S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Exhaust gurus advice needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 09:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221 S500 Biturbo 2011
Exhaust gurus advice needed!

So I recently removed the resonators on my W221 S500 BITURBO as a lot of info suggesting that this is an easy route to louder / better sound.

Well after a week of driving it around like that I concluded that while I quite like the increase in volume, the tone has changed. Before, itt had a fairly AMG tone (albeit very quiet) before but now it has more of a generic V8 sound (no bad thing of course but not what I'm looking for from this vehicle). I can hear a lot more engine and not necessarily in a good way (no drone though).

I think there's already a stock H pipe further up, between the driver's doors so figured adding an H-pipe won't help.

On a whim I cut open one of the resonators and this is what I found...

As you can see, there's a smaller diameter pipe in each resonator that has an open end that goes into a cavity as well as a separate section of perforated pipe surrounded by a sort of fibreglass material.

I was planning on just having the resonators welded back in but then I thought that I could remove the fibreglass material from each resonator and have it welded back in without. My thinking was that this would mean I get the deeper tone from the resonator (probably to do with that pipe) but with slightly more volume. What do people think? Is this a good idea or not and what do you think the resulting sound profile will be when compared to stock?

For context here's a photo of one of the resonators...

Old 07-03-2024, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 510 Likes on 380 Posts
222 S-65
We did just that with the E-55 years ago. Mo NASCAR!
The following users liked this post:
Senecat (07-07-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 12:40 AM

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
I removed my resonators and I really like the sound. As for removing the fiberglass and welding back in, I would say no. It will probably produce more of a "tin can" sound IMO.

Add an X-Pipe if you want to tone down the classic V8 sound.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 863 Likes on 721 Posts
S500
car drivers with 3 year old exhaust have got motorbikes banned from national parks in the pyrenees

the childish farts modern car make that sound pathetic and are hideous is outrageous - if you want to hear something you like upgrade to an amp that has some power and puts some sound on - don't ruin the environment and everyone else life being 3 years old

the best bit is all the stupidity loses shed loads of power and ruins the shape of the power and torque curves - so its counter productive, (and even more stupid if you have an autobox as the the loses exacerbate as box was tuned to a decent curve not the mess you now have)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221 S500 Biturbo 2011
Originally Posted by JohnLane
We did just that with the E-55 years ago. Mo NASCAR!
Originally Posted by cruiser02
I removed my resonators and I really like the sound. As for removing the fiberglass and welding back in, I would say no. It will probably produce more of a "tin can" sound IMO.

Add an X-Pipe if you want to tone down the classic V8 sound.
Have seen this view shared - that the fibreglass does help the tone

You say an X pipe to 'tone down' the sound, what do you mean exactly? Make it quieter? Deeper?

Originally Posted by BOTUS
car drivers with 3 year old exhaust have got motorbikes banned from national parks in the pyrenees

the childish farts modern car make that sound pathetic and are hideous is outrageous - if you want to hear something you like upgrade to an amp that has some power and puts some sound on - don't ruin the environment and everyone else life being 3 years old

the best bit is all the stupidity loses shed loads of power and ruins the shape of the power and torque curves - so its counter productive, (and even more stupid if you have an autobox as the the loses exacerbate as box was tuned to a decent curve not the mess you now have)
Completely with you on fart can hot hatches that produce a sound that's unattractive to the ears. You'll note I'm not looking to make my vehicle sound like a loud motorbike or even a stock Mercedes AMG - I just want to be able to hear the V8 a bit more. That being said, tone and melody is more important to me than volume so as it stands my current plan is to just replace the resonators as they were - at least I loved the tone then, even if it was a bit quiet.

Old 07-04-2024, 01:57 PM

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
An X-Pipe allows for smoother airflow (when compared to an H-Pipe) while connecting the two sides. Therefore, you will have more of an exotic sound and less pronounced "V8" sound.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
one episode of vicegrip garage they play with a lot of different aftermarket silencers - prob 3 months back - magnaflow was a new one they tried (I think and if so I think a UK brand) was way better than many established ones did it with audio on vid to hear for yourself
Old 07-06-2024, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
here we go 7 months back..... 46 mins in - but this whole project was a good one

note if you have turbos - all the tinny raspy window breaking racket that is very wearing on NA cars gets used up creating boost....

Last edited by BOTUS; 07-06-2024 at 03:57 AM.