S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 01:48 AM

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks BOTUS:

A few comments:

1. I changed the speedo and tank info, ran coding, exited DAS and rechecked the settings. DAS shows the new settings I selected. So, I'm assuming it didn't revert to default. The first 7 pic's in post # 123 were before any changes for this USA car.

2. On the items you marked in RED, I'll check those out. On the gear shift issues, remember, I have the V-12 with the 5-speed tranny-- not what everyone else has...

3. On speed limiter, I think that might be somewhere else in Developer Mode. IIRC, there are some instructions on the forum on how to set it to 186. But, as said earlier, I have little inclination to change it... unless, I can display the 0-200 mph speedo.

4. Why would "key in warning" be an issue? I use Keyless-Go anyway...

5. The "audible seatbelt warning" has always bugged me. I asked here, years ago, about turning it off. Looks like you may have found it!!! I always wear a belt... can't drive comfortably w/o it.... However, my habit is to buckle up after starting... in case the previous dictator-owner had an unexploded devise left onboard!!! Or, perhaps, because of the many cars I've had in the past that didn't always start...

6. High beams??? Yes, the car has them...

I agree it's confusing on what does what??? I may mess with the settings some more to see what's what...

Regards... Mark

Last edited by mcypert; 03-18-2021 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
so now show tank info on the cluster ?
on the gears I was more confused what it said / meant, but yes on mine with 7G I think I get CSM rather than just CS
I think the engine ECU is where they hide the special protection ? but why is they so many places listed related to speed, seems over the top
key warning is a big thing in America…. I just wanted to flag it incase you want to turn it off... No one in Europe ever had this on and would never want it on, if you can't remember to take the key out should you be allowed to sit in the drivers chair ?
In the early photo last week re seat belt warnings, it said above 15kph which I think is the European std, with engine running would be offensive. But everyone in Europe wears a seat belt driving without fells like u r naked... so they fact there's a warning is meaningless (but the with engine mode would irritate a lot)
High beam is super weird ? its why I flagged in red goodness know what it means... or does this turn off the inner units due to night vision ? - so may be you could fit real bulbs and enable this mode and see where your are going at night ?
Old 03-18-2021, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
changed AAC module today - old software was better, quieter yet more air flow. It looks like the fools doing the facelift changed the fan set up to a linear mess, when the grown ups previously had 1, 2, 3, 4, that were usable and then only go silly if its been cooking in the sun

MB 2218700091 (original part)
HW 05/16
SW 10/44 2219002402 (updated to junk software in 2019) was SW 05/46 from the factory

now

MB 2218704292 (current spec part)
HW 06/48
SW 07/33 2214421805
Old 03-19-2021, 01:53 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks BOTUS:

So far, I've only changed the speedo to 0-200 and tank info. No change in the IC display. Next time I hook up the multiplexer, I'll turn off the audible seat belt warning and, if that won't change, I'll know whether or not it's resetting to defaults. As mentioned, the changes to coding of speedo and tank now show in DAS... so, I'm assuming it did not reset to default.

Along the lines of the seat belt warning is the G damned Park Assist Inoperable-- "your car is about to explode"-- warning. If I can disable the seat belt warning, I may have a go at turning off the audible on Park Assist... However, I don't want to disable the audible warning for "too close". We shall see...

Highbeams???, best I've ever had... But, SAE has always cared more about blinding grandpa than seeing the road. So, hard for me to judge...

On the AAC, so far, no noticeable difference with the one "902" update I did accidently-- per DAS instructions. However, it's not hit 28C outside yet. It will in a week or so... Too late to reverse anyway... Probably won't notice as temp here on the Island is mostly either hot or Habanero ... Mostly Habanero...

Regards... Mark
Old 03-19-2021, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
change I'm getting with ACC software....

its more like 4.2 fan speed on later software gives the same air flow I get now I'm back on fan 3 (that I used to use all the time), with noise levels you get at fan 2 of later software

these run one fan speed and alter angle of dangle to change airflow.... also noticed with everything in manual, the newer software did a form of auto regardless… which I hate... air come and goes to feet and face when set to 1/3rd everywhere. Now back on original software its back to how it was and how it should be....
Old 03-27-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mcypert
Thanks BOTUS:

So far, I've only changed the speedo to 0-200 and tank info. No change in the IC display. Next time I hook up the multiplexer, I'll turn off the audible seat belt warning and, if that won't change, I'll know whether or not it's resetting to defaults. As mentioned, the changes to coding of speedo and tank now show in DAS... so, I'm assuming it did not reset to default.

