S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Someone in my Apt. Building already has the new S550 (Chicago) [Pic]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Lexus ES350
Someone in my Apt. Building already has the new S550 (Chicago) [Pic]

I live DownTown Chicago and on my way to work I saw this in my parking garage... I don't know if the car is Titled or just a weekend loaner for a potential customer... In person, it doesn't really have the demanding presence like the W221, but its still a nice car to look at.
Attached Thumbnails Someone in my Apt. Building already has the new S550 (Chicago) [Pic]-image.jpg  

Last edited by Kay_0; 10-06-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Kay_0
I live DownTown Chicago and on my way to work I saw this in my parking garage... I don't know if the car is Titled or just a weekend loaner for a potential customer... In person, it doesn't really have the demanding presence like the W221, but its still a nice car to look at.
My dealer's GM is using their demo so you never really know why the car is on the streets before the release date.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM

2010 S550
^^Exactly... Many reasons for demo on the road; dealership owner, employee, extended trial...
Only way to be certain of sale is to see temp registration papers stickered to the lower passenger side front window...
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 AM

2013 Lexus ES350
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
My dealer's GM is using their demo so you never really know why the car is on the streets before the release date.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a Dealer demo only because Illinois requires all vehicles to have a visible front license plate... And this one doesn't even have a plate bracket. Then again, some people don't care about the "front plate" law and just pay the fines if and whenever they get caught...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I saw one on the road and agree about its presence. The member who posted buying one already said that the reactions he got were equally as muted. IMO it carries more of that W220 (softer) character with clear architectural likening to the W221.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Interesting. Having seen the W221 and W222 both in silver side by side, I think the W222 has much more presence.

IMO, the W221 looks underwhelming without the sport package, yet muscular and perfectly balanced with it while the W222 sport package design is almost invisible. You can see a bit based on the Daylight running lights, but that's about it. The wheels are the big differentiator here.

Same with the S63; very subtle. That said, it suppose it makes it more elegant and less in your face which is the right message for a luxury car like the S.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM

2013 Lexus ES350
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Interesting. Having seen the W221 and W222 both in silver side by side, I think the W222 has much more presence.

IMO, the W221 looks underwhelming without the sport package, yet muscular and perfectly balanced with it while the W222 sport package design is almost invisible. You can see a bit based on the Daylight running lights, but that's about it. The wheels are the big differentiator here.

Same with the S63; very subtle. That said, it suppose it makes it more elegant and less in your face which is the right message for a luxury car like the S.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the W222 has ZERO presence.... But the only reason it caught my eye in my garage is because I love cars and I admire and have been anticipating seeing one in person since the photos leaked some months back... To any other person it'll probably look like a Silver Mercedes with out any second thoughts or glances, it really doesn't demand your attention the way the W221's did when they first hit the streets and still do to this date. I'm not saying this is a bad thing because the car is gorgeous IMO, it just doesn't demand your undivided attention like its predecessor.

Last edited by Kay_0; 10-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the W222 has ZERO presence.... But the only reason it caught my eye in my garage is because I love cars and I admire and have been anticipating seeing one in person since the photos leaked some months back... To any other person it'll probably look like a Silver Mercedes, it really doesn't demand your attention the way the W221's did when they first hit the streets and still do to this date. I'm not saying this is a bad thing because the car is gorgeous IMO, it just doesn't demand your undivided attention like its predecessor.
From the front look like you showed in the garage stall it is definitely a less aggressive looking car than the sport-package W221. Seeing the car free standing definitely outshines the old one.

Hence I pondered how I like what MB has done to the sport package designs altogether.
It used to be the straight-up body kit of the AMG models, but that has changed in recent year; most likely to make the AMG models stand out a bit more.

That said, I think that MB is simply repositioning the S-Class to be a step-up in elegance and hence a bit more understated on the shapes. This is the first one in a long line-up of higher prices S-Class versions to come (Coupe, convertible, long version and Pullman)
Old 10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
I saw one on the road and agree about its presence. The member who posted buying one already said that the reactions he got were equally as muted. IMO it carries more of that W220 (softer) character with clear architectural likening to the W221.
The most important thing is that is still looks like a Mercedes.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
The W222's a really BFC's. It took several steps to walk from one end to the other.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:45 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
From the front look like you showed in the garage stall it is definitely a less aggressive looking car than the sport-package W221. Seeing the car free standing definitely outshines the old one.

Hence I pondered how I like what MB has done to the sport package designs altogether.
It used to be the straight-up body kit of the AMG models, but that has changed in recent year; most likely to make the AMG models stand out a bit more.

