation Chinese mux's and virtual operating systems. It goes for around a grand but for a car that costs a grand on average for even small repairs it pays for itself in no time.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-quality-MB-star-SD-C4-full-set-D630-laptop-Xentry-12-2014-HD-Software-/321630235168?hash=item4ae2a7ea20&item=321630235168&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtrBOOM!!! and comes with 12/14 software that upgrades until the next release!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
That seems to be a bit on the high side of the pricing from what I have seen in the past.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:40 AM

This is not a knockoff. This is the actual equipment and software. 600 is probably the cheapest youll find it.

Last edited by Nickthegreek; 02-18-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
This is not a knockoff. This is the actual equipment and software. 600 is probably the cheapest youll find it.
Nick, to get an authentic version of this set-up costs several thousand dollars and comes with some period of online access to the MB STAR Service computers. This one on the web is definitely a clone from China. Take a look at the link to the thread I posted in the earlier post and thatt will provide you with a load of info about these clones. There are a ton of these on sale from Chinese Vendors. You might be able to get a real system, used from Germany, but even then, that is hard to do as MB really keeps a tight handle on this and tends to only lease the Authentic C4 SD Connect Siemens multiplexor with their latest XENTRY/DAS applications suite to MB dealers and MB authorized independents. I have heard they provide updates and take the old equipment back from the dealers and independents. A dealer or independent goes out of business, and MB wants their leased equipment back.

Last edited by Nuru; 02-18-2015 at 06:35 PM.