Along the lines of the seat belt warning is the G damned Park Assist Inoperable-- "your car is about to explode"-- warning. If I can disable the seat belt warning, I may have a go at turning off the audible on Park Assist... However, I don't want to disable the audible warning for "too close". We shall see...

Highbeams???, best I've ever had... But, SAE has always cared more about blinding grandpa than seeing the road. So, hard for me to judge...

On the AAC, so far, no noticeable difference with the one "902" update I did accidently-- per DAS instructions. However, it's not hit 28C outside yet. It will in a week or so... Too late to reverse anyway... Probably won't notice as temp here on the Island is mostly either hot or Habanero ... Mostly Habanero...

Regards... Mark
I did the 2219024202 update on 3/10/2021, as the days got warmer the A/C just wasn't kicking in cold and yesterday which was warm, confirmed that. Luckily I have Vediamo which allows me to install any version of the software for the AC I want and so I rolled it back to 2214421505. Immediately after rolling back the 2219024202 update the AC fired up to cool the car off.

Conclusion: 2219024202 may work for some model years but it doesn't work for my 2007.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
before swapping the AAC module I checked and it said my compressor was on, for the later software 2219024202, but it never worked well (all pathetic and not very cold - even when it had a new condenser and regassed). with the 2214421805 dated 07/33, it also says the compressor is on, but its winter and it doesn't seem to be going very cold.

On the nav not muting, I'm not sure what drives it, the only facelift software on the car now is the heater buttons.

I have 4 random ideas left with very tenuous links to what might be affecting the way the car should work ...
1) the heater buttons might confuse the can bus, I saw this comment on the can bus thread "The climate control buttons in turn sit on CAN B (interior can)".
2) could the rear handset not set up cause the car to forget how to work, not used this in many years....
3) the speedo software is 4 part numbers and obviously handles some speed related duties and it plays with lots of how the car works
4) the roof module got an update

all 4 of these got a software update around the time the radio / nave mute went wrong, the heater button software is from the facelift cars, (none of which seems good), and the others are all updates around the time Mercedes broke radio volume control.... if one of this breaks a critical path it might explain how the factory got themselves in the tails spin for a few years and had to bodge in the emergency fix of super high vol levels can mute a bit....

I can get a set of heater buttons for pennies and it should take 30 mins to fit... but my energy to fix something that should never have been wrong and Mercedes still don't know they broke 11 years on is very low
Old 03-29-2021, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
been having debate on another forum with a chap who's usually very polite and sensible, about the behaviour of BLIS and parking sensors on early w221 (a car he's never owned) and he came up with

as I said then, nothing to do with any of the other points you tried to claim.
so I went looking to see if I could find evidence of why they pick up noise from other sources... I found this

https://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=9024309&fileO Id=9024312
To this end, automotive radar systems has undergone an extensive evolution since the first prototypes... and in US and Europe during the late 1990s with the Daimler S-class systems, followed by Jaguar, Nissan and BMW... Moving to the future it has been concluded that the systems must be able to sustain high levels of interference caused by inter-operating sensors... As a part of the increasing demands and due to the technological advances, the traditionally employed 24 GHz systems are getting phased out for the high bandwidth 77 GHz systems
Old 03-29-2021, 02:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by BOTUS
before swapping the AAC module I checked and it said my compressor was on, for the later software 2219024202, but it never worked well (all pathetic and not very cold - even when it had a new condenser and regassed). with the 2214421805 dated 07/33, it also says the compressor is on, but its winter and it doesn't seem to be going very cold.
Did you mess with AC clutch adaptation? If I remember correctly it had a somewhat of a date range on the setting where it said it was applicable.
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
I did the 2219024202 update on 3/10/2021, as the days got warmer the A/C just wasn't kicking in cold and yesterday which was warm, confirmed that. Luckily I have Vediamo which allows me to install any version of the software for the AC I want and so I rolled it back to 2214421505. Immediately after rolling back the 2219024202 update the AC fired up to cool the car off.

Conclusion: 2219024202 may work for some model years but it doesn't work for my 2007.
I need to do the same exact thing. Made the mistake updating a long time ago...AC forever wonky. I procured Vediamo. Any tips for using it to do what you did?
Old 03-29-2021, 05:04 PM

2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by kn51
Did you mess with AC clutch adaptation? If I remember correctly it had a somewhat of a date range on the setting where it said it was applicable.

