S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Well, it came...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Well, it came...

It took 11 days. The transport and broker were both bad, very bad. No communication, kept delaying, and many other issues. I paid $2K for an enclosed transport, but the car arrived filthy, inside and out, along with a dead battery. This is why I am not posting photos. It has been raining here. I promise I will post a full pictorial once I get things sorted out.

I spent a couple hours examining the car--that resulted in an appointment with my local M-B dealer.

Questions to request information and input on these items:

1) Both headlights seem to have a film inside, making them appear foggy and not perfectly clear. It is not condensation and not on the outside. Has anyone seen this?

2) The 4.6 seems to idle noisy and rough. I can feel the vibration while at a stop light. I've read about transmission mount and motor mount. Are there other causes?

3) The driver side seat bottom does not heat up. Service record shows that they've replaced it. Maybe they just didn't do it right?

4) On one of the wheels, at the surrounding area near the center hubcap, the clear coat is peeling. Has this happened to anyone?

5) Tell me about Parktronic--my experience with parking distance systems (BMWs, Lincoln, even Kia!) is that they start to slow beep while you're some distance away, then beep faster and faster until a continuous beep when you're about to hit something. On the Benz, it doesn't beep at all until I'm about to hit something, and it beeps a couple of times and stops. I see the visual indicators, but no beep until I'm right up on something. Is this normal?

Also, what is "Standing Lamps" right and left?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
well I still don't understand how the park distance works, but your diagnosis sounds right, sorry to hear the issues. I recently picked up a cpo that couldn't have been much better.and the dealer quickly took care of some small almost non issues. Im overly hesitant to buy a car sight unseen. was the car cpo'd?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by 1bad540
well I still don't understand how the park distance works, but your diagnosis sounds right, sorry to hear the issues. I recently picked up a cpo that couldn't have been much better.and the dealer quickly took care of some small almost non issues. Im overly hesitant to buy a car sight unseen. was the car cpo'd?
It is a CPO car. I'm rather meticulous and particular, so buying a "perfect", "immaculate", [insert any other description here] car from afar usually proves to be less than...

I would not have otherwise, but this one had all the toys....
Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Sounds like she needs a trip to the dealership for a good once over and a detail and she'll be back in your good graces again. CPO should address all of that stuff (except the Parking Sensor thing..no escalating warning sound), including the peeling clear coat on the wheel. Sucks but at least it's in your hands.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Sucks but at least it's in your hands.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by snovvman
It took 11 days. The transport and broker were both bad, very bad. No communication, kept delaying, and many other issues. I paid $2K for an enclosed transport, but the car arrived filthy, inside and out, along with a dead battery. This is why I am not posting photos. It has been raining here. I promise I will post a full pictorial once I get things sorted out.
Should have went with Jason and Mike....
Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
And I'm not even going to mention the likelihood of "biological material" on the pages of the owner's manual.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Atcpup
Should have went with Jason and Mike....
And I'm not even going to mention the likelihood of "biological material" on the pages of the owner's manual.
Haha. The trouble is that the car would have arrived just as "dirty", but in other ways that would make me want to get more vaccinations.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Before this thread gets completely side ways (as per usual ;-p), where is the night vision camera? Is it one of the devices on top of the windshield?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Before this thread gets completely side ways (as per usual ;-p), where is the night vision camera? Is it one of the devices on top of the windshield?
Never mind. Found it on the parts list. It is in fact behind the windshield.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
im never overly bothered by wheels as usually 100 per wheel does a full refinish and its perfect, foggy headlights would drive me bat**** crazy. as long as the body is perfect im sure a full detail will get it right.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Never mind. Found it on the parts list. It is in fact behind the windshield.
Useless feature anyway. I've had "night vision" on all of my cars. It's called "headlights" and "eyeballs".
Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Useless feature anyway. I've had "night vision" on all of my cars. It's called "headlights" and "eyeballs".
I'm sure you're right, but it's so cool!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Mercedes S63 AMG

I spent a couple hours examining the car--that resulted in an appointment with my local M-B dealer.

1) Both headlights seem to have a film inside, making them appear foggy and not perfectly clear. It is not condensation and not on the outside. Has anyone seen this?

2) The 4.6 seems to idle noisy and rough. I can feel the vibration while at a stop light. I've read about transmission mount and motor mount. Are there other causes?

3) The driver side seat bottom does not heat up. Service record shows that they've replaced it. Maybe they just didn't do it right?

4) On one of the wheels, at the surrounding area near the center hubcap, the clear coat is peeling. Has this happened to anyone?

5) Tell me about Parktronic--my experience with parking distance systems (BMWs, Lincoln, even Kia!) is that they start to slow beep while you're some distance away, then beep faster and faster until a continuous beep when you're about to hit something. On the Benz, it doesn't beep at all until I'm about to hit something, and it beeps a couple of times and stops. I see the visual indicators, but no beep until I'm right up on something. Is this normal?

