S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Picked up a 2013 S550! Question on gas pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT
Picked up a 2013 S550! Question on gas pedal

Traded m GLK350 for a CPO S550 on Saturday and absolutely love it so far! Question I have is the gas pedal is very different than the GLK... Appears to stick or something the first inch or two when I press it down, kind of hard to explain almost not responsive until I really get on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix or is this something I should think about taking back to Mercedes Service to look at?

Other question is there factory mirror tint on this vehicle? I have been asked this by everyone and I of course have no idea. However, if it does, if I get my regular 35% black window tint will it look strange / contrast?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
We have been hearing about this issue from Mercedes owners for years and there is a really neat product we offer called the SprintBooster. Its a plug and play item that reduces pedal delay/lag by increasing the signal strength. It takes less than a half hour to install and will resolve this issue.

Here is a link to the item on our site: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=233730

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by M.J.H.
Traded m GLK350 for a CPO S550 on Saturday and absolutely love it so far! Question I have is the gas pedal is very different than the GLK... Appears to stick or something the first inch or two when I press it down, kind of hard to explain almost not responsive until I really get on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix or is this something I should think about taking back to Mercedes Service to look at?

Other question is there factory mirror tint on this vehicle? I have been asked this by everyone and I of course have no idea. However, if it does, if I get my regular 35% black window tint will it look strange / contrast?
Originally Posted by GMP Performance
We have been hearing about this issue from Mercedes owners for years and there is a really neat product we offer called the SprintBooster. Its a plug and play item that reduces pedal delay/lag by increasing the signal strength. It takes less than a half hour to install and will resolve this issue.
I share the same concerns. The SprintBooster looks like an interesting solution. I presume it translates and alters the signal curve to make the engine management think that the throttle is pressed farther than actual, thereby improving response. The reviews seem positive. I wonder if this affects the performance of systems that depend on knowing the precise position of the throttle.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by snovvman
I share the same concerns. The SprintBooster looks like an interesting solution. I presume it translates and alters the signal curve to make the engine management think that the throttle is pressed farther than actual, thereby improving response. The reviews seem positive. I wonder if this affects the performance of systems that depend on knowing the precise position of the throttle.

The SprintBoosters have great reviews all across the board for any applcation. We love these things because it will not mess with anything on the vehicle other than improve the throttle response by changing the resistance inside the pedal assembly to create a better feel. Not to mention, it has three switchable modes as well.

This is an electronic device which is installed behind the accelerator pedal.The installation is an easy process and does not affect the electronic systems of your car (injection, ABS, etc.) With this Sprint Booster, the delayed response of the electronic throttle is eliminated and response is greatly improved.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as we have these ready to ship out

Michael GMP Performance
Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.

Tranny needs to be reset, the previous owners driving style must be saved in the cars memory. The only real reset is done via dealer costs about $125 and is adjusted via software update to bring tranny to its original state.

There is a factory mirror type tint and the smoked 35% tint will alter that reflective appearance but in reality the overall look would probably look even better depending on your cars color and if u have a pano-roof. 35% is definitely dark enough especially if u have black interior + shades.

Last edited by wilassasin; 03-18-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by wilassasin
Tranny needs to be reset, the previous owners driving style must saved in the cars memory. The only real reset is done via dealer costs about $125 and is adjusted via software update to bring tranny to its original state.
With the shift program on Sport rather than Eco/Comfort and the car rolling on 1st gear, the throttle response is still somewhat sluggish unless I dig in. Also, I know the car has a certain levels of adaptation in terms of shift points, and the "learns" the driving habits over time. If true, wouldn't the car learn the new owner's habits and flush out the old owner's habits over time? Why is a reset necessary?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 PM

I'm your huckleberry
According to the M-B documentations I can find, the W221s have tinted, infrared-reflecting glass all round, insulated against noise and heat. This is a sandwiched layer that produces some reflections compared to standard glass.

Here is mine with 18% Llumar CTX ("nano ceramic") tint all around.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post6364791

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post6350794
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Originally Posted by snovvman
With the shift program on Sport rather than Eco/Comfort and the car rolling on 1st gear, the throttle response is still somewhat sluggish unless I dig in. Also, I know the car has a certain levels of adaptation in terms of shift points, and the "learns" the driving habits over time. If true, wouldn't the car learn the new owner's habits and flush out the old owner's habits over time? Why is a reset necessary?
It's not necessary but some owners have complained of the sluggish tranny and there is a quick temporary fix, but it is temporary. The best overall solution is a tranny reset, but who knows that may not be the issue. In any event the op would have a much faster throttle responsive tranny with the reset regardless and the dealer may just do it for free. The S Class definitely has a heavy pedal, but there is a difference between the heavy pedal feel and the feel of lack of power or hesitation.

Last edited by wilassasin; 03-19-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
just get a ECU tune problem solved
Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Cool

Originally Posted by Fly by night
just get a ECU tune problem solved
True that! A tune paired with a SprintBooster makes for a lot of fun