S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:57 PM

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY

This endeavor started innocently enough… Bored with staying home, I tried to update the NAVI on my 221.176 (2007 S600).

My NAVI was out of date, so I bought the NAVI V13 DVD on Ebay and, when it didn’t work right, I got a V15 (2016 version), the last available for the USA, and, it didn’t work right either. Plenty of info on this forum on how to install... And, plenty of complaints about the newer versions freezing on "Loading Navigation" after a successful install.

The "fix" seemed to be updating Telematics. Unfortunately, that's not a DIY, like updating NAVI. Requires DAS, and then some... Let me "try" to explain:

(SIDEBAR: I’ve seen some other posts about the Pro’s and Con's of updating programming. All I can add is this: I was surprised to find that almost none of my car’s systems had been updated even with previous dealer service. And, the Telematics update must be done to make the last NAVI version work correctly. Others on the forum have said, if you don’t have “Bird’s-eye View” or “Video” on the Comand screen, you don’t have the Telematics update… But, you’ll know when you try to install the last NAVI update version.)

Now, back to the subject at hand… I ran out of options after searching 'Telematics Update' on this forum and was asking about updating at the end of this very old post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2007-s550.html

Let’s just say, at that point, it become a "challenge" and I decided to tackle it... So, let's start from scratch on updating Telematics:

1. You need, or will need to get, Star/Xentry/Das. I got mine almost six years ago... Version 09/2014 running on Windows XP with a Dell D630 laptop-- don't ask me why but, the DIY version of DAS seems to work best on that old Dell... As many have said, having DAS is a "Must" to do most work on the W221 and will pay for itself the first time you need it...

2. Once you get familiar with Xentry, you'll find that SCN coding (updating software programming, as opposed to just "coding", which DAS will do...) is not normally available in DAS-- it requires access to MB's online data base....

E.g., when trying to program, or ‘update', Telematics/COMAND (control units> communications>telematics> adaptions> programming-- or, something like that path), you'll get to this screen:

(SIDEBAR: For Telematics, I ordered the CD from a dealer, part # A221-827-06-65-26. I was thinking I might could use Developer Data to load it. Dealer emailed me back that the CD-ROM has to come from Germany. I cancelled the order and looked to see if I could just download the .iso file and burn my own CD. It's not an iso file, BTW, it's just a CD data disc, as we will see…)

3. If you start searching for stuff like that, Telematics CD, you are probably going to find yourself in the weird world of *******.com. 25USD to join and, like me, you'll probably find the download you are looking for is no longer available...

4. Now, at this point, like me, you'll find out you have to "start all over again":

A. You need to figure out how to change your DAS to do "off-line programming"... See the screen shot above.

(SIDEBAR: Tip, get another hard drive of the same type as the one your Xentry/Das software came on and clone your working hard drive, test the clone and set it aside, in case you FUBAR the good, working drive... I didn’t need the back-up hard drive, but it’s good insurance. Also, I don't know exactly which Xentry systems are in favor today but, from the discussions on the forum, it seems many owners have the old Dell/XP setup… IMHO, XP is a stable and reliable OS, so, if it ain't broke don't fix it.... )

B. Without going into too much detail, you need to modify the files that your Xentry hard drive came with. Specifically: (DAS) F:\programme\das\trees\pkw\Flashen. (Your hard drive may have a different drive letter. And, you need to know how to use Windows ‘File’ Explorer, cut and paste, etc., etc.) The “Flashen” folder holds the files that allow offline programming.

C. The "Flashen" folder is just programming so, one would assume, you can modify it. I tried that without success... Anyway, the “Flashen” folder is out there on the net, so I'll leave it to you to find a copy of "Flashen" or reprogram it yourself???

D. If you install "Flashen" (i.e. replace the folder you have with one that allows offine programming), instead of "Xentry Flash access required" on the screen above, you'll get to a screen that allows "off-line programming"... Hooray... you'll think... Well… maybe you are half-way there.... more like a quarter of the way....

(If you're still reading, this may be good time to stop and come back to "5" when you are able to get to this DAS screen after changing your Flashen folder.):

5. Next, when you get to the decision screen of offline vs online and choose offline, unless you're damned lucky, you'll probably get errors about VeDok or other mysterious missing "stuff". Here's where it gets fuzzy for me... I tried a bunch of "stuff" and don't know exactly what made a difference... But, here are some more tips...

A. First, you need a SDflash folder that DAS can read... This may be located in a drive partition. In my case, there were two: (WIS) E:\programme\SDflash and a virtual drive, K:\SDflash. The virtual drive, Alcohol 120% software, was already on my Dell. I think you need the Alcohol 120% or something similar to "mount” the SDflash.iso in a virtual drive in XP. Windows 10 has the “mount" ability built in, just right-click. "Mount" changes the iso file to folders you can read, copy and manipulate.