I need to do the same exact thing. Made the mistake updating a long time ago...AC forever wonky. I procured Vediamo. Any tips for using it to do what you did?
My tip would be to get familiar with the software, you will need the correct CBF file and the correct CFF file in order to flash using the Ecoute module. If you don't understand what this means, you have lots of studying to do.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by kn51

no -- well I say no, the compressor in diagnostics shows in action in both iterations (old or later software) and I had 6 bar when I parked up... and then on the new module, it was on 2 bar by the time I had swapped it (about 30 mins) and the software did some set up diagnostic thing on its own... then when I started the car it went to 9 bar and I gave up looking

only time compressor was out was when Merc dealer did the comand thing and forgot to re-enable compressor... way back in 2014. Not sure why its like this circa 1999 or earlier you had mega clonky suck the fuel always on AC compressors… by 2005 variable rate much more efficient ones where in play.... but as I see (and hear) the 221 always had variable AC compressor... so why did the 2008 software update on the comand system turn it to the clonky electro magnetic clutch type and off ??? when he got mine wrong and I was back within 30 mins he opened the bonnet and went Oh, you've got one of them, and just drove back in the workshop, 15 mins later all normal.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 s550 4matic
resurrecting this thread b/c of some things that were mentioned in it concerning the Telematics update. Thanks to Benzninja, I got the update today but I wonder about those that described the update as a 'Birdseye view' for gps.....I don't 'see any difference after the update. I'd like a 2nd opinion from anyone who has had it done. I'm including pics of the different menu's in the Nav section....do they give any insight of whether the gps has changed?

I finally got the Telematics update ( to newest maps ie 2015) and supposedly all the things that go with it. I don't see a difference from what it was before....and I"d read that Botus, or someone else, said that the update gives you a 'birds-eye-view'....does this look updated?
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 08:27 AM
SPONSOR

Received 834 Likes on 646 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I keep up my point of view that if you do the things as you are supposed to, if you do the things with correct perfect software and hardware
then there are NO issues with any updates
Old 05-20-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by riv-stage 1
resurrecting this thread b/c of some things that were mentioned in it concerning the Telematics update. Thanks to Benzninja, I got the update today but I wonder about those that described the update as a 'Birdseye view' for gps.....I don't 'see any difference after the update. I'd like a 2nd opinion from anyone who has had it done. I'm including pics of the different menu's in the Nav section....do they give any insight of whether the gps has changed?

I finally got the Telematics update ( to newest maps ie 2015) and supposedly all the things that go with it. I don't see a difference from what it was before....and I"d read that Botus, or someone else, said that the update gives you a 'birds-eye-view'....does this look updated?
If its been updated that's a good thing..... but to the user its likely all behind the scenes bug fixes and security improvements

if those are photos of your system you have NTG3.5 so you have a different menu set (as per the photo) and it already came as std with 3D map view

The earlier Car's with NTG3.0 originally left the building in 2005 for European markets with lots of strange glitches and bugs on the comand but always had traffic features. On release in the USA in 2007 they didn't come with working traffic info / symbols on screen etc.
A number of minor emergency bug fixes came out, but ultimately a major bug fix comand telematics release came out circa 2008 introducing on the NTG3.0 the OPTION to turn on or off 3D maps (aka Bird's eye view in Merc speak) AND turning on Traffic info for the USA Market. I believe it also prepped the car to have menus for the optional European DAB or Sirus Satellite modules.

If you update a European NTG3.0 car with the last update, the instructions a dealer says, is to install latest mapping then applies the update. But bird's eye isn't on by default - its a well hidden option to turn on - this supplement was for older cars user menu - which are very different

LOOK WHATS UNDER MAP ORIENTATION ?

If this was updated by a main dealer can you take a look at the Date in the comand screen menus and tell us if its current - And if the time is correct ? These should have the same bug the earlier car had with the time and data muddle after 6th April 2019 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_week_number_rollover
Attached Files

Last edited by BOTUS; 05-22-2021 at 01:22 PM.
riv-stage 1 (05-29-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
I keep up my point of view that if you do the things as you are supposed to, if you do the things with correct perfect software and hardware
then there are NO issues with any updates
I only knew the risk that AC is disabled after the comand update, from this forum,.. where MULTPLE owners in the USA getting the big command update found the dealer had not done the job right
So when I went to a major UK Merc dealer for my comand update, I specifically asked service reception to make the note for the tech to ensure AC is not disabled - they gave it back with AC off !!!

