S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 Parking Brake Switch Illumination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 10:21 AM

Location: In a national park (forest) just outside of Warsaw, Poland
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S-Class W221
W221 Parking Brake Switch Illumination

When I turn the lights on the parking brake switch illumination (in the switch, not on the dash) flashes on and off a few times then goes off. This gets registered in my C4 as error 5700 in component S76/15 which is the switch. The parking brake itself works perfectly. Seems obvious and a simple fix, replace the switch. I didn't see the need to spend lots of cash on a new unit so I got a second-hand one. The same thing happens. OK so I was unlucky, got another one. Same thing again. Am I just really unlucky or could something else be faulty? If i'm really unlucky then maybe the lamp in this unit is rubbish and I'll splash the cash on a new one. The flashing is sort of odd but if the lamp is an LED I can understand it as the driver could have failed.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 906 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
I think its supposed to flash - it tells you something, forget what.... I see mine do it at times (I don't and have never had a fault related to this flashing behaviour)

what's the handbook say? is it saying ready to self disengage as u drive off - LOTS of fun when ABS sensors die (which is a normal feature of the car)
Old 03-07-2024, 11:04 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Thanks for the reply. I've had a good look in the manual; it's silent. Just to be clear this is the switch illumination light not the dashboard lights; these are on or off depending on the state of the brake and could well flash. I rarely use the parking brake so I can't be sure about that. It's pretty unimportant as its a switch I never look at (i'm impressed that you do) but I'm still building up to having a go at updating the telemetrics so I was trying to clear all the error codes first (i'm still plagued by an error in a radar sensor, which propagates a whole raft of other messages, but that's a whole other story). I think what I'll do is take on of the switches apart to see what is inside. Maybe the LED driver is in the switch.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:16 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Just found this; it's the light with the "P" and the brake shoes surrounding it; should be on when instrument lighting is on.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I think the flashing is saying I'm on - but you are in a driving mode / conditions that 's going to make me turn off (if you drive away) - illumination is nothing to do with flashing to says some condition is / isn't met
Old 03-07-2024, 11:46 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hmmm. Maybe but the flashing happens with engine off (brake on or off) and when the lights are turned on. Pretty sure its a fault in the LED illumination and I'm just unlucky to get 2 duff switches. I think I'll try to persuade my local dealer to get a new unit on the understanding that I'll buy it if the illumination comes on and stays on.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
OK maybe its

I'm NOT On you moron - but you have the door open and are fiddling about - MAYBE (as in if you could drive...) I should be On already...
Old 03-07-2024, 12:30 PM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Could someone please check? That might be the easiest way to figure out if this is a problem or not (if its not then there might be something wrong with the brake but it seems OK ). Does the switch illumination come on with the lights? Does it stay on when driving? Does it flash under certain circumstances? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to have a look for me!
Old 03-07-2024, 04:18 PM

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by martinjcheetham
Could someone please check? That might be the easiest way to figure out if this is a problem or not (if its not then there might be something wrong with the brake but it seems OK ). Does the switch illumination come on with the lights? Does it stay on when driving? Does it flash under certain circumstances? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to have a look for me!
Just checked for you and it comes on when the lights are turned on. It also stays on. Below is a pic...

Old 03-07-2024, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the question was under which circumstances does it flash... its does but I forget why
Old 03-08-2024, 02:05 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi, great photo; thanks. I'm pretty sure now that I managed to get 2 duff replacements. In my searches I also found some posts (not w221) where Mercedes have omitted the LEDs on some light switches (to save money!) and people have soldered on the missing LEDs to get illumination at all switch positions. This tells me that Mercedes does use LEDs in these switches and that the circuitry is inside the switch. It can therefore fail. Looks like I'll have to buy a genuine new one as this lamp appears to have a limited life.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Check the ashtray light. The bulb burned out 99%
The following users liked this post:
WRC-LVR (03-14-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 05:58 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Originally Posted by martinjcheetham
Hi, great photo; thanks. I'm pretty sure now that I managed to get 2 duff replacements. In my searches I also found some posts (not w221) where Mercedes have omitted the LEDs on some light switches (to save money!) and people have soldered on the missing LEDs to get illumination at all switch positions. This tells me that Mercedes does use LEDs in these switches and that the circuitry is inside the switch. It can therefore fail. Looks like I'll have to buy a genuine new one as this lamp appears to have a limited life.
I have an update. After trying 4 second hand switches I finally gave up and asked my Mercedes dealer to investigate. They wanted £40 for the work which I reluctantly agreed to. Of course they then ordered a brand new switch; same problem! In fairness to Mercedes they didn't charge me for the work for the switch but the illumination still doesn't work. Mercedes confirmed that there is voltage on the cable to the light and connected a regular bulb across the terminals; which worked! This is now completely baffling to me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Does anyone have a diagram of the pin layout for this switch? Has anyone taken one apart; I would like to have a look inside but I want to be sure that I can get it back together first? I know this is a really small thing but I hate mysteries.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Read and watch these:
https://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/90...regarding.html
- You can actuate the parking brake with your scanner to test it.
- It might also be a faulty wheel speed sensor which detects a moving vehicle while standing still.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:51 PM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi, thanks for your input but perhaps my post was not clear. My parking brake operates correctly. My problem (and I did say it was small) is that the illumination inside the switch has stopped working. That's all. As i've tried 4 second hand switches and Mercedes tried a brand new on and they tested the voltage on the cable I am baffled.
Old 08-15-2024, 03:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Yeah my assumption was that you still have the error 5700 and that there is more to it than meets the eye.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:34 AM

Received 338 Likes on 227 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
Just my two sents, I think it is a defective wheel sensor. Are all of your wheel sensors original? These are frequent sources of electronic errors.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:07 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi, thank you for your input. All of my wheel sensors are original and the car doesn't have any other faults which rely on the wheel sensors e.g. ABS. I also don't see why a wheel sensor would affect the parking brake internal illumination (this is not the warning light on the dash). Like I mentioned this fault is trivial but the only one that still shows up on my STAR scanner.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the ABS sensors are used to trigger the auto park brake release - they inform the car when a driver (who has the park brake enabled) and has chosen not to manually release, is driving away... hence points in my first posts ages back

when the design to fail ABS sensors at the rear of the car give up, the park brake can go a bit mental

after my initial replies - I looked a few times for strange colours, flashing elements at various time or any illumination of mine and as I recollect nothing happens - as one can't see the switch when sat at the wheel (due to the incompetent design - out of ones eye-line) and it auto releases if one can't remember how to drive, whether it illuminates or not is a trivial matter
Old 08-18-2024, 09:16 AM

Received 338 Likes on 227 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
I suppose you will have to trust me. It is definitely a wheel speed sensor and probably a rear, but don't just replace one. BOTUS, who is one of the more knowledgeable and discerning members of this forum, has explained it to you. You just need to listen.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 404 Posts
222 S-65
Martin.... Like a fussy mistress the car will always have something to ***** about when queried. Usually a dozen or more things to ***** about... none of which really effect how the car operates. Yours has one. Deep breaths.... Let it go. LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnLane:
doni01 (08-18-2024), vettebk (08-18-2024)