B. There are a few dozen SDflash files (.iso) out there on the net. I tried about six... I used ImgBurn (free) software to modify the iso files. I settled on SDflash 2012-11 (Nov 2012), even though my Xentry is 2014-09 ( Newer versions didn't work for me or, at least, I couldn’t make them work. Also, I don’t think the SDflash folders work in ‘Simulation’ mode because Xentry Simulation uses a fake VIN #, so you should test them on the car when Xentry Simulation gives you an error message that the VIN # and model # don’t match.).... These, SDflash.iso's, are large files-- 5 to 17 Gb--, so downloading and sharing isn't a simple task!!!

(SIDEBAR: I know what you are thinking. Why use 2012-11 SDflash— that stuff is 8 years old??? Well, that’s still about 6 years newer than the software the car was born with. DAS will tell you if you have programming that is any newer before updating... One would also think those 6 years were enough for MB to sort out the bugs and they probably didn't do much, updating, thereafter…)

C. So, you have the SDflash folders and still it doesn't work??? For me, at least, it came down to something very strange... It seems my DAS version is 2014-09 and the file in SDflash\Release\PKW named "profi_cd.ini" MUST match the 2014-09 version. That is, copy whatever profi_cd.ini file was originally in your SDflash file and replace the file in the 2012-11 SDflash\Release\PKW folder.... here's what the complete profi_cd.ini for 2014-09 looks like:

[DEFAULT]
DAS-CD-NR=09/2014 (2014-08-13)
FlashData=2014.09.000
CAESAR-NR=03.01.99
MVCI-NR=08.02.026
Aktionierung_PATH=
CD_TYP=5

… just a few lines of code… And, here’s 2012-11... not much difference:

[DEFAULT]
DAS-CD-NR=11/2012 (2013-02-01)
FlashData=2012.11.014
CAESAR-NR=03.01.99
MVCI-NR=08.02.042
Aktionierung_PATH=
CD_TYP=5

(SIDEBAR: See why I said to clone your working hard drive??? If you totally lose track of the mod’s to your hard-drive, you can always start over with your 'good’ drive… You’ll also find "Search” in Windows File Explorer is your friend… I also pulled out of the closet a USB 2.5" HDD reader that I haven’t used in years, to use my Windows 10 desktop for changes to the Dell HDD files…After a while, you can create your own Frankenstein’s monster with all the SDflash iso’s…)

D. Also, you are likely to get "Insert CD labeled 'Star Diagnostic Software'". I think that means you are missing the correct #FDOK file in SDflash\Release\PKW\#FDOK. The one that worked for me with SDflash 2012-11 is:

221_2012101014573400000000.fsam

I have no idea what this file is (note, the date of Oct-10-2012) but, it's about 64 Mb and is needed to get SDflash 2012-11 to work. It’s also the newest 221_ “.fsam” file in folder "#FDOK" I could find!!! (Location is: SDflash\Release\PKW\#FDOK).

6. Next, if all is working, you'll get to this screen for a Comand update:

and, this:

7. So, you need '2218270665_0001'. That CD, I think, is the one I ordered from MB and it had to come from Germany. After MUCH looking, I found a downloadable .nrg version. Unzipped, it's less than 500 Mb.

8. Now, you have to burn 2218270665_0001, but as what??? .iso, ngr, etc. Here's my burned CD Hall of Shame:

Fifth time's a charm!!!

9. It's a DATA file, i.e. just copy the file and folders to a blank CD-R, like you are making a backup of your data on a permanently burned CD-R. (Just guessing here, but DAS has to read the file, exactly one file, and the five folders off the disc you put in the CD changer in the car and just wants the file and folders on the CD... Why it can't read those from your laptop is a mystery to me...)

Here's what my burned disc '2218270665_0001' looks like when viewed in Windows 10 File Explorer:

Note, I named it "2218270665_0001". I don't know if that is needed, however, who knows... Also, I burned it on the Dell D630 DVD RW. I just put the file and folders shown in the pic above on a USB, plugged that into the Dell and burned them to a blank CD on the Dell. Again, I don't know what difference that made, but it worked... Also, you may very well have all those folders, and one file, in the pic above, on your SDFlash already and, you can just copy and burn them to a CD. I checked and had the folder named “HU221" in my Dell laptop in drive E:\-- although I screwed around with that drive so much, I'm not sure where it came from??? However, in some of my SDflash ISO's, HU221 was empty!!! So, you may or may not have all the folders and the one .cdi file in your laptop already.

(SIDEBAR: I tried, for quite some time, to decode the CD_INFO.cdi a/k/a 2218270665_0001.cdi -- which is from some old technology called "DiscJuggler" and it was a waste of time... no matter what the Google searches for decoding a CDI file say.... I'm not sure what this CDI file is all about but, I surmise it is telling the computer in the car and in your laptop where to go for the updates???)

