S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2007 S550 for household

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09 s550 4matic
Originally Posted by BOTUS
someone just said I should write what I was thinking when I bought mine.

I was after a fast, powerful, rear drive, comfortable and ultra reliable car that would last forever and had lots of toys.

with the exception of some toys that is not a modern S class,

Mine was like new, one previous rich owner, full service history at premier Merc dealer near me and had 40k miles when I got it... (it was over 140k US$ in this spec)
mine is by far the most unreliable car I ever owned by a factor of at least 20 x. If you can turn the key without a warning light its a win. I used to be motor vehicle tech on Jags and RR, never before on my own car have I had to touch the brakes (other than a disc or pad change) this thing at 45 k needed new front brake calipers because 7 of the 8 pistons where seized solid, never touched the suspension other than tracking, but this I've had 6 suspension arms, an air compressor, and levels sensors all round, it needs new airbags on each strut, a new front antiroll bar and new diff mounts.

The seats being heated, vented, massage, active dynamic $1500 each options, are the most uncomfortable I ever sat in. A ford Focus gets perfect seats and is a joy to drive. This gives me lower back pain and cramps in my shoulders, I bought a lumbar pad to compensate for the fact even with 21 x 5 different lumbar set points, its ALL in totally the wrong place. Aside from the power its horrid to drive. The ambience is OK but is ride and handling is pathetic. Closer to a lorry with flat tyres.
the infotainment is unique to this car meaning its very difficult to fix / or add the right toys

The auto box is a bag of nails (same on any 7g box), why Mercedes insist on trying to make their own I don't know. ZF are a competent European gearbox supplier, Mercedes are not. The active cruise control is a woeful disaster in comparison to that of my previous BMW, the throttle application is all wrong, but that was transformed with a software update. It is now all wrong the opposite way (too little acceleration) and the brakes that were perfectly judged are a disaster. It now overreacts under braking, mostly forgetting it should, then if lucky standing on the brakes in a scruffy fashion.

Todays extras, I forgot it needed an AC condenser too, never done than in any of my cars before. The Ford focus is driven all year in salty roads during the winder and never washed, its done 3 x the mileage and has its original brakes, suspension and AC condenser and works better then an pampered s class. Its fun to drive and comfortable. Each time I get in I am shocked how this worn out and abused wreck is such a great car to be in.

I will never own another Mercedes in my life.... its the most uncomfortable and unreliable car I have ever known of
BOTUS lost his first girlfriend to a guy in a w221, take his temperamental, emotional advice with a grain of salt. Do you have additional things to address on a Mercedes, yes. But it’s because they are extremely luxurious an on the cutting edge as far as tech. Are there problems, yes, an expect to put the work in. Does BOTUS’s Ford Focus provide the drive of an s550, 😂😂😂.