S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Lane assist suddenly applies handle control???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG S63, S550
Lane assist suddenly applies handle control???

Just a question with lane assist. I was driving today and several times without warning the handle swerved me back into the lane and applied slight braking. My problem is that it is not consistent with when it does it. I can drift to the center line and have it do nothing and then out of the blue it will apply it. My AMG S63 does not do any of this at all thus far. Could it be possible that it is faulty?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 2015
Maybe you trying to change the lane without using the light indicator which makes the car think that you're moving out of the lane unintentionally.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 PM

2015 S550
A lot has to do with the lines (markings) in the road.
Beige/Espresso Brown Exclusive Nappa Leather
Head-Up Display
20" Wheels
Splitview
Rear Seat and Executive Rear seat Packages
Warmth & Comfort Control
Surround View Camera
Driver Assist Package
Rear Seat Entertainment Package
Sport Package
Premium 1 Package
Comfort Box
Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 PM

2015 S550, 2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon, 2014 Audi RS7,2013 SL550, & 2011 CL550
It has to do with how vivid the lane markings are. It occurs when you veer into another lane without directional signals. It is an active system and occurs all of the time - at least in 2013 SL, 2014 E63 AMG-S and 2015 S550
Old 06-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,460 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Yes it's annoying
Old 06-17-2015, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 228 Posts
S600
You momentarily disable lane tracking by turning on your blinker.
Yes, it is terribly annoying--until its real.

Most of the time I leave it off.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:19 PM

2015 S550, 2015 GL 550
I just leave mine off since a couple times it applied the brakes rather harshly and scared my wife.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM

AMG S63, S550
Thanks guys, that is good to know. I think I may just turn it off.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 228 Posts
S600
Imagine some time in the future when all cars have lane assist::
Now imagine a terrorist with a bucket of paint that repaints the direction of the lane lines one night so the lane assist steers the car into an obstacle or over a cliff.....
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Imagine some time in the future when all cars have lane assist::
Now imagine a terrorist with a bucket of paint that repaints the direction of the lane lines one night so the lane assist steers the car into an obstacle or over a cliff.....
Technically the steering into an obstacle will not happen because the lane markings are detected by the visual sensors and the ultrasonic and radar sensors will still see the obstacles and will not let the car drive into an obstacle. The radar should still detect the edge of a cliff as well and don't forget it has some situational awareness based on GPS and map data as well.

Most modern autonomous driving systems employ multiple sensors and layers of data.

In a not so distant future the driving systems in a car will be as capable of handling these situations a human being. As these systems are developed and tested they end up having the combined driving experience of a person who has driven for hundreds of years essentially and the best case actions to take in each situation programmed into the system.

The concept is called Deep Learning and it is pretty amazing technology.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 AM

AMG S63, S550
That is some pretty interesting stuff. BTW, how do you like your Tesla?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by JapanDave
That is some pretty interesting stuff. BTW, how do you like your Tesla?
Love the Model S and the P85D driving experience is superlative. It's been our most satisfying car purchase ever. If you want to discuss further, please PM me directly or post on the thread below as I don't want to post anything else about the Tesla on this thread as that is off topic for this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...e-s550-12.html
Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 PM

E63S, G63, S600
My understanding of Active Lane Keeping Assist is that it will only brake you back into your lane if there is a chance of a collision. I've tried letting the car veer out of its lane when there are no other cars around me and all I get are pulses on the wheel.

I have set LKA to 'Adaptive' in the settings, is it supposed to be braking itself back into its lane regardless?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
In a not so distant future the driving systems in a car will be as capable of handling these situations a human being. As these systems are developed and tested they end up having the combined driving experience of a person who has driven for hundreds of years essentially and the best case actions to take in each situation programmed into the system.

The concept is called Deep Learning and it is pretty amazing technology.
Right up until a Moose runs into the road, panics, stops, and the car in front of you swerves left, then right. At which point all bets are off.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 AM

AMG S63, S550
Originally Posted by yamanote
My understanding of Active Lane Keeping Assist is that it will only brake you back into your lane if there is a chance of a collision. I've tried letting the car veer out of its lane when there are no other cars around me and all I get are pulses on the wheel.

I have set LKA to 'Adaptive' in the settings, is it supposed to be braking itself back into its lane regardless?
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my experience as well. It only seemed to happen when a car was just ahead of me in the other lane and I got near the center line.

@WEBSRFR, to true, sorry for the OT comment.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Right up until a Moose runs into the road, panics, stops, and the car in front of you swerves left, then right. At which point all bets are off.
What makes you think a human would handle that situation any better?

The point being autonomous systems will never be 100% crash free. I am absolutely certain that statically speaking they will have far fewer accidents by a factor of 5-10X compared to human drivers as these systems when they go live will have the benefit of millions of miles driven and the lessons learned.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
What makes you think a human would handle that situation any better?

The point being autonomous systems will never be 100% crash free. I am absolutely certain that statically speaking they will have far fewer accidents by a factor of 5-10X compared to human drivers as these systems when they go live will have the benefit of millions of miles driven and the lessons learned.
_SOME_ people won't make better decisions. But _I_, however, will.

When buying something, I am not interested in if its good enough for the average person. I am interested only in the quality of my own personal experience. Sorry to be selfish, but as an above average driver, that's just the way it is and will always be.

I don't want the car making decisions until I am confident that it at will least make decisions as good as I would make. For example, dodging (or not dodging depending on circumstances) a kicked up piece of retread. Or electing to hit the deer rather than the oncoming car, but perhaps hit the oncoming car rather than the child.

For example, I can often tell when someone is about to do something stupid from the body language of the car and the driver. Not sure how I know, but I know. So when they pull in front of me, or cut me off, or do some other bonehead thing, I've usually already accounted for it in where I've put the car and how I react.

Yeah, it seems pretty simple to "follow the line". In a finite universe of known use cases, I'd expect pretty good results.

Unfortunately, real word problems/accidents seldom come from the finite foreseen use cases. It's usually those nasty "oh yeah, I never thought about that" edge cases that end up maiming or killing people.

Maybe someday we will have autonomous transport... but I can absolutely guarantee you that it wont be in the next 10 years, and almost guarantee the not in the next 25.

Last edited by nycphotography; 06-26-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 S580 Selenite
Mine only brakes when getting near a solid line (far left/right lanes), changing lanes it will only vibrate the wheel without using the signal.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 215 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Warehouser
Mine only brakes when getting near a solid line (far left/right lanes), changing lanes it will only vibrate the wheel without using the signal.
Mine acts the same way as yours. It only applies the breaks and the driver's info screen turns red only when crossing a solid line.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Maybe someday we will have autonomous transport... but I can absolutely guarantee you that it wont be in the next 10 years, and almost guarantee the not in the next 25.
I think your timing is a bit conservative. Later this summer I will have mostly autonomous highway driving in my car where pretty much onramp to offramp my car will handle all the driving.

You make a good point about the fringe cases and I think city driving in congested settings can be a challenge but I am certain within the next 10 years the most capable autonomous driving systems will be able to do 95% of the driving far safer than humans. If statistically speaking the autonomous system is 10X safer, I'd say that is great progress and just in the US it means thousands of fewer fatalities each year.

Remember not everyone is a super infallible driver like you When these systems are in wider use, just not getting rear ended by someone not paying attention will be a big deal. Same for cross traffic scenarios where those accidents can be pretty much eliminated with radar, optical, and laser sensor systems.