Here’s a sample of what the beginning of the CDI file looks like:

[CD-Info];
CD-Name 2218270665-0001;
# UpdateCD V1.0.0
#
# Automatic generated CD_INFO.CDI-File
# Software from:
# Daimler AG, Sabrina Meier
#
# Generiert am: 21.12.2010 09:35:56
################################################## ##########

# HU221
[2168200726-XXX];
# BOOTLOADER_HEADUNIT_ECE_USA
2214424360-001 \HU221\001001\A221442\4360_001\__EMERG_\;

# HU221
[2168200826-XXX];
(and so on…)

10. If you are still here, now your hard work pays off... When you get to: “New control unit software versions are available” you'll, of course, press F2 and I think you'll get this, again:

11. Instead of pressing F2, I inserted the disc I named '2218270665_0001' in the CD changer in the car and got an 'Unknown Format' on the screen in the car. Ignore that, and then hit F2... I think it asks for the reason for the change, you answer and, then...Voila... you have it!!!

In the car, you'll have the progress shown:

As others here have said, the process takes about 50 min. So, a battery charger is needed but, forget that BS about 30-40 amps... I held 12.8V with 8 amps indicated on the charger's LED readout....

12. When done, you get a screen indicating what has changed:

Pretty cool... You get Bird's eye view, audio in wma format, expanded PCMCIA capability and more... But, most importantly to me, new map capability, albeit, 2016 data...

13. All done, Right??? No f***ing way... You just FU'd your cold air conditioning and it will never work again unless you get back in DAS... You'll get this advice at the end of your Comand update:

14. Like a good German, I did as ordered and went to AAC and reprogrammed the control unit. It did update the software and it didn't ask for a CD, like Comand does... (Weird, when programming the AC control unit, the brake lights were activated... I guess no weirder than having to reprogram the AC control unit after programming Comand.)

I also looked at the German language website referred to in the pic above, but it was mostly about the virtues of MB and was of no help....

One might not even notice this SNAFU in December, but I'm in the tropics and, AC is a year-round necessity. I tested a running car and, no cold air from the AC...

Somewhere in the hidden maze of my regularly-lubricated-with-ETOH-brain, I recalled 'something' about 'magnetic clutch.' Here's the post I vaguely remembered from years ago:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-not-cold.html

Sure enough, in DAS, air conditioning>AAC>control unit adaptions is: 'Read Coding and Change, if necessary'. There's a tab for 'magnetic clutch' and you can set it 'off' or 'on'. Counter-intuitively, the Comand update sets it to 'ON'… WTF!!! The W221 doesn’t have a magnetic clutch!!! WHO KNEW?… Certainly not the people who made the damn car!!!

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Magnetic Clutch has to be reset to 'OFF'.

So, there you have it... Sort of...

I don't know if this helps but thought I'd share with the W221 community, who have helped me out a lot… Also, I tried to document my steps-- mostly with pics for my own memory-- but, I may have missed a couple or, included something that's not needed. However, I think it's all there....

But, I’m not being entirely altruistic-- I noticed the AAC needed an update, not that it needed it... Anyone know of any other control units that could be improved with reprogramming??? And, which ones should be left alone???

Now that I know how to ‘program’, I'm up for trying to screw something else up, like I did with my previously, perfectly-working Navi!!! (Note: the screw up of Navi occurred with the MB APPROVED DIY SOFTWARE and NOT with the DIY cloned DAS software, so I’m not taken the blame for the mistake... only for the ‘fix'... )

Regards from the Tropics... Stay warm and Safe…. Mark

The following 15 users liked this post by mcypert:
BOTUS (01-03-2021), dab (09-18-2023), DaleB (03-08-2021), Dekkaaa (11-16-2023), Diesel Benz (02-22-2022), dsenela (04-27-2021), Ellton (03-05-2021), hoosierscotts (02-24-2022), johnksss (07-16-2023), kbob999 (01-04-2021), Marius Vangen (04-22-2021), martinjcheetham (02-13-2024), riv-stage 1 (03-28-2021), vettebk (02-20-2022), Yonoyo (02-15-2023) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:36 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
Great work! Thanks for sharing
Old 01-03-2021, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 840 Likes on 704 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by mcypert
T(SIDEBAR: I’ve seen some other posts about the Pro’s and Con's of updating programming. All I can add is this: I was surprised to find that almost none of my car’s systems had been updated even with previous dealer service. And, the Telematics update must be done to make the last NAVI version work correctly. Others on the forum have said, if you don’t have “Bird’s-eye View” or “Video” on the Comand screen, you don’t have the Telematics update… But, you’ll know when you try to install the last NAVI update version.)
The world has moved on a bit...

Nothing on mine was ever updated, yet it was serviced exclusively by the supplying dealer, who is one of the most established premier dealerships in the UK. In fact they had such a reputation they used to do special mods including off the shelf supercharger kits for certain sporty ones in the 80's and early 90's. These are renowned across Europe and cars with them are exceptionally desirable.