That said, I think that MB is simply repositioning the S-Class to be a step-up in elegance and hence a bit more understated on the shapes. This is the first one in a long line-up of higher prices S-Class versions to come (Coupe, convertible, long version and Pullman)
The W222 is significantly understated vs. it predecessor. I think it is a reflection of the times we live in. Understated elegance goes a long way in not drawing unwanted negative attention. Also, I am sure the W222 will age nicely. I quite like how the car has a cleaner more cohesive exterior. BMW did the same with the 5 and I think they have the nicest looking version of that car as a result.

The W222 has a huge repeat customer base. Present company included. It is one of those cars that does not require a resume on its window to justify its existence. MB has made a beautiful car in my opinion and spend most of their time where it matters the most to us S-class customers which is the interior.

Finally this is the first S-Class that looks great to my eyes with and without the sport pkg. I would have never had the previous S class without the sport pkg and I hated what MB did to if after the facelift. The front grill looked forced and the rear lights were not fitting of the car.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by LETO
The W222 is significantly understated vs. it predecessor. I think it is a reflection of the times we live in. Understated elegance goes a long way in not drawing unwanted negative attention. Also, I am sure the W222 will age nicely. I quite like how the car has a cleaner more cohesive exterior. BMW did the same with the 5 and I think they have the nicest looking version of that car as a result.

The W222 has a huge repeat customer base. Present company included. It is one of those cars that does not require a resume on its window to justify its existence. MB has made a beautiful car in my opinion and spend most of their time where it matters the most to us S-class customers which is the interior.

Finally this is the first S-Class that looks great to my eyes with and without the sport pkg. I would have never had the previous S class without the sport pkg and I hated what MB did to if after the facelift. The front grill looked forced and the rear lights were not fitting of the car.
Nice assessment.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think we are in full agreement on the W222. Very elegant and nicely flowing lines. The front-end is nicely done as well, something MB doesn't have a perfect track record with as of late. No fan of the new E-Class grill and it took me several months to decide on the new SL because I couldn't get used to the front-end, primarily the headlights. Am slowly getting used to it but the rest of the car is very well balanced and it is the best driving SL by a long shot.

Just like the SL, I think the previous S-Class will start looking dated more quickly...

Btw. Interesting to note that on the SL, MB doesn't even offer the non-sport package version in the US
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 PM

190E,w124 E320,w210 E320,R129 SL320, w220 S500
I have done so many research on the W222, I have not seen one bad review about the car, that guy K-A sure can find one somewhere for us. The car is just gorgeous inside and out, the w221 is a beautiful car, but, thisvone just scream elegance, which is what a S-class is all about, glad MB went back to their root.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 AM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Originally Posted by K-A
I think it is because they did away with the big fender flares. That is probably the most noticeable thing about the S550 V221. For a while it was the only MB with fenders like that. They also make the wheels look alot better with the wide fenders.

My guess is that they took away the big fenders for this model V222 on purpose to save them for a possible Black Series S-class that will call on the need to have the wide fenders and differentiate it. Hey, they are gonna make an E-class AMG coupe next model and we have a G65 and GL63, even a freakin G63 6x6, so I'm sure a S65 AMG black series isnt too far out of an idea. Anyone agree on the possibility?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
I really feel like we're a society in which things grow on us over time, and we get amnesia. When the 221 came out, there was a big uproar that it was a disgrace to the design theme of MB, and people said MB ruined the car. 7 years later, the 221 is "classic", has "presence", "timeless", "beautiful". Funny how we mentally change our perception as time passes.

I put my money on this fact.....in 8 years the W223 will catch hell on it's release as being beneath the W222 in beauty, design, and heritage.

Always entertaining reading release comparisons......
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Kratos: Unlike the past reception for the W222 has been the most positive reception I have seen for any MB is a bit. Especially from customers and journalists whose opinions carry some weight
Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Kratos: Unlike the past reception for the W222 has been the most positive reception I have seen for any MB is a bit. Especially from customers and journalists whose opinions carry some weight
I believe it. And this further convinces me that 8 years from now, people will sing 222 praises and call it a classic.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Arab_Homie
I think it is because they did away with the big fender flares. That is probably the most noticeable thing about the S550 V221. For a while it was the only MB with fenders like that. They also make the wheels look alot better with the wide fenders.

My guess is that they took away the big fenders for this model V222 on purpose to save them for a possible Black Series S-class that will call on the need to have the wide fenders and differentiate it. Hey, they are gonna make an E-class AMG coupe next model and we have a G65 and GL63, even a freakin G63 6x6, so I'm sure a S65 AMG black series isnt too far out of an idea. Anyone agree on the possibility?
Interesting points.