S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 ANDROID touchscreen...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 04:21 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
Can you check if your AUX works when you try to play anything from an external source in the first place? I dug deeper behind the glove box and found entire MB harness cut in half and bypassed with a similarly looking TV interface. But surprisingly I also found the proprietary to chinch connector there, so I didn't need to cut anything to make my aux work as expected - just disconnected the weird looking socket and plugged my chinch to jack connector... Figure out audio input first! Also, if this is the working AUX audio, you will have a 1to1 connection to comand's pins 15,16,5,6, so this might help you with troubleshooting.

side note: Japanese car owners have the thing for TV and most of Japanese imports have some form of TV installed (due to band differences it's useless outside Japan), but that they left your module in the car - is another thing ;-)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CL500 (W216)

Does anyone know where this corner attaches/clips to? Can seem to get it to hook on to anywhere

Last edited by Brutu583; 05-22-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:25 AM

W222, W221, W218, W211
Guys, does any of these android radios come with FM module? or is FM radio still handled via OE NTG functionality?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by amgs63dxb
Guys, does any of these android radios come with FM module? or is FM radio still handled via OE NTG functionality?
None are coming with FM.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
W221 s550
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
None are coming with FM.
Do you have a firmwarefiles sir. I really appreciate since the seller does not reply on my messages anymore.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Dhaif
Do you have a firmwarefiles sir. I really appreciate since the seller does not reply on my messages anymore.
I can do support like that here affraid. They just ban me then.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 AM
lli

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2010 S550 4matic
What an interesting read this thread! Thanks to all the early adaptors!

I think I went trough it all, but I have two questions (for now ;-) :
  • I understand the analogy with buying a new television screen. But where am still wondering: how does the interface with the comand steering knob and steering wheel work in that analogy? How is it possible that these work on the new "television screen" ?
  • How does the MB rear view camera work? Does it override the android environment to go more or less to the NTG environment, of will it run in the android environment. If the second is the case: is there any delay? I have seen android car hifi with rear view camera setup, that shows considerable delay. Considerable as in: that pedestrian would have been dead had I not looked in the mirror.
Many thanks for all your help!
Old 07-19-2020, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 857 Likes on 717 Posts
S500
your car as std has a number of components

A screen
An idrive knob to control things ("COU" - central operating unit - in merc world)
Steering wheel buttons as alternate controls
A separate Comand unit (DVD drive with a hard drive, a nav chip and some software inside - that sits hidden behind a flap under the heating controls)
A separate Amp with integral FM, LW tuner in the boot
An optional TV tuner in the boot
An optional additional Sirus / DAB tuner in the boot
An optional telephone system / UHI socket
An optional media / aux input

On a standard vehicle, the Amps die, as do later comand units (on facelift cars). Before this alternate system became available, you had to have those two units working normally, as they are integral elements joining up the list of separate components above (as they are part of the fibre optic MOST circuit) and the heater controls

So there are two drivers as to why these replacement comand units exist
a) to bring more features / a cost effective way to get later mapping - many W221s are missing BT music streaming, BT telephony, TV, Sirus, DAB,
b) replace a broken comand unit - the S class had a proprietary system integrating HVAC and Radio using new technology which they soon killed off. So the components are hard to come by and very expensive.

Because the basis for an android replacement unit is much the same for any car, and because the insecure android system is so easily modified, it doesn't take much to add features / customise for other fitments. Luckily they bothered to do this for the w221 giving far greater choice.

So to your questions

1) Since 2005 or so there is a network system in most cars, using this "canbus" its very easy to trigger something to wake up or be controlled via this system ... all this system does is take signals your car is making and use them, or for the heater send the same signals merc buttons would.

2) You get a NTSC camera ($25 quid on ebay) give it power and then take the video signal down one wire to the screen. When reverse is selected the canbus tells the entertainment screen to switch to the aux video input

The quality of budget Chinese electronics is not the same as the original S class components. For the set up of a $300 android unit Mercedes charge $10,000 (2k justifiable, the other 8k for something designed to last 5 years is robbery....)