I also live near the biggest BMW garage (recently became official alpina dealership), I asked they update my BM335d in 2014 they rang 6 times trying to put me off after the dolly bird innocently booked it in. Sat me down in an office with a master tech and dealer principle to say they don't want to do it. Explained they'd only ever done it on one other car and the owner didn't like what changed... Eventually plugged it in and printed off a report saying it was fully up to date. I said just do the update !!! They reluctantly did the job pushing the go button and charged 1 hrs labour. It was a vastly better car once all 37 modules had been updated in one go. Much faster, better MPG, the gearbox was transformed in to a good one and the Sat Nav worked better.

Unfortunately Mercedes like everyone except BMW, still do every single module as a one by one update process. My car has 50 separate modules and would be more than 24 hrs of chargeable work - Rather than the 1 hr BWM charge.

Half the fun is that mad way of doing updates one by one. What comes next is the exact reason BMW do it properly. When one module is completed another might then accepts a later update, once that's on the car, the original might then take yet another later update. So need to go round again etc. Its utter madness. Some modules impact another module, but the most current integration won't apply till a third module is updated. Thus it takes a lot of tech time and effort (and may introduce faults as they don't ever check if it has impacted other modules) so they mostly do none ever !!! Mercedes pretend each module doesn't impact another. That's just rubbish.

It took 3 years on my 221 before we did enough updates that one magically allowed the speedo cluster to accept an update it told us was available the first time we ever tried to do any updates in 2017... Sadly it still never brought the speedo MPH to KPH user menus I wanted.... even though all the software to swap back and forth correctly was part of the car from new.... However the last update to the Comand screen did some magic. The colours are slightly better and ever since my Autel diagnostic kit does a whole vehicle scan of all 50 modules in 6 minutes, when it used to take 35 minutes like it always did in the 4 years prior!!!

What should happen but NEVER does during a main dealer service.

Plug in to validate faults / confirm its dying exactly as designed. Then:
Update service records
Check for safety related software updates. They don't bother.
Check for engine or gearbox updates. They don't bother
Apply in car entertainment updates. They don't bother,
Then if a comand based car and inside 3 years, apply current sat nav maps. They don't bother.

Its funny on a BMW forum they have all been eagerly awaiting the 2020 Mid year software release waiting for some expected new features (android auto on I Drive for the first ever time). In the USA the guys were almost camping outside the dealerships for the update day... (BMW have 3 update release a year - and been doing it that way for more than 11 years).

Yet on your Merc if you beg you might get one module with some muddled garbage added on 10 years late. The major benefit of doing it the BM way is if they get it wrong, all cars are wrong so they know about it and resolve it. Merc just shug and point the way to the new car sales guy

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-03-2021 at 07:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BOTUS:
jmirgy (07-17-2022), Marius Vangen (04-22-2021), MBCO (01-06-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:06 AM
SPONSOR

Received 799 Likes on 618 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by BOTUS
The world has moved on a bit...

What should happen but NEVER does during a main dealer service.

Plug in to validate faults / confirm its dying exactly as designed. Then:
Update service records
Check for safety related software updates. They don't bother.
Check for engine or gearbox updates. They don't bother
Apply in car entertainment updates. They don't bother,
Then if a comand based car and inside 3 years, apply current sat nav maps. They don't bother.

They don't care as they can't charge for it
their policy = customer doesn't complain, we don't care

The following users liked this post:
JJKCMO (04-26-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Nice post !!!

Yep the idiots at Merc gave mine back with the AC off.
You should also have working TMC data that was never on USA car before the major update...
And the clock fix? I think you now need Polar Bear's fix (check the date in command if jammed on 2003 and you can't change it, try his Vespucci update - its a cut down one of what you just did, with a clock only bug fix for the April 2019 WNRO event)

Intrigued about what you car says now... there's another kind of status report for all modules and mine was just in for something and they claimed mine needs an update on the telematics however mine has always said

Comand software update 0014427060.2214424360 would be available for the vehicle, but it can not be used for the current control unit configuration
an unsuitable control unit is installed in the present control unit combination
the documentation of the control unit in the central system is faulty configuration

BUT all my stuff is current I even have that very same Firmware (boot SW) 2214424360 you just loaded and Merc put on in 2014

If you run that report for your car now what does your car say ?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:03 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks Guys:

Interesting… I checked my service records and found one entry for reprogramming on 25 March 2008!!! Body, engine and drivetrain…

I suspect, since DAS asked why I was updating Telematics, that there is a further record of updates in DAS somewhere. I plan to check and see if I can find where that might be stored???

But, yes, BOTUS, this is a screen pic I saved and it says it updated to 0024428060.2214424360 for "control unit COMAND".

Is that the last/latest?

I also have Polar Bear’s ISO clock fix but haven't installed it yet. I checked time and date today and it’s all correct.

And, yes, I have TMC but, I don’t think there's coverage in my area. "Traffic" in the menu just says, “No Messages.”

More useful is “Points of Interest” and 3-D image:

(just kidding)… Here’s what happened on 9 Dec 2020 a few miles south from me on the SpaceX Starship's-- almost safe-- landing, after it flew about 10 miles into the sky:

Seriously, the most useful feature in the Telematics update is the now functional "Disc/Radio" button on the console, which now goes to the PCMCIA card if that was where you last used AUDIO. You can toggle between seats, Navi and MP3 without using the Comand menu! Hardly worth the effort of updating just for that, but was always an annoyance.