With my car working correctly for years, the only bug is from an online xentry SCN applied update !!! so as I said before I don't trust Mercedes let alone their junk dealerships to do anything right.....

incidentally the garage doing this work is recommended in the UK as THE pace to go by Merc dealers for correct fitting of retrofit options they can't do - they ONLY use genuine looms and parts and code to as built specification and register with Merc Germany. And they are used by multiple main dealers to correct owner induced comand chaos for trade ins in to the approved used Merc market.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:09 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Bird's-eye View.

I got an email on post # 137 and meant to respond. Sorry for the delay but I think BOTUS answered it... I think the instructions in post # 1 for the Telematics Update only apply to NTG 3.0. IIRC, Benzninja doesn't update the Telematics because it needs a CD to do the update??? So, I don't think the poster of # 137 needs an update....

AAC Update Problem.

Well, with three of you reporting issues with the AAC 2219024202 update in the last few posts, I thought my accidental update might cause the same problem and I explored how I might could go back to the 221442XXXX software.

I found four CFF's: 2214421205... 1305... 1505 & ...1805.

I also looked at post # 42 where I found the EMC originally had:

Part #: 2218700091
HW: 05.16
SW: 05.46
and, 2214421005 programming.

So, for about $30 on Ebay, I can get a replacement ECM (like BOTUS did) but... there's no way to know if someone updated the used EMC to the 902 programming???

And... That got me thinking, short of Vediamo-- which I don't have--, could I force an "update" of the ECM with older software??? We know that can't be done with DAS, but how does DAS know 221441**05 is older software???

Here's what the intro to 2214421505 looks like:

CFF-TRANSLATOR-VERSION:02.01.01
DATE:31.10.2007
FINGERPRINT:67.45.23.150
CFF:KLA221
LANGUAGE:ORIGINAL

And, here's 2219024202:

CFF-TRANSLATOR-VERSION:02.01.03
DATE:17.05.2011
FINGERPRINT:144.51.192.131
CFF:KLA221
LANGUAGE:ORIGINAL

In other words, what is DAS looking at to know which software is the newest? Is it the date? What If I change the date in the 1505 CFF to 18.05.2011? Would it force an "update" to an older software?

But, back to the AAC/KLA 902 update... so far, I can't tell any difference.

Which begs the question: The only update I've done, other than Telematics, is the AAC. If I'm not getting any anomalies from the 902 update, could the AAC update be okay if not combined with some other 902 update?

So, I'm just going to leave it alone for now.

But... While you're here, does anybody have an opinion on what changing the CFF date might do?

I don't know, but have noticed some of MB's CFF's dates-- Rear SAM, for example-- are only days apart... making one ask if MB programmers used a date change to revert to older, better software... The real question being, how does DAS know what is "the newest software available"?

Final Question on Telematics Update.

A friend just bought a 2007 ML 550. I haven't checked it out but it sounds like he has a COMAND identical to the S-Class. Does anyone know? I looked at the W164 forum and didn't find anything on Telematics Update. I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can use my 2218270665-0001 CD and DAS to update his Telematics. I actually went back to post #1 to refresh my memory on how it's done!!!

Regards... Mark
Old 05-28-2021, 02:33 AM
SPONSOR

Received 834 Likes on 646 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I have all the existing command update disks and I do update all commands from the first uneatable to 2016 and 2016 - 2021 by DOIP
when you update command on a w221, the disk also includes 4 other module updates. most of the people complete the update while Das skipped them
these must be done with a engineering program
when properly updated no issues at all. You can image that I don't leave a customer car behind with issues. I would not have a 100% five star reputation....
rolling back to any old software is also possible with this tool
Xentry/Das knows what the latest version of your software is just by reading a updated database hooked up
changing CFF files will have no effect

riv-stage 1 (05-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 03:06 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
Xentry/Das knows what the latest version of your software is just by reading a updated database hooked up
changing CFF files will have no effect

Thanks Ninja:

Yes, I figured out in post # 28 that DAS knows (and loads) the latest CFF when you check for updates. I also later found that you can delete those from F:\ProgramData\Data\Xentry\Flashfiles\221\902 .... So, what happens if DAS can only see an "newer" CFF by changing the CFF date?