Last edited by BOTUS; 07-21-2020 at 05:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lli (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 03:35 PM
lli

2010 S550 4matic
Thanks Botus for both answers! Certainly question 1 is answered.

However, I think my second question was not formulated clearly enough, or I do not completely understand the answer.

Currently my car has a stock rear view camera (option 218 at the time). As soon as I put my car in reverse, the rear view kicks in and "overrides" everything I was doing. Eg navigation, radio screen.
Suppose I change to the android replacement unit. The NTG is left intact (as so far it works), how will the rear view camera operate?

Will NTG override the android unit and display the rear view from the stock camera?
Or
Will android take care of this and display the rear view from the stock camera within the android environment? If so, is there any lag/delay?
Or none of the above? Is so, what do I not understand?

Many thanks for your help!

$300 android units I have not found so far for the w221. Which seller would you recommend around that price?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
Will NTG override the android unit and display the rear view from the stock camera?
Yes, that's exactly what will happen.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:04 AM
lli

2010 S550 4matic
@ artim808: Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
….I've not fitted one of these but its interesting....
many are all in one units with everything.... as the comand is old slow and lacking toys and the amps die... in an ideal world kill off the comand and amp and move to an ordinary better amp and new head unit with screen.

Either way I don't get what the comand unit will be adding, disconnect and take the rear camera feed to the android unit I expect....
Old 07-20-2020, 07:14 AM
lli

2010 S550 4matic
The comand unit is quick in passing trough video signal. How an 10 year old unit makes that work so well, I don't know.
Indeed: In an ideal world, the android unit is well specced, up to date etc and it there should be no delays is passing the rear cam signal.
However, the first generation of Android devices was rather slow. That resulted in delays.
Prices around the 400USD mark, I am willing to take the plunge. Above that, it needs to work quite well to make it worth the money.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I added the later ipod video interface 2 to an NTG3 car and the rear cameras is now slower at switching to and really slow switching off from the rear camera.... the original ipod interface cuts night vision out on the RFK completely and is much quieter than the other sources

its not just the box the whole loom is different
Old 07-20-2020, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Video transmission between the Android unit and Comand happens just like it happens between Comand and the stock screen...via LVDS. There are no delays. The android unit is simply showing what the stock screen would show.

400$ won't get you a good unit. You're looking at about 700$ for the latest ones with decent firmware and good components. As far as quality of Chinese electronics, the more you pay the better quality you get. You can't expect to pay 300$ and get a good quality unit. That's absurd. Also, stock components are not exactly the highest standard around. The stock screen is an automotive LG panel with an LVDS deserializer on the back. Nothing high quality about it.

The only spot where the Android unit falls on its face is sound quality. Expect to look at getting a decent DAC (USB sound card) and a decent ground loop isolator. It's absolute garbage compared to stock...which is why I still play music from comand via SD card.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S Class
Good so far.
Is, this available for Right Hand Drive cars?
Also, is there a headlight conversion with LED driving lights for my 2006 W221 S500? It has Night View, but I don't car about it. I think it's a useless gimmick. I'm considering moving the Night View camera to the front or rear of the car and to use it as an in dash parking camera.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Kwarior
Also, is there a headlight conversion with LED driving lights for my 2006 W221 S500? It has Night View, but I don't car about it. I think it's a useless gimmick. I'm considering moving the Night View camera to the front or rear of the car and to use it as an in dash parking camera.
No.

Yes. There is also plugnplay headlights for non night vision cars.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S Class
No.

Yes. There is also plugnplay headlights for non night vision cars.
Assuming that the the light clusters will fit in a physical sense, would the headlight kits work for my car if I leave out the infra red emitters? or is the harness likely to be different?
Is this something a competent auto electrician could sort out?
Old 08-31-2020, 05:19 AM

W222, W221, W218, W211
You don't have any red light emitters on your pre-facelift W221.

