S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Ordering parts online

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
2007 S600
Ordering parts online

If you search for places to order Mercedes-Benz parts, you'll get dozens of hits. Many lead to web sites that look very, very similar -- and for good reason. They're generally sites run by the same company (Revolution Parts) for various Mercedes-Benz dealers. Sometimes there's a contact page or some other place that identifies the dealer, sometimes not. I have ordered several times from mbpartsource.com, which happens to be Mercedes-Benz of Laredo. Great people to deal with. Unfortunately, for some reason neither I nor they can figure out, I'm now unable to place an order -- regardless of what payment method I use, I get a "cart error" when I try to pay. This persists no matter what web browser (I have three on my PC), device (PC, Android, iPhone), or payment method (PayPal, three different credit cards) I have tried. As a result, I no longer order from them. Which is too bad, I like them, and they're cheap. Plus they're in Texas, so your parts arrive with a little extra swagger.

But there are others. Their parts prices and shipping charges vary widely. In researching a specific part I'm about to order, out of curiosity I checked out 10 different web sites. All are nearly identical as far as content. However, the cost of the part (an intercooler Y-pipe) ranged from $60.39 at the low end, to the full $90 retail price at the high end. Surprisingly, the actual mbusa.com web site was NOT the highest price, and in fact was not bad, and their shipping cost was the lowest.

The shipping charge is where some of them really tried to gouge a few extra bucks. The lowest shipping cost was $8.41 to me, and the highest was $21.75! That's to ship a small, half-pound part by the slowest means possible. Anyway, the overall total for the order came up to $69.37 at the low end, and $106.85 at the highest -- over a 50% difference. You really have to do your research on this stuff. By checking these places out, you can determine whether you're like me (order from the least expensive source) or one of those who take some sort of perverse pride in spending as much as possible on your parts. Of course I'm sure I could go to my local dealer's parts counter and buy the same part at full retail, plus sales tax, and probably wait the same amount of time to get the part.

The following 8 users liked this post by DaleB:
carlosinseattle (12-08-2022), doni01 (06-04-2023), Fried Chicken (03-19-2023), Glowering (04-04-2021), MikeKerr7 (04-06-2021), riv-stage 1 (04-04-2021), Solo wing (04-15-2021), vettebk (04-05-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Cool beans... for the most part we’re talking a $10 savings. Yea, shop around.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 s550 4matic
interesting analysis, thanks for summarizing and sharing this
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (03-19-2023)
Old 04-04-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
I'll add, the cheapest for me in CT has been a dealership out of CA even with shipping in many cases: https://www.mercedesbenzstarparts.com/

If I can't wait or the item/s are of low value, then better off at the local dealership (call in or revolution parts online) + 6.35% tax. If I can wait and/or the value is high, then the CA dealership has been great.
pierrejoliat (05-13-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
I use https://mbparts.mbusa.com/ when comparing to the cheapest price online and the only thing I have noticed is you have to purchase it "online" to get the cheap price even though the dealer are local. A dealer 15 miles from another dealer could have an online price significantly cheaper.

They won't allow me to pick up and get the same price because I would have to pay the full higher price at the counter. Shipping is only 1 day though so not a big deal.
vettebk (03-19-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 11:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by DaleB
If you search for places to order Mercedes-Benz parts, you'll get dozens of hits. Many lead to web sites that look very, very similar -- and for good reason. They're generally sites run by the same company (Revolution Parts) for various Mercedes-Benz dealers. Sometimes there's a contact page or some other place that identifies the dealer, sometimes not. I have ordered several times from mbpartsource.com, which happens to be Mercedes-Benz of Laredo. Great people to deal with. Unfortunately, for some reason neither I nor they can figure out, I'm now unable to place an order -- regardless of what payment method I use, I get a "cart error" when I try to pay. This persists no matter what web browser (I have three on my PC), device (PC, Android, iPhone), or payment method (PayPal, three different credit cards) I have tried. As a result, I no longer order from them. Which is too bad, I like them, and they're cheap. Plus they're in Texas, so your parts arrive with a little extra swagger.

But there are others. Their parts prices and shipping charges vary widely. In researching a specific part I'm about to order, out of curiosity I checked out 10 different web sites. All are nearly identical as far as content. However, the cost of the part (an intercooler Y-pipe) ranged from $60.39 at the low end, to the full $90 retail price at the high end. Surprisingly, the actual mbusa.com web site was NOT the highest price, and in fact was not bad, and their shipping cost was the lowest.

The shipping charge is where some of them really tried to gouge a few extra bucks. The lowest shipping cost was $8.41 to me, and the highest was $21.75! That's to ship a small, half-pound part by the slowest means possible. Anyway, the overall total for the order came up to $69.37 at the low end, and $106.85 at the highest -- over a 50% difference. You really have to do your research on this stuff. By checking these places out, you can determine whether you're like me (order from the least expensive source) or one of those who take some sort of perverse pride in spending as much as possible on your parts. Of course I'm sure I could go to my local dealer's parts counter and buy the same part at full retail, plus sales tax, and probably wait the same amount of time to get the part.

Originally Posted by WHPH28
I use https://mbparts.mbusa.com/ when comparing to the cheapest price online and the only thing I have noticed is you have to purchase it "online" to get the cheap price even though the dealer are local. A dealer 15 miles from another dealer could have an online price significantly cheaper.

They won't allow me to pick up and get the same price because I would have to pay the full higher price at the counter. Shipping is only 1 day though so not a big deal.
Sounds like the way to go since mbusa is the official site.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:57 AM

Received 336 Likes on 210 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by WHPH28

I've had good luck w/ these guys, also. I live nearby, so shipping is fast, too. For what I've purchased, they seem to usually have the best combination of price + ship.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:48 AM

Received 317 Likes on 216 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
Thanks, Dale. Very nice comparison.
doni01 (06-04-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:13 PM

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I've gotten engine mounts and few other parts from MB online.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DaleB

Old-ish thread, but I had the same cart error from MBpartsource. Using incognito mode in Chrome allowed me to proceed with the purchase.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Kaybee365
Old-ish thread, but I had the same cart error from MBpartsource. Using incognito mode in Chrome allowed me to proceed with the purchase.
I wonder if it has to do with cookies.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:28 AM

Received 336 Likes on 210 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I've used the store in Nebraska, as I mentioned above. They are friendly--when I can manage to get ahold of them. The old person would reply to me about 10% of the time...the new person about 50% of the time. Does anyone have a discount OEM place where the customer service is also good and more importantly reliable? Like, maybe once a month, I've got a question about availability or something, and I'd like to find out. It's not like I'm pinging the parts counter every day.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 651 Likes on 448 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
My local dealer told me what their parts website was (I don't think I ever would have found it by searching). Their prices are pretty discounted from MSRP/counter, and I don't pay shipping costs. For me this is almost always the cheapest source of OEM parts. FCP is pretty much always more expensive but does add the warranty.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kevm14
My local dealer told me what their parts website was (I don't think I ever would have found it by searching). Their prices are pretty discounted from MSRP/counter, and I don't pay shipping costs. For me this is almost always the cheapest source of OEM parts. FCP is pretty much always more expensive but does add the warranty.
They need to offset the "lifetime" parts replacement cost so their prices tend to be higher, if you are keeping your vehicle for a while it will be worth it for example.