Regards... Mark
Old 05-28-2021, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
after three months back running with the 2007 software on the Rear SAM, I can confirm the effect on distronic plus is significant. The car using cruise is way nicer and much safer than the facelift 902 garbage software they pedal as SCN current install. But its not as good as the original software the car came with. Whilst there is a very negligible improvement in throttle application under 20 mph on the last mess (and is not worth having). Everything else about it is a disaster and its far less safe.

The effect on braking is so substantial any passenger can feel the difference in software versions. Having got away from the crap they inform you to install if you phone home to Germany, her in the passenger seat has stopped screaming I can't drive every few hundred yards. But we did come to the agreement last week, whilst its much, much better, the original was as good as a skilled driver and the 2007 software is just bearable, instead of plain dangerous that is the current release.

The other interesting point is how its the very same Rear SAM software change, that alters the distronic plus speedo graphic (of the car showing what it see's to the front).
The Original view, is logical and representative of what happening out the window.
902 crap, a total joke of inaccurate rubbish showing the distance to objects completely out of scale when the original was perfect and the view has less info
the 2007 software is a hybrid of the two, the view and features are the original, but the scale is more messed up than the original software (that was right !)

the older software on the replacement AAC module is much the same again. Its running on a replacement module 18months never than original hardware with later 2007 software, and not the facelift 902 mess they now peddle. Its much the same as the cruise control, being less bad that the new software, but not as good as the original.
but I can now drive and tolerate the AC as is, rather than shout scream, complain and need to constantly fiddle to get it to do what it did on the original software just did on its own (note I never used auto in either iteration, as I just want air at the same temp not some rev it up fan irritation for no real benefit other than hearing damage).

the only benefit of the later software iterations is the diagnostic capability improves (as seen in the diagnosis identifier - on the print outs)... it appears either they are stupid or other changes on later car's means it should work. It clearly doesn't on earlier cars, so they did it purely so a main dealer benefits on maint work, whilst the owner gets a worse product all the time

which goes to show the w221 was developed by grown ups, they retired and then kids took over and they only get how a playstation game works and not how grown ups drive real cars

Last edited by BOTUS; 05-29-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
just checking the first page for the comand disc you used....

in Oct 2019 doing my 6 cd changer 2006 car its said use a different CD the numbers are so similar its easy to missread

yours was the top - mine says to use the bottom one

Old 06-03-2022, 08:31 PM

2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mcypert
Thanks Ninja:

Yes, I figured out in post # 28 that DAS knows (and loads) the latest CFF when you check for updates. I also later found that you can delete those from F:\ProgramData\Data\Xentry\Flashfiles\221\902 .... So, what happens if DAS can only see an "newer" CFF by changing the CFF date?

Regards... Mark
With Vediamo you can flash whatever version you want.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
it refuses and says must be from a CD - looking at contents of 2218270665 I don't believe the files I need are on there
Old 06-04-2022, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 463 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Botus, great example of why blindly flashing the latest software doesn't always yield the best results. I made this point on another thread. Although without forums I am not sure how to get the real information on what versions I'd want in the various modules for the car to operate "the best." Worse, "the best" COULD be subjective...
BOTUS (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I wonder if one is for cars with TV (the 665 disc doesn't seem to have any TV tuner files on it - but my TV module was updated at some point in its life somehow)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:32 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Botus, et. al.:

Sorry, I’m a few days late to the party. Amazingly, my S600 hasn't had any issues as of late so I haven't been following the forum. Man, I hate to jinx it, but my car seems mostly sorted after its 15 years of life!

(There was one issue with the A/C cooling and I'm still amazed at how that was fixed. It had nothing to do with programming and was a purely mechanical fix. But, that's a story for a new thread that I'll share soon...)

Back to the subject at hand, I'll add this:

The Telematics Update is different from updating Programming. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Telematics is the only update that requires both DAS and a CD. The CD is just a few files and DAS tells you which one it wants-- the 665 CD in my case.

IMHO, the Telematics update is definitely worth doing and has no downside-- as long as you know how to turn your A/C compressor back on, which apparently many dealers do not.

Botus, below are the files, as shown in MS File Explorer, in the 665 CD:

Not sure what problem you're encountering but I'm sure the 4159 and 0065 CD's are out there, somewhere. Just copy the files, as they exist, to a blank CD and insert the CD when prompted by DAS.

Does that help?

Regards... Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY