S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 Mass Air Flow Sensor and ABS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDD221
W221 Mass Air Flow Sensor and ABS

Engine check light(MIL), ABS and ESP lights are turned on, i brought the car to local Mercedes dealer, after running diagnostic they suggest me to change all wheel speed sensor, Spark Plugs, Ignition coil and mass airflow sensor.
Do i need to reprogram the car after mass airflow sensor ?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
I had the same lights come on. Diagnosed as Speed Sensor failure on passenger side. I replaced both sides in front, $25 each on-line. Take the wheel off, 2 clips and disconnect. EZ diy, no programming, resets required. Once the new sensor starts working (on your test drive) the lights go out.

Too me, the other things quoted are "extra" and not needed for this light (unless you have additional fault codes, that is). Would not be the first time a dealer "grossed up the invoice" by adding unnecessary items.

Ask to see the exact diagnostic codes that were produced by their MB Star Xentry system before any repairs or parts are purchased.

I do not thing a MAF needs programming, but not 100% on this. Normally coding is required on engine/tranny and some anti-theft parts (ignition, etc.).
Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
Before you replace the sensor

Take the wheels off and take the sensor out and look closely at the reluctor ring.....the oem brake pads are very soft and i have had it twice that the dust filled some holes and after driving through some standing water it clogged the holes and the sensor did not see correctly. Cleaned the sensor and the ring and everything was fine again.

Ultimately i changed to akebono pads and it never happened again.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
MBCO (07-27-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:28 PM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
S350 2008
Originally Posted by PillDrive
Before you replace the sensor

Take the wheels off and take the sensor out and look closely at the reluctor ring.....the oem brake pads are very soft and i have had it twice that the dust filled some holes and after driving through some standing water it clogged the holes and the sensor did not see correctly. Cleaned the sensor and the ring and everything was fine again.

Ultimately i changed to akebono pads and it never happened again.

Good luck
Thank a lot for your advice, as mu car also encountered with ABS sensors error quite often, the strange thing is that problem is gone with the new sensors replaced even I not clean reluctor ring and after few months problem is back, perhaps new sensors is more magnet sensitive compare to the old one.

I will clean the reluctor ring and hope it help.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
r129
Same here. Even the gearbox didn't work anymore. 4 new wheelspeed sensors did the trick,

New MAF doesn't need recoding.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
I would also recommend pulling the speed sensor and squirting brake cleaner into the whole while turning the disc along with switching to Akebono pads.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by david.richard
Engine check light(MIL), ABS and ESP lights are turned on, i brought the car to local Mercedes dealer, after running diagnostic they suggest me to change all wheel speed sensor, Spark Plugs, Ignition coil and mass airflow sensor.
Do i need to reprogram the car after mass airflow sensor ?
As others have already mentioned it probably is just a wheel speed sensor. Ask the dealer to show you which sensor is bad unless it already reads in the paperwork they gave you against the money you paid.

I had this happen just a couple of months ago. It is in thread “Christmas tree lit up” in this forum. My problem was the front left wheel speed sensor and it made errors in half dozen different control modules in the car. That is why you have many things disabled with just one sensor. I have the iCarsoft scanner and in each module where there was an error code it mentioned the left front wheel speed sensor so I replaced it and problem is gone.

The only thing that makes sense in your dealer’s suggestion is to replace all four sensors as they may just start “popping” one-by-one after the first one went out. Rest of it is them just creating business for themselves from unnecessary work on the car.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDD221
Thank you guys for all replies, i changed rear wheel speed sensors of both sides and one ignition coil (My OBD Spotted it) and all lights gone