Navigation gone insane?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Navigation gone insane?!

So Yesterday I was driving home from Pennsylvania to Brooklyn.

I had written directions from my friend - as well as WAZE giving me directions.

I typed in my home address as normal. I also selected highways (which was the default).

Clicked Begin Route Guidance.

From then on - it was basically a ***** show.

It literally disagreed with every single direction waze gave me (and the written notes which ended up matching with waze).

It literally told me to do the opposite of everything I knew to be correct.

Even as I was getting off the Verezanno Bridge - if you stay left - you get right on the belt which is a direct route to the exit which goes to our home. It told me to go right - to get on the BQE which is NOT at ALL a direct route.

The same crap is happening in other vehicles of ours too - as well as the NAV of my friend in his neck of the woods.

Anyone else having issues? Whats going on?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Simple explanation. MB headquarters is pissed at you for driving Range Rover lately. And sitting (and admiring) Rolls Royce doesn't help either.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
can't wait til some manufacturer integrates Waze into their app selection
Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Red Marko
Simple explanation. MB headquarters is pissed at you for driving Range Rover lately. And sitting (and admiring) Rolls Royce doesn't help either.
LOL.

So weird though. Waze said go right, MB said go left.

Every Single Time.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Easy check. Right before that fork, map it with Google, Waze (yes I know it's owned by Google) and your NAV and note the arrival times.

Then use the fastest one and see what happens.

A few weeks ago went from downtown NY to UWS, Waze told me to thru the Holland Tunnel, north in NJ and back to NY via the Lincoln Tunnel - I listened and beat my co worker, who stayed on the west side highway, by almost 15 minutes. In an area like the NE where hundred of 1000s are on Waze or Google, I default to them vs an outdated NAV system Sirius traffic or not.

Last edited by jenz; 05-22-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
My wife's Nav system (although not in a MB) is also bass ackwards from routes I would normally take, what other GPS system state, etc. A lot of it has to do with the settings (avoid toll roads, fastest route vs shortest route, etc.). I can save literally 30 minutes on a trip by going a certain two-lane road for 30 miles in order to pick up an Interstate than by taking larger highways to pick up the same highway 20 miles via that route. The only problem with that route is, even though it is shorter mileage wise, there are a lot of traffic lights and traffic in general along that route... So even though it is 10 miles shorter, it ends up being 30 minutes longer... Apps like Waze and even the iPhone GPS can see this type of thing do to the data being collected from other drivers. MB's GPS can't. Yes, it can get traffic updates, but we all know that these updates are delayed while Waze/etc. are updated instantaneously... Also, it can be that the route on MB software is physically shorter by even a few tenths of a mile so it assumes it is the best route (which is where settings come in)....
Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
aw man, I really misjudged you Chucky, never thought you were the type to use nav and then complain about it..............sheesh, I feel so violated
Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by jenz
Easy check. Right before that fork, map it with Google, Waze (yes I know it's owned by Google) and your NAV and note the arrival times.

Then use the fastest one and see what happens.

A few weeks ago went from downtown NY to UWS, Waze told me to thru the Holland Tunnel, north in NJ and back to NY via the Lincoln Tunnel - I listened and beat my co worker, who stayed on the west side highway, by almost 15 minutes. In an area like the NE where hundred of 1000s are on Waze or Google, I default to them vs an outdated NAV system Sirius traffic or not.

On one of my cars I have a very low profile tire. I've got so impressed with Waze when it alerted me on upcoming big potholes.
Very, very impressed.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM

S, GL
Originally Posted by Red Marko
On one of my cars I have a very low profile tire. I've got so impressed with Waze when it alerted me on upcoming big potholes.
Very, very impressed.
Yes potholes and police, 2 reasons that keep me on Waze above all others
Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
does it tell you when to go potty too?

what ever happened to DRIVING RESPONSIBLY???
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM

S, GL
Originally Posted by hyperion667
does it tell you when to go potty too?

what ever happened to DRIVING RESPONSIBLY???
More information earlier = driving responsibly

Prevents me from a last minute swerve, blowout or slamming on the brakes, seems very responsible to me

And I don't think I need to tell you the benefit of being able to avoid being pulled over
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by jenz
More information earlier = driving responsibly

Prevents me from a last minute swerve, blowout or slamming on the brakes, seems very responsible to me

And I don't think I need to tell you the benefit of being able to avoid being pulled over
certainly not, I have pulled plenty.......I know when I'm being bad, and know when I'm being good..............but all this tech to make us lazier.......it just sickens me.........will you guys blame waze when it doesn't warn you about a pot hole? maybe sue waze for it? you know us American's "sue crazy"....

how long until there's a lawsuit against waze for some butthole not paying attention?