Proof? -> turn your night view assist on and cover your lights - see the magic happening... ;-)
Old 08-31-2020, 05:25 PM

2008 AMG S65
Originally Posted by Kwarior
RHD is available on aliexpress
Old 09-01-2020, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by domr
RHD is available on aliexpress
IT IS???? For W221?
Old 09-01-2020, 11:17 AM

2008 AMG S65
IT IS???? For W221?
Check it out:

Old 09-01-2020, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
NICE..Totaly missed that. Must add to my site.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:28 AM

W222, W221, W218, W211
I finally got my hands on one of these and... boy.... it it still a half-baked product... Multiple technologies literally competing for screen time - that's how I would describe it ;-)
Here are some fast findings - if you have some advice how to work around some of these annoyances, please share.

BTW. I am reviewing it from the perspective of a Samsung user and Android Auto (AA) mode. CarPlay experience is MUCH MUCH MUCH better here (surprisingly...).
  • The launcher… if only there was a way to customize it. Yes - you can adjust the Nav app (Google or Waze?), but there is this beautiful phone Link app listed that starts EZ-Connect instead of ZLink, effectively forcing you to open apps and manually pressing the ZLink every time you want to use AA. Maybe it's not a problem and I will figure out how to start AA automatically, but until I do, this is by far the most annoying thing about this unit today.

• NTG screen is cropped by few mms - not a big deal, but it is not looking fully integrated.

• When switching back to NTG features, you lose audio… Put in reverse or try to adjust your seat and the audio is gone.

• AA only working with cable. You can use MirrorLink (EZ-Connect app), but the experience is subpar - you are basically projecting your phone screen and have no joystick control in this mode and everything is very laggy. I disregarded this mode as I don't want to use my fingers on the screen to skip songs…
  • AA is only using 60% of the screen. It is possible to change configuration to run it in "Full Screen", but in this mode it is just stretched and looks ugly. Ultimately you get a square space on the right hand side of the screen that is displaying nothing except for a fancy "Android Auto" logo. This is not the case when using CarPlay… CarPlay work fabulously - full screen & controls work as expected, you get the map and bunch of other apps side by side - all that is available using Wi-Fi.

• When in AA mode showing Google Maps, unable to scroll down to get music controls (accessible in the bottom part of the screen - under the map). When switched to Spotify or AIMP, controls work perfect. Not sure if this is a problem with AA or not, looks like the scroll reaches the limit and is unable to jump over to the next box…

• It takes less than a minute for this unit to shut down from standby after you drop the ignition - meaning after even very short stop, you are stuck with full boot cycle. It does not take long (less than a minute), but it could be set to something like 10 or 20 mins - would be much better.
  • Upon restarting it is trying to connect to the paired phone, whether you want it or not - freezes for few seconds. Even if you connect it with the cable, the AA does not start until after the pairing is completed and you reconnect it via cable. If you are fine with just listening the BT Audio, then this mode is fine, and it works as expected - although cycling songs back and forth does not work as smooth as you would expect (you need to press and hold the button just a little longer than usually for the switch to happen).

• When operating A/C controls, a small overlay shows up indicating current temp and fan status, which is nice. However, it is unable to control the rear AC in this mode, so if your kid leaves rear fan blowing, you will have to first go back to NTG mode before being able to shut the rear fan off (I know, first world problems).

• Boot screen shows some dumb image of a "car". If anyone knows how to disable this thing, I would appreciate some guidelines.

Overall I am happy with it... the sole ability to operate music with the knob (next next next - my way of listening to spotify playlists) is worth the effort. Most likely guys at XDA already solved half of the problems I have and it's just a matter of time when new features come up and annoyances get fixed - in the end community does a lot of great job around these units.
The following users liked this post:
Mustafoinc (11-14-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 S500L
You seem to have a slightly different UI than mine. Also your screen looks glossy, where mine looks matte.

There should be a menu setting where you control how the NTG mode is cropped.

How do you find the audio quality? I found it so disgusting that I ended up buying a high end bluetooth DAC. I'm even considering reverting back to the OEM screen because of this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W221 ANDROID touchscreen...