S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S600 ABC issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 Mercedes w203
S600 ABC issues

Hello,

I'm very interested in an S600.
But there's no possibility to get a warranty in my country and I'm afraid of ABC issues.
So I'm collecting data regarding ABC issues from S600 owners.
If you don't mind, I would like to know of ABC issues you had on your S600.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mouhamed
Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Read the forum, tons of info. The system is much less problematic in the 221/216 chassis cars than the older version, but if you have an expensive car, you run the risk of having expensive repairs. Easiest way to avoid ABC problems is to not buy a car with it.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 PM

2001 Mercedes w203
Thank you italianjoe.
There are tons of info about airmatic but much less about ABC (on W221/216 chassis).
Based on my research, I also think that ABC is more reliable on the W221 chassis. I also think that ABC may be more reliable that airmatic. More costly parts but less issues. This thread is a way for me to try and confirm this point of view.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
There are lots of things you can and should do to keep ABC reliable:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...on-thread.html

The manufacturer's and dealers' approach to ABC is to treat it as a fit-and-forget system - until it goes wrong - then throw money at it.
I think this is completely wrong. Its far too complex for that, and it needs appropriate regular maintenance.
This is my approach:

Every two or three years –
  • Replace the ABC oil and filter.
Annually –
  • Remove all the plastic under-trays and wheel arch liners.
  • Inspect every ABC component –paying particular attention to the flexible hoses.
  • The crimped joints always fail eventually, so if the hose is wet, repair or replace it, or it will let you down badly.
  • Cut the old pipe out and replace it with a new section with 10mm compression joints.
  • When the wheels are off the ground, rotate the metal collars on the quick-release connectors – they always seize.
Generally – whenever you drain any oil from the bleed points on the hard lines next to each strut:
  • Allow a few minutes for the pressure to drop, and take the weight off the wheels.
  • Drain as much oil as possible by compressing the strut with the bleed valve open – this oil is usually dirty.
  • Remove the bleed nipples & covers and fit new ones if corroded.
  • Make sure you have a scissor jack or pillar jack to hand – there’s not much room for a trolley jack when the car’s on its bump stops.
  • Check the condition of all the bushes and ball joints using force.
Generally – if the ABC reservoir is empty for any reason:
  • If you get a red ABC warning, stop the car and fix the fault.
  • Don’t run the engine – a few seconds is probably OK, but a few minutes is not.
  • The pump must be primed – even if the reservoir is full it won’t prime itself.
  • You can prime the pump with a few PSI of compressed air in the part-filled reservoir.
  • Alternatively, you can remove the poly-V belt and spin the pump by hand until you feel resistance.
If you need parts and materials, don't go to Mercedes:
  • If you need suspension fluid, buy CHF-11S from an accessory shop.
  • If you need a suspension strut, buy a remanufactured one.
  • If you need hydraulic hoses, go to a hydraulic hose shop.
  • If you need a pump, buy a serviceable used one.
  • If you need O-rings, find someone who sells O-rings.
Nick
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (09-23-2020)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM

2001 Mercedes w203
Thank you Nick. I learned a lot about ABC and S600 maintenance by reading your posts.
​​​
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
I have a very low mileage S600 that I purchased 3 years ago with just 24k miles. I'm currently at around 48k miles. This car has never been abused during its 11+ years and has been fully serviced at Benz dealers. I have service records from day one that are literally almost 2 inches thick. If you have no way of purchasing a warranty and your funds for repairs are limited, then you should not even consider the car. There's a lot more than just the ABC system that is prone to failure. Not even low mileage, gently driven examples are immune from very expensive repairs. My car has already had $16k in warranty repairs in the 3 years I've had it (not including maintenance items such as tires, brakes, and batteries), and those repairs are at the warranty company negotiated price, which can be significantly less than what a customer would pay without a warranty. Otherwise it would likely be exceeding $20k.

Go to this thread and go to my latest post to see the up to date list of repairs that have been made thus far over 3 years. I'm sure there's a lot more to come as it ages and mileage increases:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ms-thread.html
Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
It's not mileage, the ABC system just dies with age. It's actually worse when the cars sit and don't get driven.

They are expensive cars, and have expensive maintenance. Just the way it goes.