Finally, I’m going to try an update of Distronic next. IIRC, some have said that is useful but to stay away from engine and tranny??? As BOTUS advised, and is proven with the ‘magnetic clutch’ SNAFU, updating may have a cascading effect. Back to the query at the end of the painfully-long post #1.... Which control modules will benefit from updates, and which should be left alone??? And, do I need updates beyond 2013 for my MY 2007 W221???

Thanks and Regards… Mark
dab (09-18-2023)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:07 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
T

Back to the query at the end of the painfully-long post #1.... Which control modules will benefit from updates, and which should be left alone??? And, do I need updates beyond 2013 for my MY 2007 W221???

Thanks and Regards… Mark
everything should be updated,
those who pretend that you should not update your car with fixes are wrong. nothing to discuss about, this is a fact
same way as Windows does updates to fix things
There is nothing that will go wrong with updating, things will only get better. update = fix

if you still don't want to accept this, then you may want to reduce the amount of pills you take

you should stay away if you don't know what you are doing

then the Command is a very different case than anything else on the car
it's more difficult
BTW, there is a 2019/2020 NTG3 map and update is available for W221 Euro cars
I didn't see this for North America
Do not compare the Command with other modules, its a different world

modules that get updates on this range are mainly trans, engine, brakes and command (sure I forgot one)

a experienced coder has no problems with anything as everything can be repaired and reverted with Vediamo
playing around might lead you to the dealer

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-04-2021 at 04:10 AM.
mcypert (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
TMC in the UK was originally only beamed out every 20 minutes.... they seem to have changed closer to every 10 mins these days (but still along way off live info). So if you just started the car TMC can take a while to understand the world then it will probably pick stuff up. It will bring in the marching yellow or red ants Cars and No entry signs if you zoom out to busy areas with issues

Don't update the Radars.... its WORSE. It does NOTHING other than make the brakes come in far too late and eventually just enough to miss a crash, but 9 out of 10 times you'll bottle it and brake first. Before it was the world's best chauffeur under braking and 2 clicks back on the stalk and it copes OK on the gas round town too.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
There's only the ABR (distronic related update that's 2011 and its worse and reintroduces a bug (about knocking noise in he footwell with it dithering about on the pedal using cruise in town).

Either the old boys that designed the 221 around 2003 to 2005 had all retired by 2009 and the new 3 year olds just never understood it....
Or
Mercedes deliberately write buggy software to degrade their cars to encourage you to buy a later one

ONLY do Engine and gearbox to 2008 and the door modules and Telematics. Everything else makes the car worse !!!!
Its literally like ANY facelift stuff so any SW number 221900 should NEVER go on the early cars is just rot that makes it worse.

I just added this edit on the iPod thread

EDIT Jan 1 2020 - It was my imagination there are THREE separate ideas to Mute the sound source and allow TMC or NAV voice overlay. TMC remains unbroken as its within itself created and played back inside the TTU (the AMP, mostly called the AGW on early cars but is a TTU on official Merc documentation on the w221). But the Nav overlay starts life in the Comand and gets killed with a software update. And it happens because Mercedes don't actually understand how they built the cars. Here's why?

Type 1: User instigated adjustment of the source mute differential for voice overlay. Never knew the car had this vital feature. The user Menus to adjust are NOT part of the car. Nor are they documented or described in the User owners manual. But it is referred to in the official workshop documentation. Here it wrongly states this user choice is on the Comand unit (it is NOT). However remnants of this feature can be found by the user and the effect detected in diagnostics but with NO change in volume level.

To test the obsolete/missing feature: When a Nav overlay message is playing. Press the Comand knob down and you find haptic feedback limiting your options to 5 positions (left or right). However it always reverts to the centre position regardless of operator choice. Complete the same operation without Nav overlay and there is NO restriction to the knob's movement. If you complete this test when connected to the COU in diagnostics you can see this action is registered by the vehicle in volume control signals. Whether its broken with the same SCN software update that kills the Source mute for voice overlay, I'm not sure. I suspect it was a feature considered during the vehicle's development and then forgotten as they moved to a more sophisticated idea (with signals from the ABS, OCP, SAM-H and TTU). And remains part baked in buggy software from build. However with Mercedes still believing this feature is there and working it could be why a SCN instigated Rear SAM update they force, breaks all the early cars they put it on. As it's actually an update for facelift NTG3.5 vehicles they believe is compatible with early cars but definitely isn't.

