S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

No AUX on S class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S class W221
No AUX on S class

Hi all

I have a 2007 SClass W221 and got an android unit that runs apple car play. The installer only realised when installing that there is no AUX on my car.
He advised to use FM transmitter with an AUX cable input but there is a high pitched whine / hum . I know FM transmitters scan give issues but this is quite noticeable and annoying to use.

I’m dropping the car to my garage for them to look at it and try solve the issue.

I have seen online that you can add an AUX connection but not sure how reliable they are, I suppose anything is better then the current situation

I have ordered a new AUX CABLE & ground loop isolator ( I’m not even sure if this will work)

ZIOCOM Ground Loop Noise Isolator, Noise Filter, Eliminate the Buzzing Noise for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable https://amzn.eu/d/akEOvzs

I have read that it needs grounding due to alternator in the car but I honestly don’t know

I have added pic of the new screen

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 08-05-2023, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
there is Aux - but its not displayed on early cars - nor has any cables to connect too - so you don't know its there - 20 mins start to finish with dealer kit to make it show up
Old 08-05-2023, 01:51 PM

S class W221
Originally Posted by BOTUS
there is Aux - but its not displayed on early cars - nor has any cables to connect too - so you don't know its there - 20 mins start to finish with dealer kit to make it show up

ah yeah I heard there is a hidden AUX setting you need to access through the engineer menu.
my main issue is there doesn’t seem to be a physical aux input in the glove box or centre console

The only thing in centre console is for Bluetooth phone adaptor

Old 08-05-2023, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
nope - the UHI in the centre console is phone mono sound only - u need to plug some wires in the back of the comand unit

post #24 ....therefore I have used pin 6 as ground and 5 and 15 as Left and Right and the quality of sound is now beautiful... and the volume is now normal

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ries-work.html

Old 08-05-2023, 06:13 PM

S class W221
Originally Posted by BOTUS
nope - the UHI in the centre console is phone mono sound only - u need to plug some wires in the back of the comand unit

post #24 ....therefore I have used pin 6 as ground and 5 and 15 as Left and Right and the quality of sound is now beautiful... and the volume is now normal

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ries-work.html

many thanks for that link to your original post. I’m sorry to find across stupid and I’m it very technical but you mentioned dealer activating the AUX option in 20 mins. What’s the exact procedure I need to tell them to do

also if I take a photo from the back of my MEKEDE car play system would that help in getting my problem solved as well

Once again thanks for your help
Old 08-06-2023, 01:17 AM

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
Do you have the ipod 20pin connector in the glove compartment?
Old 08-06-2023, 03:32 AM

S class W221
Originally Posted by cruiser02
Do you have the ipod 20pin connector in the glove compartment?
no the glove box is totally empty nothing at all
Old 08-06-2023, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
there was an optional iPod box that sits under the comand unit (NTG3.0) and links to the comand wiring plug in that link above - the apple 30 pin plug then comes out a hole you drill in the inner most side of the glove box

then you can get a bluetooth thing for it - and with the box you have in the centre console, you thus get BT phone via UHI and BT music via the iPod lead with another gadget AKA tune2air from Viseeo now Bovee the right one for these early Mercs is the WWA1000
Note the iPod optional box puts stuff on the speedo for basic navigation of the unit

Then about a year later they moved to providing RCA phono connectors in the glovebox - but as far as I know there is no way to view anything you just hear it ?

then after sept 2009 the comand unit was swapped for one (NTG3.5) that looks the same and has nearly all the same functionality - except they moved to a grown up way to add junk via propitiatory wires with a funny merc plug in the glove box and real Bluetooth (BT) for the phone inside the comand unit

in todays world don't waste time - go the route of an addon box that does USB, caprplay, andriod nasty and BT phone and BT music etc.

NOTE, its worth checking the date displayed in the ENG menus of your comand unit - there's a CD to put the date right - then the clock goes back to normal

in the clock fix post https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...me-issues.html buried in the files for making an update CD disc in post #137, is instructions to get at the ENG menu of the comand - there are actually slightly later easier instructions - you really just need the cursor to be in the setting menu - then enter the made combination of comand knob favourites etc. - you don't need to turn the comand on or off. Some people hope (and it is there other model mercs), you might find how to enable Aux in these hidden menus - DON'T fiddle with stuff you don't understand....

I don't think Aux is there to turn on for the w221 - but you may as well check for this number (see pic) - if it says Release 422 then the date and times is wrong / random - if you have a mid 2007 car you need the later file to make an update disc on post #264 (it covers a couple of mid run units the original disc muddled and thus will not update)

If its earlier than 422 then there is a major update for the comand it needs from 2008

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-06-2023 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Luckycharms_74 (08-06-2023)