Also, what is "Standing Lamps" right and left?
There are distance displays integrated into the speedo and on the roof of the rear. As you approach an object the lights will start turning yellow and move from outer to inner as you get closer. When you get really close they will turn red and then you will hear the audible tone.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by triniexr
There are distance displays integrated into the speedo and on the roof of the rear. As you approach an object the lights will start turning yellow and move from outer to inner as you get closer. When you get really close they will turn red and then you will hear the audible tone.
Thanks. I'm used to a distance system start the tone much earlier, where the increased frequency of the beeps are proportional to the approaching distance. Such design allows me to focus on what is outside and around the car rather than looking at warning segments. The early audible tones can warn about surrounding obstructions so that I can start slowing down.

With the Benz design, I do not hear anything until I'm very close to an object. It's something to get used to I guess...
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah. Once you've run into a few things the MB system becomes more intuitive.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm sure you're right, but it's so cool!
It's very useful for impressing passengers. That's about all I've done with it.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM

'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
the car arrived filthy, inside and out, along with a dead battery.
I could understand the car being dirty on the outside due to winter weather, but dirty inside and a dead battery denotes some pretty poor performance from the seller. A CPO absolutely should not have such problems. One can't help but to wonder what else could be wrong when such simple things as that weren't done.

Hope you get everything to your satisfaction soon, snovvman.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM

2011 Mercedes S63 AMG
It's very useful for impressing passengers. That's about all I've done with it.
Same here...
Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by Windshield Time
I could understand the car being dirty on the outside due to winter weather, but dirty inside and a dead battery denotes some pretty poor performance from the seller. A CPO absolutely should not have such problems. One can't help but to wonder what else could be wrong when such simple things as that weren't done.

Hope you get everything to your satisfaction soon, snovvman.
I guess the CPO treatment is not applied universally the same and it's depending on who the actual dealer is and how ethical they are. Now that sucks!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport

Well, this could be the previous owner using a pressure washer to clean the car. These headlights are sensitive to this and water can get in them if you spray them hard enough. The manual even states this and is carefully worded so the dealer doesn't have to warranty them. The other thing is possible flood damage, but I doubt that's the case.

Also, that's ridiculous for that car to arrive dirty and filthy. That transport was enclosed and that car should have been fully detailed and sparkling when shipped. I'd want a partial refund for that price. Mike and I would have fully detailed that car with my Meguiar's kit and buffer.

That should not be happening and for a 2013 with low miles, no. But, thank you CPO warranty and hopefully it's an easily fix by replacing mounts.

Yep, had this happen too, with 11,700 on the clock. Actually, after I got the car home I noticed they missed this with the CPO. This is common as the seat connector is located right where you slide your butt into the car and bends and bends over time, then breaks. I recommend an air-drop from above and getting into the car through the sunroof.

The bottom leather piece will have to be replaced with a new one. Please report back on how they do. Mine is loose and not tight anymore after the replacement. The seat heater isn't sold separately, it's embedded in the new leather shell and must be stretched and wrestled with to fit. Make sure they have an experienced tech doing the leather work and take before and after pics!

This shouldn't happen on a factory wheel, and not sure why you'd have refinished wheels on a 2013. Was it scratched in that area? CPO will cover.

Like others have said, this is normal. I think Mercedes wanted to do away with that annoying U-haul type beeping and went the more visual route. Personally, I like it. When backing up, you can use the rearview mirror to see the leds in the back also, and everyone will wonder how good you are at parking, with no beeps being heard.

6) Also, what is "Standing Lamps" right and left?
It's a European thing. It's less draining on the battery to use the standing lamps as opposed to the parking lamps. In parking mode all exterior marker lamps are illuminated as well as interior lights. In standing mode only the respective left or right side exterior marker lamps will turn on.

I've used it when parked on the side of a street or parallel parked in a smaller road/alleyway and want to make myself known to other traffic. Obviously I only need one side of the car lit as the other side doesn't encounter traffic.

Last edited by Jason B; 03-03-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Thanks for the detailed reply JB...

I went to get a wash this morning, it feels better now that it's clean. It's going to the dealer tomorrow....

Old 03-03-2015, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Nice!!

I'm thinking there's no way the car left the dealer dirty inside and out and with a dead battery. Sounds to me like the transporter ran some "errands' with it along the way. Did the odo documentation line up from sale to transporter to you. Should be no gaps.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 PM

'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
Originally Posted by Prochambers
I guess the CPO treatment is not applied universally the same and it's depending on who the actual dealer is and how ethical they are. Now that sucks!
Your post prompted me to consider that snovv may get more satisfaction going to MB USA, because their CPO program must layout a protocol for how to deliver a vehicle. If the dealer won't make it right, go up the ladder.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:53 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Windshield Time
Your post prompted me to consider that snovv may get more satisfaction going to MB USA, because their CPO program must layout a protocol for how to deliver a vehicle. If the dealer won't make it right, go up the ladder.
Thanks all for the comments and info on CPO. I'll keep that in my pocket if I need to chase it up the ladder.

Upon purchase, the dealer suggested that should MB USA call, I should represent that I made the purchase in person because MB USA frowns upon a dealer selling a CPO remotely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, it came...