Type 2: Automatic very well judged source mute for voice overlay at ANY volume level with no user adjustment. My car had this and it worked exceptionally well for 4 years. I believe regardless of road speed or ambient noise inside the car the level of Mute was almost perfectly judged. As was SDVC. Had this feature been in conjunction with Type 1 any user could find exactly what they wanted . I wonder if a Comand update during the vehicles lifecycle, removed Type 1 to replace exclusively with a newly developed Type 2 ? If it was in the manual and no longer on the car this makes sense. But as its in workshop data and not on the car or the user manual, I suspect they created two methods during development and forgot to remove one of them. And as I state above, I think Mercedes believe the user still has that choice (and or the user menu option to have voice fade within Comand options that you get with NTG3.5 Nav functions) and thus still don't realise NTG3.5 software on an early car breaks them !!!

Type 3: Very high Vol setting, source die back for voice overlay (I believe always worked before or after any software updates). But as Type 2 should work you never knew the car had this feature. It seems to come in to play over 80% vol and mutes the source by about 40%. Where if Type 2 wasn't broken it would die back nicely to about 20%. Thus Type 3 can still leave the source at 60% Vol when a TMC or Nav overlay cuts in, which is insufficient to be effective. But is a noticeable change.

The level of the source or the TMC or the NAV remains user adjustable when the action is in play. Before or after Mercedes vandalise the car with a faulty software update

Old 01-04-2021, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
everything should be updated,
those who pretend that you should not update your car with fixes are wrong. nothing to discuss about, this is a fact
same way as Windows does updates to fix things
There is nothing that will go wrong with updating, things will only get better. update = fix
I would agree 100% on ANY other make of car, and on the 221 with any update that was developed during the cars life time.

But facelift software is utter crap and ruins the vehicle and breaks features... I have a lot of experience of this and NONE of the 221900xxx stuff is an improvement, but plenty of it makes the car drive worse, work worse and play up when it was 100% Ok before
mcypert (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:36 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I would agree 100% on ANY other make of car, and on the 221 with any update that was developed during the cars life time.

But facelift software is utter crap and ruins the vehicle and breaks features... I have a lot of experience of this and NONE of the 221900xxx stuff is an improvement, but plenty of it makes the car drive worse, work worse and play up when it was 100% Ok before
I am always open for argumentation and nobody can be certain 100%
so I propose that instead of spreading info so wide and unclear
that You or others post a precise example with Module Name, Update version and proof of what has gone wrong

Until we do not have any of this, with more than 3 people at least with the same results, these accusations should be hold as "no proof"
Do not take it personally, I see you try to help, thank you for that !
Until proof is on the table from multiple sources, anyone should trust in "Update Your Software"
software has been made to fix, not to make worse, MB are great engineers, S class is the top

Post a thread on a specific case, detailed, with evidence, and from multiple members

EDIT: I have done tons of W221's as my members get free updates. I always update all modules, never a issue
Also important is that I use 2020 Xentry with 2020 updates database and online scn when required

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-04-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BenzNinja:
Ellton (03-05-2021), jmirgy (07-17-2022)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
ABR
SW 11.17
FW 2219029502
MB 2215455232

ruins braking from perfection when using cruise, to nasty and brings knocking brake pedal that was one of the first fixes ever released back in 2007

R SAM
SW09.43
FW 221902903
MB 2215454832

adds no value, appears to be the driver behind the Source falling to mute for Nav overlay that it once did perfectly

either ACC
SW 10.44
FW2219024202
MB 221870091

and or UCP
SW 10.07
FW 2219021102

utter catastrophe doesn't work less air, for more noise, with random temps most of the time. was perfect

DSP
SW 11.05

stopped working straightaway, found an air leak fixed it, replaced a module still useless, was ok

JJKCMO (04-26-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:14 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
thx !
very interesting, hope that other users can confirm, then we have a case
I will upgrade these too and see if they go wrong, its easy to revert anyway
what is the model and year ?
JJKCMO (04-26-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
221 171 S500L Nov 2006 build (550 in USA world)

the DSP I meant had issues ever since, but I had bits of kit play up

and I think ABR may only goes on after other stuff current
DTR Radar SW07.37 FW 221420956
SGR radars SW08.20 FW 2214424432 and FW 2214422432 (these took 5 goes for the programming to take looping round retrying till happy)

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-04-2021 at 11:17 AM.
JJKCMO (04-26-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:14 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
221 171 S500L Nov 2006 build (550 in USA world)

the DSP I meant had issues ever since, but I had bits of kit play up

and I think ABR may only goes on after other stuff current
DTR Radar SW07.37 FW 221420956
SGR radars SW08.20 FW 2214424432 and FW 2214422432 (these took 5 goes for the programming to take looping round retrying till happy)
thx
Old 01-05-2021, 01:26 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks Guys:

Anyone else have a recommendation?

I already reprogrammed AAC as DAS said:

And, so far, have not noticed any change, but it's winter here-- 20C. I still had to reset 'magnetic clutch' to 'OFF' to get R134 to flow. As said in Post #1, I found it weird that DAS apparently applied the brakes, i.e. brake lights came on, when doing the AAC. Makes one wonder what all was changed with AAC update???

One more question, if I may, can you go back to an earlier coding with an earlier SDflash? I coded with 2012-11, but have 2008-10. In other words, will DAS ask if you want to revert to older software and carry out older programming in 'offline mode'? If I can, "deprogram", I'll act as guinea pig....

Regards... Mark
Old 01-05-2021, 01:28 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
You can downgrade software with vediamo. I’m not sure whether is possible to downgrade software with das.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:19 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by artim808
You can downgrade software with vediamo. I’m not sure whether is possible to downgrade software with das.
this is correct
and NOT possible with Xentry / das

and I do not recommend any amateur to play around with vediamo
you can brick your module easy
Old 01-05-2021, 11:32 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks again guys:

Here's what I can report. The 2012-11 SDflash does indeed have the CFF file numbers "221902****" (I assume these are the firmware/ software programming that BOTUS warns against). The the 2008-10 SDflash does not have the 221902**** files. I haven't verified it yet but, since I used 2012-11 SFflash to program AAC, I'm assuming it used FW: 2219024202 (Again, as BOTUS warned against using for ACC in post # 12). IIRC, a/c programming is 'Air conditioning>AAC>Adaptions>control module programming', which I did only because DAS said to do that in the pic in post # 16, after updating Telematics!!! That did not set the 'magnetic clutch' to "off", which, IIRC, is in 'Air conditioning>AAC>Adaptions>Read coding and change if necessary'. (BTW, 'Read coding' allows a lot, and I mean a lot, of changes, without 'programming' and, might remedy the "catastrophe" BOTUS described in post #12.)

In summary, I've only updated programming on the a/c and nothing else so far. So far, I haven't noticed any difference but, it's that time of year that heat or cooling aren't much needed in my area....

Up next, I'm going to load 2008-10 SDflash and see what it says about programming. As mentioned in post #1, service records show body, engine and tranny update 25 Mar 2008 at the dealer. So maybe I'm done.... BOTUS says not to update Distronics/ABR with 2219029502-- any other opinions??? That was my next move before I asked about it here....

For those just wanting DIY Telematics Update, I think everything said in post #1 is still accurate.

Thank again to all for sharing... Regards... Mark
Old 01-06-2021, 05:49 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
great write up
Old 01-06-2021, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
The DTR change was probably the worst mistake (I think we did ABR at the same time and they must be linked in the way they operate either way)

Original software behaviours:

Note there is quite a contrast between C and S as this DOES impact distance cruise behaviour, the suspension and gearbox,
S makes cruise kickdown to gain 5mph and acts in road rage mode which is trying on longer journeys,
C is a fairly irritating elastic band of meandering distance (would be clever if they got it right - BM don't do this and its better, but I think I can see why Merc tried),
Misreads other traffic from other lanes, mostly fixed by manually realigning the radar and nothing changes in either software itteration,
Traffic can be a catastrophe, much worse than a learner badly handling the clutch and kangarooing, its caused by the point below,
Throttle application in C or S using distance cruise is by a very badly judged leaded footed amateur. It Rips it every time (creating more pollution, wastes fuel and even does it at low speed when the radar can see there a vehicle there!), You can tame the madness in traffic and eliminate the mess by leaving the distance adjustment 2 or 3 clicks back from closest. Then its almost perfect and I almost always never touch it.
(but if in angry commuter world with heavy traffic on a highway, lots of idiots will fill the gap and you go backwards),
Braking is uncannily excellent, beautifully judged perfection, ease off and drifts to a halt like a real chauffer, seldom forgets what to do and can see stopped traffic from 150m and slow calmly !!!!!

After both DTR and ABR updated:

ABR beeps twice and more frequently - I don't care don't even notice,
Makes zero difference to how the radar and the car behave re traffic from other lanes,

The difference between S and C behaviour is less noticable (harder to detect a change, but still kicks down pointlessly to regain 7mph in C or S),
Throttle action transformed from 20% too much to 10% too little and is more irritating than the wrong original software, it leaves you holding up other traffic all the time, and sometimes not enough to get up a hill till it wakes up having lost 10mph. But oddly it doesn't really help in traffic at all. Still needs the 2 or 3 click back to calm it down. (if in heavy traffic all the time would probably be fractionally better) but its so much worse everywhere else you don't want it.
Braking is totally ruined and now very dangerous. From perfection to total incompetence. It forgets to brake at all 9 out of 10 times and when it does just about gets the car to a scruffy incompetent stop. It will still scare you most of the time. 2 years in you still often think it’s not going to react and most times it behaves exactly like that. It pushes the envelope to the point where it may not be able to apply enough braking to stop the car safely in many situations. And now often completely forgets to do anything if approaching stopped vehicles,

A major driver here I believe maybe a user choice after one of those updates. But no garage wants to check for the setting to fix it. I remember when we did one of those two updates it asked what range do you want during final set up!

Before the distance display in the cluster was a very long range and even in town it showed a big gap to a car in front. As we wanted to get throttle and traffic behaviour better, we decided to try the "other range" setting. The cluster immediately shows a stupid graphic where its interpretation is always incorrect. When two yards away its shows you have almost hit the car in front with a 1 inch gap showing (Where the original setting shows what’s more like a 3 yard gap on the long range setting - and was never unrealistic as it is at all times on the graphic now).

I also wonder if this range setting is part of the undesirable brake and throttle change… before it would see stuff further away on a highway and react better and early (it was far safer – and never wrong) and approaching stopped traffic at the end of an off ramp it saw and reacted nicely. Now most times it doesn't bother to do anything at all and if you wait to see if it will manage to react coming at them >60mph, you have to ready to manually do a full on ABS stop to save the crash. Old software it always worked well.

And then last once in mildly heavy rain, I got the whole system shut down for 20 minutes saying rain is too heavy might interfere I'm baling on you ! Leaving with no cruise at all and only came back to life when the rain had almost stopped. Never had that before in far worse conditions - on old software it never lost the plot.

No one I talk too thinks any of what I wrote happened, but it 100% did, I've had it 5 years, 3 years on the old stuff it was vastly superior. I would love someone to find where that range setting is? We did look in the cluster once but can't find it

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-21-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:59 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Many thanks again guys:

Here's a further report: I can confirm (as Ninja said), once you update, you can't go back with DAS. Here's what happened when I tried to 'deprogram' with SDflash 2008-10 after I did AAC with SDflash 2012-11:

So software version 2219024202 for a/c is where it shall stay. Interestingly, when you hit F2, you get this question:

Kind of blurry, but it's asking about the 'Magnetic clutch', which has to be set 'NO' after you update Telematics, as described in post #1. This experiment was to see if you can use an older software programming after an update... So, if you don't like what a new program does to your machine, you're SOL... At least, I couldn't find a method to revert...

Next, I used SDflash 2008-10 to see what may happen to ABR (Distronic) if I wanted to update:

It wants to update to software version 2219029502_001.

(Note, although it say's DAS version 2014-09, it is in fact using SDflash 2008-10 because of the "profi_cd.ini" date change discussed in post #1.)

BOTUS, 2219029502_001 is the update you are so unhappy with, correct?

The interesting bit here is, this is the 2008 update!!! So, the moral of the story is, you can't go back and you can't go forward when it comes to updating... I chose F4 (NO) and called it 'good'... Any further comments welcome...

Regards... Mark
Old 01-07-2021, 07:20 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
use kill xentry switch if stuck on that last screen
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Many thanks again guys:

Here's a further report: I can confirm (as Ninja said), once you update, you can't go back with DAS. Here's what happened when I tried to 'deprogram' with SDflash 2008-10 after I did AAC with SDflash 2012-11:

So software version 2219024202 for a/c is where it shall stay. Interestingly, when you hit F2, you get this question:

Kind of blurry, but it's asking about the 'Magnetic clutch', which has to be set 'NO' after you update Telematics, as described in post #1. This experiment was to see if you can use an older software programming after an update... So, if you don't like what a new program does to your machine, you're SOL... At least, I couldn't find a method to revert...

Next, I used SDflash 2008-10 to see what may happen to ABR (Distronic) if I wanted to update:

It wants to update to software version 2219029502_001.

(Note, although it say's DAS version 2014-09, it is in fact using SDflash 2008-10 because of the "profi_cd.ini" date change discussed in post #1.)

BOTUS, 2219029502_001 is the update you are so unhappy with, correct?

Regards... Mark
any software that's 2219xx xxxx comes from 2009 cars as far as I can see

ABR
SW 11.17
FW 2219029502 (was 2214420653 dated 05:29)
MB 2215455232

DTR
SW 07.33
FW 2214420956 (was 2164420400 dated 05.26)
MB 2215400417

the range of the radar would be great to know where its hidden

and the R SAM change that seems to have broken Source mute for Nav Overlay, is

R SAM
SW 09.43
FW 2219024903 was (2214421300 dated 06.04)
MB 2215454832

Current part 2215458532 originally ran 2214422600 SW07.20 and so should work with the last F SAM of 2006 vintage without issue as newer than the front... but Xentry says you need to update

Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
in 2011 UK TV did an article on modern cars with active brake / distance cruise. They had a Volvo, a VW and an S class

the VW was low speed traffic only
the Volvo missed everything
the 2011 S class hit everything

but I just worked it out.... when I first watched the video I was on my old good software, I thought that's odd in those conditions I think mine would miss it. But if it doesn't did they RUSH out a bodge fix to try and resolve …. hence why we have SW 2011 FW 2219029502 but sadly they made it worse !!!

I just realised... I think mine would have missed it… but the CRAP software I have on the car now would hit it every time just like the video does!!!

So either they changed it during the vehicles life and made it worse and or mine was set at long range and as std they are set short range and it hits things... I'm not referring to the user controllable gap on the stalk. I'm on about a special change in Radar behaviour using dealer tools. FYI the manual does say the car ONLY uses 40% of available braking when using cruise (...to avoid litigation from cars hitting you up the back).

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-07-2021 at 03:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY